What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

If CU doesn't make a bowl this year then MM will be gone.

I would expect CU to look at people like...(Bottom two are my favorite, but I just love the first guys name).
Chip Lindsey - Come on, tell me a guy with a name like that shouldn't be a Buff. Otherwise a good but not great hire.
Mike Yurcich - This guy is a rising star within Oklahoma forget Cale Gundy
Josh Heupel - Yeah so he just started at central florida, you got a problem with that?
Geoff Collins So he just took a job at Temple....(easy to hire away from Temple) and excellent defensive guy
Greg Olson - Primarily an NFL assistant, but a guy who has developed college QB's...oh and been a college wrestling coach. What a combo.Watch the Oakland Raiders offense this year, if it blows up this guy will become a hot commodity.
Todd Wash - Lots of recent NFL experience, but started up at Fort Lewis. Proving to be a very good coordinator at Jacksonville
Mike Hankowitz - He spent a lot of time at CU over the years and he is a successful D coordinator pretty much every where he goes. He was here under McCartney and again under Barnett. Just completed a very good year at Northwestern facing teams with tons more talent. His previous association with Barnett.
John DeFilippo - Guys wants to be an NFL head coach, so this may just be out.
Matt Burke - Who the Broncos should have hired from the Miami staff instead of VJ.
Scott Satterfield - App State for life???
Neal Brown - Young, innovative successful and the timing will be right.
Mike Norvell - Doing well at Memphis and really familiar with the PAC12.
There is also a certain ex **** baylor offensive coordinator that is likely to become a very hot commodity for schools that like cheating, which mean CU won't even look at him.

The AllBuffs coach search. Either pull out the crystal ball and drop some obscure names to sound smart, or put a list together of people with NC ambitions that would never come to CU. Well you got Everett Withers at Texas State. How is that for obscure? How 'bout moving up a super coordinator. I'm sure it would be easy as pie to get Venebals or Dave Aranda.

In reality you would probably have to go with a hot G5 coach moving up the ranks...just like we did with MM and Hawk. At the top of the hot coaching lists are Mike Bobo...I'm sure y'all will like him a lot. Then there is Bryan Harsin, cause we haven't had any troubles hiring away coaches from Boise State. Troy Calhoun is getting some looks and we haven't left the mountain west region where all our coaches have come from over the past twenty years.

How is any of this better?

Ah yes, ignore any and all coordinators (except two CU fans know) because it is just not worth pursuing at all. Yes, Mike Bohn would be very proud indeed.

Also, Bobo might be about 8-10 in terms of G5 coaches ready to make the jump, certainly not at the top.

Mike Norvell is gonna be a top-shelf candidate for alot of big schools looking for a coaching change next year. What makes you think we could bring him to CU? Why does he look better than MM did when he came out of taking SJSU to a bowl game as a ranked team?
He's stated before that he would love to coach in the PAC 12 again. CU has everything that you would need to win and recruit at a high level. This isn't like when they hired MM. Also his history at ASU and everyone involved knew he should have been given the keys to that program. If they were able to talk to Norvell early on I think he would be very interested in the CU job.

The path to college football success usually begins with "we realistically probably can't get anyone better." 5 wins a year is good enough guys, firing Mac would be way too risky - we could turn into a 4-win team and who wants that?

If the Buffs win at least 6 games and go to a bowl, I wouldn't expect Mac to get fired. After Hawk and Embree, this is a pretty gun-shy program....

If CU doesn't make a bowl this year then MM will be gone.

I would expect CU to look at people like...(Bottom two are my favorite, but I just love the first guys name).
Chip Lindsey - Come on, tell me a guy with a name like that shouldn't be a Buff. Otherwise a good but not great hire.
Mike Yurcich - This guy is a rising star within Oklahoma forget Cale Gundy
Josh Heupel - Yeah so he just started at central florida, you got a problem with that?
Geoff Collins So he just took a job at Temple....(easy to hire away from Temple) and excellent defensive guy
Greg Olson - Primarily an NFL assistant, but a guy who has developed college QB's...oh and been a college wrestling coach. What a combo.Watch the Oakland Raiders offense this year, if it blows up this guy will become a hot commodity.
Todd Wash - Lots of recent NFL experience, but started up at Fort Lewis. Proving to be a very good coordinator at Jacksonville
Mike Hankowitz - He spent a lot of time at CU over the years and he is a successful D coordinator pretty much every where he goes. He was here under McCartney and again under Barnett. Just completed a very good year at Northwestern facing teams with tons more talent. His previous association with Barnett.
John DeFilippo - Guys wants to be an NFL head coach, so this may just be out.
Matt Burke - Who the Broncos should have hired from the Miami staff instead of VJ.
Scott Satterfield - App State for life???
Mike Norvell - Doing well at Memphis and really familiar with the PAC12.
There is also a certain ex **** baylor offensive coordinator that is likely to become a very hot commodity for schools that like cheating, which mean CU won't even look at him.
This is how a well thought out potential hire list should be put together; excellent job.

Hankowitz is an interesting name to put out there - I honestly didn't realize he was still coaching.

One thing I will say is that if he had been on our sideline, there's no way we lose those games to Arizona running QBs.

I like everything Hankwitz has done for CU, but he should not be in the conversation.
I like that someone is tossing out real names beyond chiv, logan, and miles.

Sort of like a brainstorming session where you don't immediately **** on actual new ideas - even if they're not good on closer inspection.

Honestly, with how much we are on the hook for with MM and his staff, we might get another 5-6 win season and still have him coaching. I think we guaranteed him a lot of money and with that comes another piece that we guarantee, "time." There is too much dead money in the deal for CU. One way that he has kind of set himself up is there is no Jim Leavitt on the team, there appears to be no successor as of yet (hopefully chev can become that guy.) So unless Roper would become interm, MM is coaching the year even if the wheels fall off this season in my eyes. So say that scenario happens and we fire him after the season, we will have a huge coaching contract, and thats before we even begin to look for our new coach. Then assumably, whoever we will hire will want to bring along their own staff and attempt to secure them stability (more multiyear deals to bring guys over.) I think unless a major donor steps in and foots the bill, we will have MM for a couple more years.

Creating an expectation means factoring in all variables. What if Montez gets hurt? What if Javier gets hurt? What if Travon gets hurt? We are not deep enough yet (at least from the outside looking in) to weather some of those variables and keep winning.

So, I'd say there are 3 wins on the season no matter what the variable is. We should beat CSU, UNH, and Oregon State no matter who is healthy.
There are likely 2 losses on the season no matter what the positive variables are. USC and Washington.
All the rest of the games are a mixed bag. If everyone is healthy we should have a chance to win 40-50% of them but we aren't favored to win any of them and you can't objectively say that any of them are "easy wins" and should be expected no matter what. What if Montez is hurt and we still barely lose each of them by less than 7 points?

The fact is we aren't in a position as a program to expect 9 win seasons "no matter what", we don't yet have that kind of booster and fan involvement to . RG and MM have done tremendous work to get us into a position to compete in the Pac-12. That means some years are going to cycle up when the breaks go our way (2016) and some down when the opposite occurs (2017). Stability and a solid foundation are rare in college football coaching unless you win big every year but I have yet to say that we haven't improved the program every year in some way (competitiveness, recruiting, coaching staff, respect, academics, compliance) since MM has gotten here. Until that doesn't happen anymore we haven't hit a plateau that is worth triggering a buyout and starting everything over with a new coaching staff and culture.

Our roster is solid right now and the talent we have in the Senior and Junior class is the best it has been in quite a while. Still not sure we have an on-the-field dynamic leader that we had in Sefo and Phil to lead from the front and take them from good to great. If someone emerges like that either this year or next then we could have another special year.

Troy has been a rising force with Neal Brown there and they know it: Want Neal Brown as your Coach? Pay Troy $3 Million.

Think about that CU would have to buyout Coach Mac, and all of his staff that just received long-term contracts. Anyone who thinks a new coach is going to keep everybody is nuts. Then we would probably have to buyout the new HC from his current school and maybe even some of his assistants.

I think you need to re-read the thread. Not sure anyone set that expectation.
There have been several posts in the thread where people said that unless we are in the NC playoff or win a Pac-12 championship game then they want him gone.

Just look at the schedule and see how many teams have new coaching staffs.

CSU
@Nebraska*
New Hampshire (coach is in his 19th season)
UCLA*
ASU*
@USC
@UW
OSU*
@UA*
WSU
Utah
@Cal

Five teams with new head coaches. If HCMM can't beat those teams with new coaches, how will we be able to beat those teams moving forward? We play all of those teams except OSU next year. That is why anything short of a bowl game is going to be unacceptable. Despite that, CU will probably retain HCMM if he falls just short of a bowl game and D.J. Elliot will be the fall guy.

And I sincerely do not believe that will be what happens this season. Buffs go to a bowl game this year and maybe Jimmy Sexton sweet talks a southern school into taking HCMM off our hands.

Just hire Frost away from cornhole. We've had 2 bowl games since Barnett so we should be able to get just about anybody we want.

Hire Leavitt and maybe we'll be good for the season he's here before he jumps for more cash and a way better program. Maybe promote a not ready Chiv so that we can do the Jon Embree thing all over again. The possibilities are endless.

Let's go hire this year's version of Danny Hawklove or raid San Jose for a newer version of MM so that we can start all over again.

RG is stuck with MM until we either climb completely out of the hole or collapse back into it. 5, 6, or 7 wins is that gray area where RG cannot pull the trigger.

Just look at the schedule and see how many teams have new coaching staffs.

CSU
@Nebraska*
New Hampshire (coach is in his 19th season)
UCLA*
ASU*
@USC
@UW
OSU*
@UA*
WSU
Utah
@Cal

Five teams with new head coaches. If HCMM can't beat those teams with new coaches, how will we be able to beat those teams moving forward? We play all of those teams except OSU next year. That is why anything short of a bowl game is going to be unacceptable. Despite that, CU will probably retain HCMM if he falls just short of a bowl game and D.J. Elliot will be the fall guy.

And I sincerely do not believe that will be what happens this season. Buffs go to a bowl game this year and maybe Jimmy Sexton sweet talks a southern school into taking HCMM off our hands.
Find any "objective" third party that shows us favored in any games except CSU, UNH, and Oregon State. New coaches or not we just barely crawled out of cupcake status into competitive status; still short of "good team" status that would have us favored in more than half the games each and every year.

Yeah, Mike Hankwitz is 70 years old. He was on staff here in '85 when I was in 7th grade. :ROFLMAO:
trump is 72 or 73 and a lot of folks trust him to build the team, call the plays nationally. maybe you should start a movement to impeach him for his age alone

My expectations for this program have dropped dramatically over the last decade plus. I am just not convinced we have the interest or support from the admin or the fan base. There are a variety of reasons for this, no need to get into here, but I think 7-10 win seasons are going to be more rare than we want (under our current structure and support).

I also think MikeMac has improved this team, but I think it has been way too slow. His rebuilding should have started in the trenches. We should have a healthy, full pipeline of OL and DL by now. Not gaps everywhere and young guys playing out of necessity (not because they are stars). I am pleasantly happy and surprised by our WR and CB recruiting. We’ve done really well there. But our OL and DL recruiting (while very recently trending up), was just plain bad for too long. There really is no excuse for the horrible depth and talent problems we have at those positions, and I think you need a good OL and DL to have consistent success. I just don’t understand why that hasn’t been a priority.

Last edited:
Just hire Frost away from cornhole. We've had 2 bowl games since Barnett so we should be able to get just about anybody we want.

Hire Leavitt and maybe we'll be good for the season he's here before he jumps for more cash and a way better program. Maybe promote a not ready Chiv so that we can do the Jon Embree thing all over again. The possibilities are endless.

Let's go hire this year's version of Danny Hawklove or raid San Jose for a newer version of MM so that we can start all over again.

RG is stuck with MM until we either climb completely out of the hole or collapse back into it. 5, 6, or 7 wins is that gray area where RG cannot pull the trigger.
Places like Cal, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Oregon State, Fresno State, Mississippi State, Arizona, and Rice are able to attract solid coaches. Hell, CSU has hired consecutive high-profile SEC coordinators to coach in Ft Collins so there's no reason CU can't attract a really good coach.

Back