1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like our defense

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Credible PAC-12 defense and nice blend of experience and youth. I think the 2014 defense has the potential to be as good as the 2006-2007 defenses. Only real gripe is no elite pass rusher, but maybe we can mask that going forward. Also, forgot to mention... forcing turnovers! It is no longer an accident, this defense seems opportunistic.

2. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

They definitely have been a pleasant surprise this year.

3. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Agreed. This defense is good but also fun to watch! They make **** happen!!!

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I like our offense, too. They didn't get the job done against OSU, and won't against UO, but they have the pieces in place to score some points when they gel.

5. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

I like this thread and I like the buffs. D has been exciting this year.

Semper Gumby

6. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

I like whiskey, and the Buffs.

7. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

It's solid. I wish we could rush the passer better, but it is what it is.

8. BuffClass90

The D's turnaround clearly demonstrates what coaching can do.

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

We have a pass rusher. CUD is a very good off the edge. His problem is that right now we don't have anyone else who is much of a threat so teams can put full effort into stopping him nobody else picks up the slack.

For all his failings though Embree did leave us with some hope in terms of DTs who can maintain the line of scrimmage. LBs are a nother weakness. Gillam may be the best young LB we have seen here in years but Webb and Greer are MWC level at best. The DBs are a pleasant surprise. Hendo is a quality CB. Not the fastest or quickest guy out there but fast and quick enough and he continues to step up and make plays. I know people are down on Crawley but he is still very raw. He should have had a RS year but there was nobody else to play so he did. He reminds me of one of those guys who was so talented that in HS he never had to worry about technique because he could mess up and still dominate. Now he is trying to learn technique on the run and overcome the bad habits he got last year with the prior staff. Bell has stepped up more than I thought he would at safety, Orms is staying healthy and still making plays while avoiding msot of the stupid plays he made over the last few years. We have some young guys guys there I'm interested in seeing as well.

Certainly not a great defense but one that has more promise than we have seen in recent years.

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Addison Gillam at MLB is great.

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

I failed to mention that Chido looks to be a serious talent on D as well. Athletic and with an instict to make plays.

12. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Gillam is great as is henderson. Need an elite pass rusher and more speed on the back 7.

13. BuffClass90

Wait. I thought this staff couldn't recruit :)

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Its nice to be average. It sucks we are celebrating it.

15. BuffClass90

please keep your bedroom talk private. Lol...JK...I should get to sleep :)

16. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I don't believe CUD is elite in pass rushing. He's our best by far. We are struggling there for sure. We have been relatively assignment correct, which is about 80% better than last year's joke of a Defense. A lot of progress, but to be expected. I don't think even the critics thought that Baer wasn't an adequate DC, if not a very good one. Throw in HCMM's emphasis...

I'd expect better coverage (kick/punt) as a result of better tackling and assignment football. Got to admit that the ST coaching hire looks awful at this point.

17. Eggon

Eggon Club Member Club Member

ST play feels like it's jinxed. Literally. Could they please make a better showing soon? Geez. Feeling ok about our development otherwise and do agree defense has shown good effort thus far. Very curious how this plays out on Sat. In terms of which players on CU show up and dig in. Goliath will no doubt bring it.

18. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Well, you came from Iolani, so you must be used to it. Punahou burn!

19. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

perfectly put.

20. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Go Buff n Blue!!!!

21. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I'm encouraged by the changes in process with our defense.

22. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Same. Someone mentioned it in another thread, but the underneath routes have been wide open so far. Oregon St. killed us with it, and it was the only routes CSU had any success with. Need to work on that.

23. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Wait... Snow didn't go to Punahou? I thought he went to Punahou. Pretty sure he went to Punahou. Nobody's ever heard of Iolani.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

24. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

LB's not playing deep enough and safety's playing to deep

25. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

True, but no real gashers yet. When your D forces longer drives, you get more opportunities for turnovers. Pick your poison.

26. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I see a lot of jealousy from punahou peeps in this thread. Sorry you weren't smart enough.

27. Buff_nc

Buff_nc Club Member Club Member

That's kind of by design, right? Seems like the priority has been
    (a) stop the run - good job so far
    (b) don't get beat with the big play over the top like last year - well, we get a juice box for this one so far.

28. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

We need more height at DE and LB. More speed at LB. But the defense is starting to take shape. Not so sure about other areas on the team.

29. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Almost through the 1st half finally...

-Crawley has shown very little effort so far. Gave up on a tackle after he got beat by Cooks and then just stopped running instead of intercepting the ball after a overthrow by Mannion
    -D. Webb just isn't very good
    -Parker and CUD actually had some success getting in the backfield
    -That first INT by Wood.....ouch that was ugly
    -Poor reffing on the DD catch review, new play had already started before the whistle was blown...poor fundamentals

The defense definitely did their part in the 1st half to keep us in the game (along with some drops by OSU). The offensive playcalling (especially on 3rd downs) was very unimaginative and looked like we were playing to not lose. Adkins looks good, the spin moves he does when he gets wrapped up nets a couple extra yards.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  30. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

Rep for good analysis thus far. I, too, was disappointed in Lindgren's efforts in this game until late, when they ran "up-tempo" to good effect. Shoulda started that way and worn down a very shallow OSU "D"; rather than run "straight up", which played into OSU's untutored (no CU film history) plans. It was time for the "O" playbook to be wide open and instead it was closed down.

Plus, I believe the lay-off and the psychology of two weeks of nothing but discouraging flood news, followed by the huge weather-related reminder of that SNAFU when the Buffs stepped off the plane, got to everybody more than we would have imagined; just a lack of 100% focus. Its called "human nature".

As for the "D" great progress has been made on many fronts. But Crawley's personal skills, such as playing every play 100% start to finish and trying to make a play, do need further refinement. Again, human nature based on his experience under the Great Greg Brown last season: no teaching, except for: "Try not to get beat".

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013