1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Benson, DiStephano and Bohn are serious about being serious...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sackman, Nov 29, 2012.

1. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

What I'd really like to see from them is an effort to learn from other programs. I don't think they collectively have the necessary knowledge of what it takes to run a top tier athletic program. I would really like to see them go to places like Washington, Wisconsin, Florida, Georgia and Oklahoma and see for themselves the kind of commitment those schools have to their athletic programs. What kind of support systems are in place there? What kind of facilities do they have, and what are they planning? How does the school fund athletics in those places? I don't want us to go into this process blind. We need a roadmap to follow.

2. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

They need to find every historical document, all of the meeting minutes and any recordings from Gordon Gee's time @ CU and listen to them until their ears bleed.

3. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

If I recall during the press conference (or somewhere else), I believe the 1 Benson comment was right along that line.....He's visited all the facilities in the Pac 12 and talked to most of those schools and has seen we are FAR Behind them and Must make a commitment

Now whether they are smart enough to ask the right questions, get the right information and actually make the commitment needed is still up in the air....but I've seen more from this Admin group over the past week then anything over the past 10 years, so I'm cautiously cautiously optimistic

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

:nod:

And CU already does this at other levels. Before we implemented ISIS (our new computer system) we went to University of Michigan and university of Texas to see how it was working for those schools. I believe Michigan was the first school to run ISIS.

5. Gold

Gold Well-Known Member

Benson was in Mexico during the press conference, he's on it. Dude knows his futbol.

6. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

I'd like to see a push to overturn whatever law prevents multiyear contracts for assistants in Colorado. Is it just me or shouldn't that be relatively straightforward

7. sackman

Respectfully disagree. Gordon Gee is long gone, and the way things were done 25 years ago is not relevant to how they need to be done today. It's a very different world of college athletics. We need to learn from the schools that have set the bar. I'm not saying that we go all in like Alabama or Texas. We don't have that kind of mentality here, and frankly I don't think we want it. I do think we can learn a lot from schools like Oklahoma or Florida, though.

8. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Nope. It's in the state consitution, because people vote for **** without really knowing what they're voting for.

/political rant

EDIT: what might be a little more likely is a exemption for universities and colleges, but who knows if people would even agree with that.

This is where it gets me really going, because CU gets like 7% of its budget anymore from the state, but those dickwads in Denver still think they should have a right to tell CU how to do things.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  9. sackman

I'd recommend that only if it is obvious that the lack of multi-year contracts is hurting us. Is it a factor at Wisconsin? I don't know. This could be a straw man, for all we know. It could be a total non-issue.

10. SuperiorBuff

Unlike Ohio State? Gee is extremely relevant.

11. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

So I should return my goat poison? rolldamnbuffalo!

12. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

And I believe Gee is willing to help CU...that game in Columbus last year would have to have Gee's hands on it.

13. sackman

I'm not saying Gee is irrelevant. I'm saying that whatever Gee did 25 years ago is irrelevant. If they want to go to Ohio State and see how things are run there, I'd be totally OK with it. Trying to re-create what worked here 25 years ago isn't going to get us very far, IMO.

14. sackman

No, no. You keep that. It'll come in handy.

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I am sure if Colorado can pass a constitutional amendment allowing weed, they can frame an amendment to abolish the multiyear contract limitation.

16. SuperiorBuff

What I am saying is that his commitment to sports success hasn't changed since he was here.