What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If Tad did leave, what coach would you target?

I think we'd need to continue to have a focus on athleticism and defense in order to fit the current system.

A few thoughts:

Mick Cronin - Cincinnati
Gregg Marshall - Wichita State
Anthony Grant - Alabama
Marvin Menzies - New Mexico State
You can target Anthony Grant but I doubt he would leave Bama for CU. First, he turned down Maryland to stay at Bama. That was a result of the aftermath of the devastation in that state but still. He's an SEC coach, if he's going to leave Bama, it will probably be for Florida after Billy Donovan leaves. I don't think he has any experience on this side of the country. Great coach IMO.

I don't think Gregg Marshall is ideal (but then again who is), but the more I think of it, the more sense he makes.

Steve McClain? I've only seen head coach names in this thread, anyone know of some up and coming assistants? Particularly ones who are great recruiters. I believe this whole discussion will be moot though.

Steve McClain? I've only seen head coach names in this thread, anyone know of some up and coming assistants? Particularly ones who are great recruiters. I believe this whole discussion will be moot though.

There would be a possibility that Pri or Rohn would be promoted from Tad's staff.

We're probably beyond hiring an assistant from outside unless it's a long-time guy at an elite program. On that criteria, the only one I can think of that would really fit would be Joe Dooley. He's been Bill Self's right hand the whole time at KU and is responsible for much of their recruiting. He was a HC at East Carolina a while back and actually had a winning record there. Still in his 40s.

There would be a possibility that Pri or Rohn would be promoted from Tad's staff.

We're probably beyond hiring an assistant from outside unless it's a long-time guy at an elite program. On that criteria, the only one I can think of that would really fit would be Joe Dooley. He's been Bill Self's right hand the whole time at KU and is responsible for much of their recruiting. He was a HC at East Carolina a while back and actually had a winning record there. Still in his 40s.
Is he related to the football Dooleys?

Coach Pri would me my #1. Would make keeping rest of staff and recruiting ties easier. Also, I think Pri is going to be a monster when he finally gets a program.

I'd go with Howland, for all the reasons he didnt work out at UCLA he make it here.

Pri or Rohn.

Both guys are considered big time up-and-comers.

Either that --- or Chauncey.

Chauncey has won polls among NBA players on which current players would be the best coach. Chauncey would have the players respect, the alumni's respect, and kids would fall over themselves to play with him.

Pri or Rohn.

Both guys are considered big time up-and-comers.

Either that --- or Chauncey.

Chauncey has won polls among NBA players on which current players would be the best coach. Chauncey would have the players respect, the alumni's respect, and kids would fall over themselves to play with him.

Does Chauncey even have his degree?

Does Chauncey even have his degree?
I don't think he does, or atleast he didn't when his number was retired in 2005 or 06. I would think there would've been fanfare if he hadn't gotten since then. And yeah that would keep him from getting hired. I don't think any Division I basketball coach doesn't have a 4 year degree. When Sidney Lowe went to NC State, he enrolled in some fast track program to get his degree.

I don't think he does, or atleast he didn't when his number was retired in 2005 or 06. I would think there would've been fanfare if he hadn't gotten since then. And yeah that would keep him from getting hired. I don't think any Division I basketball coach doesn't have a 4 year degree. When Sidney Lowe went to NC State, he enrolled in some fast track program to get his degree.

I don't think Chauncey's number is retired. I think that was just a halftime ceremony honoring him. There's been a bit of confusion over this, and I remember struggling to find the answer last summer when I worked on CU's wikipedia page.

Bieniemy wasn't a head coach...

Even for assistants. One of the reasons that Bzdelik got frustrated was that he had all but hired Harvey Grant as an assistant coach but was told he couldn't since Harvey didn't have his degree.

In football, it was an issue with Brad Bedell being added to the staff when we were desperate to find someone that spring and ended up having to bring in Denver Johnson.

I don't think Chauncey's number is retired. I think that was just a halftime ceremony honoring him. There's been a bit of confusion over this, and I remember struggling to find the answer last summer when I worked on CU's wikipedia page.
I thought that halftime ceremony was his jersey being retired. I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong. Honestly, his number should be retired, it's not UNC where you have to differentiate between "honored" and "retired" numbers, he's clearly in a class with few others in the history of CU basketball.

Back