What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If the Pac-12 could do it over again, should it have taken Okie & Okie Lite?

Should Pac-12 have added OU and OSU?

• Total voters
WEST
1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Oregon
4. Oregon State
5. Cal
6. Stanford
7. UW
8. WSU

EAST
1. CU
2. Texas
3. OU
4. Utah
5. Zona
6. ASU
7. Oklahoma State
8. Baylor

How many times does this "theory" have to be shot down before it stops being brought up again?

The Pac isn't interested in UT. At all. The Longhorn network is a non-starter, and the whorns aren't giving it up. Aside from all the other reasons this will never happen, that trumps them all. The Pac isn't interested in UT. UT isn't interested in the Pac.

And...

Without UT, there aren't any teams in the B12 that bring enough to the table to make it worthwhile to expand.

So...

The idea of adding four B12 teams is a dead and buried idea with zero chance of ever happening.
The Pac is extremely interested in UT - and so is the Big 10. Neither team will accept UT's terms of the Longhorn Network. Things change overtime. If UT would give up the LHN, I would expect an invite within days.

On the flip side, Big 12 seems to be doing just fine, so what would be their impetus for wanting to leave now? The moment of instability seems to have passed, and UT received just crazy terms from their peers in the process. I don't see them interested in leaving regardless of other conferences interest in them.

The Pac is extremely interested in UT - and so is the Big 10. Neither team will accept UT's terms of the Longhorn Network. Things change overtime. If UT would give up the LHN, I would expect an invite within days.

On the flip side, Big 12 seems to be doing just fine, so what would be their impetus for wanting to leave now? The moment of instability seems to have passed, and UT received just crazy terms from their peers in the process. I don't see them interested in leaving regardless of other conferences interest in them.
Did you say "days?"

dr-evil.jpg

Wasn't the talk in the days of the Pac-16 that there would be pods? Northwest, Cali, Mountain, and Southwest?

I think I remember talk of that, and that 16-team conferences would petition the NCAA for two-tier championships - pod champs face off in division championships, division champs face off in conference championships. Frankly, when the megaconferences seemed likely, that's how I thought we were going to get to a 16-team playoff. Division playoffs, CCGs, national semis, title game. It would have worked perfectly from a playoff perspective, but the Big 12 and ACC pulled off some master strokes and
delayed the megaconference. Which is fine with me, because it would **** us.

Anyway, looking at the landscape now, with the Big 12 stabilized, I don't think it's a concern for the foreseeable future. What I'd like to see happen is the Big 12 find a couple of decent mid-majors to pick up and get up to 12 and a CCG again. I think that would even further cement the Big 12 and keep OU and UT firmly entrenched where they are.

Wasn't the talk in the days of the Pac-16 that there would be pods? Northwest, Cali, Mountain, and Southwest?

I think I remember talk of that, and that 16-team conferences would petition the NCAA for two-tier championships - pod champs face off in division championships, division champs face off in conference championships. Frankly, when the megaconferences seemed likely, that's how I thought we were going to get to a 16-team playoff. Division playoffs, CCGs, national semis, title game. It would have worked perfectly from a playoff perspective, but the Big 12 and ACC pulled off some master strokes and
delayed the megaconference. Which is fine with me, because it would **** us.

Anyway, looking at the landscape now, with the Big 12 stabilized, I don't think it's a concern for the foreseeable future. What I'd like to see happen is the Big 12 find a couple of decent mid-majors to pick up and get up to 12 and a CCG again. I think that would even further cement the Big 12 and keep OU and UT firmly entrenched where they are.

Larry Scott never liked the idea of Pods.

I love it, though. Although it looks like it won't ever happen, here's what it would have looked like if we had a Pod setup in a Pac-16 with the addition of UT, TTU, OU and OSU:

Cali Pod
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

NW Pod
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Mountain Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

SW Pod
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Annual scheduling would be: 3 games against the other members of your Pod, 2 games (Home/Away) against members of each of the other 3 Pods. Total of 9 conference games with everyone playing their regional rivals every year and everyone getting one road trip to each of the conference's recruiting/alumni regions every year.

Conference championship would have to be worked out. Either the 4 highest-ranked teams or the winner of each Pod or something else. But probably a 2-round playoff.

I love it, though. Although it looks like it won't ever happen, here's what it would have looked like if we had a Pod setup in a Pac-16 with the addition of UT, TTU, OU and OSU:

Cali Pod
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

NW Pod
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Mountain Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

SW Pod
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Annual scheduling would be: 3 games against the other members of your Pod, 2 games (Home/Away) against members of each of the other 3 Pods. Total of 9 conference games with everyone playing their regional rivals every year and everyone getting one road trip to each of the conference's recruiting/alumni regions every year.

Conference championship would have to be worked out. Either the 4 highest-ranked teams or the winner of each Pod or something else. But probably a 2-round playoff.
I thought this was pure genius - loved it.

I thought this was pure genius - loved it.

Craziest thing about this is that the national perception would be that the Mountain Pod would be the weakest.

However...

Cali Pod - 1 team currently in Top 25
NW Pod - 1 team
SW Pod - 0 teams
Mountain Pod - 3 teams

Cali Pod

Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

NW Pod

Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Mountain Pod

Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

SW Pod

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Tech

Fify

Craziest thing about this is that the national perception would be that the Mountain Pod would be the weakest.

However...

Cali Pod - 1 team currently in Top 25
NW Pod - 1 team
SW Pod - 0 teams
Mountain Pod - 3 teams

LOL - that's nuts. But further proof that we would have been killed if it would have happened a few years ago.

Cali Pod
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC

NW Pod
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Mountain Pod
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah

SW Pod
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
TCU

I really liked the pod format and think CFB would be better off if most conferences were 16 teams with 9 conference games. Would have preserved rivalries and created a balanced rotation of schedules. At the time, I was happy to get away from Texas and the 'arrogance''; however, in retrospect maintaining a presence in the CST zone would have greatly benefited the perception of the conference. Would still jump at the chance to expand if given the chance, but would swap TCU for Texas Tech.

16 with pods and a nine game schedule means teams would see each other a minimum 50% of the time. There are teams in the SEC going nearly a decade without seeing each other. If we ever had the final shake up, it wouldn't be a bad way to go imo

From phone

help out an un-hip transplant. What's the genesis of "Okie lite"? Why is OSU "Okie lite" but KSU not "Kansas lite" or CSU not "Colorado lite"? is there a beer name that sounds like "Okie" this refers to? or is it a Sooner dig that other Big 8 teams adopted back in the day?

help out an un-hip transplant. What's the genesis of "Okie lite"? Why is OSU "Okie lite" but KSU not "Kansas lite" or CSU not "Colorado lite"? is there a beer name that sounds like "Okie" this refers to? or is it a Sooner dig that other Big 8 teams adopted back in the day?

Not sure. Everyone from the Big 8 / Big 12 called them that. They were doormats.

With KU and KSU, both were doormats for a long time.

Wish CSU, they were just irrelevant to anyone.

In case you were wondering about the Big 8 thing about doing NU, KU, OU, MU and CU while all being the University of X...

As I understand it, that was a way of saying that CU is Colorado's University because there's no way that a sheep-****ing agg school represents the vast majority of people from this state.

Back