1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Guess Moschetti is Not a Hawkins Fan Either...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Idot Buff, May 17, 2010.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Feeding recruits to NU....gimme a break....

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/05/13/football/doc4bec8db570f99517095548.txt?orss=1

2. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I miss the days when people talked about our coaches and said that they would take kids ability to the next level.

3. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

Can't really fault him for that IMO.

4. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

Moschetti is right to get his kid into a good football school, can't blame him for sending him to NU over New Mexico or Wyoming...perhaps he could have landed at CU but we don't offer anybody over 3 star potential. These days we likes guys who are close, and can do the little things, and who are just about to pop....meaning average...slow...and can qualify.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Yuk, yuk. Funny guy.

6. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Didn't MM send us a running back in this last class?

7. Buffsfan09

Buffsfan09 Member

Yeah, Justin Torres I believe. He probably would send everybody we offer...but we don't offer.

8. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Given the choice between a 4-star who is not the son of a coach, or a 2-star who is the son of a coach, which one is the better fit for the Dan Hawkins system?

9. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

The one with the bigger lunchpail?

10. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Moschetti's job is to do right by his kids, he doesn't owe anything to Hawk. This is a sh**ty situation right now with our program, but I don't blame him one bit for recommending NU, just like I don't blame Logan for sending his kids to other schools.

11. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I don't believe this has anything to do with his relationship with Hawkins. His job is to use his contacts to get his players a good opportunity. Look at Dave Logan who coaches right in Metro Denver for a football factory very few of his players stay home and play for CU.

The thing I would be concerned about is that CU did not use their connection with Moschetti to see if the young man is a real player (or maybe they did).

12. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Doesn't look to me like Moschetti did anything wrong. I don't think anyone can dispute Nebraska's historical position in the landscape of college football.

13. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I know we all talk about certain coaches "delivering" their student-athletes here or there, particulary in the AAU circuit of basketball.

But the fact of the matter is, how much influence do the coaches/handlers really have? Assuming no shady shenanigans... if I were recruited to play D-1 football or basketball, I'd do right by me, not by my high school or AAU coach. So if I played for MM, sure I'd listen to him and likely consider whomever he recommended. But I'd follow my heart, not his.

14. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

This. As a high school coach you do what is best for your kids. You can't play favorites.

15. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

High School coaches have a lot of influence, I don't think football is anything like Basketball as far as recruiting but a coach can have a lot of influence. You say do right by yourself but how are you going to determine that? You need input from people and a coach who has gone down that path is a great resource.

What I really find the most interesting is how well MM is doing in HS coaching. He has really turned that HS program around and is developing some good players. Would not be surprised to see him on a college staff in a few years if that is what he wants.

16. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Good for MM. I am sure the player appreciates his work in getting him to a historical football power.

It is not MM's fault that CU is not interested in the handful of Division 1 recruits his school will churn out this year.

17. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I don't blame Mike either. When Talkins is gone, this kind of thing will stop. Until then, this is just another liabilty for the team as long Hawkins is here.

18. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I would like to see MM officiate a game between ISU and the Huskers, and manage the clock when Henery comes out to kick FG's. *cough*fmr NU QB clete blakeman*cough*

19. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Depending on the coach/player relationship: a coach can have a lot of influence. There are a couple players on the CU roster right now who might not be there except for the advice of their HS coach. If a coach says "don't go to XYZ school, I heard that guy is nuts" or "you know, Coach so-and-so developed an NFL player who reminds me of your play"... the kids listen. With recruiters and friends all whispering in their ears, they generally believe their high school coach is on their side, and looking out for their best interests.

The deal here is, CU did not show interest and another school did. The HS coach MM got his player the best shot at playing in college available in his opinion. Forever Buff or not, his current loyalty has to be to the players he is coaching. I hold nothing against him for saying positive things in the interview about the school his player will attend. The school who offered his player. It's maturity, it's what he has to do.

20. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

And is this is a big deal because....

21. CUBuff98

CUBuff98 Club Member Club Member

The one who gallops in on a unicorn, lunch pail and hard-hat, with a thermos full of kool-aid?