What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If you were AD... MacIntyre's job security

South Florida ranked #2 in the country before he punched a kid seems like the next level to me.

Don't get me wrong, he's got some baggage for sure. But his success extends beyond what he may or may not have contributed at CU.
Did they ever prove he actually punched that kid or was it just alleged? I remember that happening but don't recall the details.

South Florida ranked #2 in the country before he punched a kid seems like the next level to me.

Don't get me wrong, he's got some baggage for sure. But his success extends beyond what he may or may not have contributed at CU.

That USF team finished unranked with four losses and then he followed up that season with consecutive 8-5 seasons. Does not scream "next level" to me.

That USF team finished unranked with four losses and then he followed up that season with consecutive 8-5 seasons. Does not scream "next level" to me.
One year when everything clicks for a team isn't necessarily something a coach can replicate - sometimes everything just seems to fall into place. The same could be assumed about Frosty the Bugman and his natty. Or 2016 for Coach MacIntyre; this year will be very telling.

Maybe not scream, but definitely a loud voice. 8-5 seasons are still > 5-7 seasons. So I guess it depends on what the definition of 'next level' is. I think he's next level over what we've seen to this point. I hope MM makes me re-think that point after this coming season.

Pete Kwiatkowski would do too-he's the UW defensive playcaller.
He gave the reins to Lake because they didn't want to lose him to anything but a Head Coaching job, so Lake will call the plays this year. Not sure Pete is too interested in being a HC.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t think anyone is coming here for Mac. If we completely clean house I could see some leave. If we keep the majority of the staff in place and promote Chev then I don’t think it’s an issue at all.
You need to chill with the "make Chev HC" posts lmao. How about we see how the guy does as an OC first. In case you forgot, his unit regressed very far from 2016 to 2017. Don't know why you're so excited to make him a HC before he has any experience as a coordinator. You would be hard pressed to find a HC that went straight from position coach to HC without a coordinator role.

You need to chill with the "make Chev HC" posts lmao. How about we see how the guy does as an OC first. In case you forgot, his unit regressed very far from 2016 to 2017. Don't know why you're so excited to make him a HC before he has any experience as a coordinator. You would be hard pressed to find a HC that went straight from position coach to HC without a coordinator role.
What we need is a guy at the helm who bleeds black and gold....:p

Maybe not scream, but definitely a loud voice. 8-5 seasons are still > 5-7 seasons. So I guess it depends on what the definition of 'next level' is. I think he's next level over what we've seen to this point. I hope MM makes me re-think that point after this coming season.

I guess my point is that Leavitt seems like a solid choice, but not sure his resume suggests he is the first guy you call.

Both Urban and Dabo made the move from WR coach directly to HC. I'm sure there are others, but you're right it's not common. Honestly, I think the natural coaching progression of position coach to coordinator to head coach is overrated. There are a ton of guys out there who are fantastic game planners and play callers (coordinators) who make ****ty HCs, as well as position coaches who can be a great HCs without having to go through being a coordinator first. Coordinator and HC are completely different jobs, so I think it's funny that people so often believe someone absolutely has to be a coordinator first. It's a pretty archaic way of thinking, IMO, but it definitely happens.

Edit: Btw, I'm in no way advocating that Chev can/should make that jump (he's already going into year 2 in a coordinator role anyway).

Last edited:
I have been saying this for over 20 years so I will say it again. I believe you should have an open search process for a new HC - not preconceived notions or try to find that "Home Run Hire". My criteria is -
  • Someone who has coached under and been mentored by a National Championship Caliber Coach - preferably as a coordinator.
  • Someone who is known as a good recruiter.
  • Has been a Coordinator at a P5 level school.
I will add this thread is pissing me off mostly because it demonstrates how far this program has fallen in the eyes of the fans. I attribute this directly to the poor leadership of Mike Bohn. I am so glad someone woke up and fired him.

I have been saying this for over 20 years so I will say it again. I believe you should have an open search process for a new HC - not preconceived notions or try to find that "Home Run Hire". My criteria is -
  • Someone who has coached under and been mentored by a National Championship Caliber Coach - preferably as a coordinator.
  • Someone who is known as a good recruiter.
  • Has been a Coordinator at a P5 level school.
I will add this thread is pissing me off mostly because it demonstrates how far this program has fallen in the eyes of the fans. I attribute this directly to the poor leadership of Mike Bohn. I am so glad someone woke up and fired him.

Very much agree. I don't get the "RG needs to have the new guy hired immediately" mindset. Let the process play out (privately) and look at several candidates. Fixating on one or two coaches is not going to end well.

I think it is interesting that Leavitt is looked at as a coach who can take a team to the "next level."

It's interesting or obvious?

He is probably right for a program like CU and would take a P5 head coaching job anywhere. Before he slapped that kid he was considered a shoe in for a major P5 program HC job. It is well known that he received and rejected an offer from Alabama. Miami wanted him as well. He even rejected a Kstate offer that was dear to his heart. He was basically seen as a once a generation coach, much like Petersen. Unfortunately, the slapping incident tarnished his reputation; whether it was fair or not I don't know.

So with Leavitt you basically get a super-coach who would actually take any P5 HC job...even CU. He just wants to be a HC again. ...and you aren't experimenting with an upstart. We wouldn't be gambling away another five years.

I've been out for a couple hours, so I may have missed something, but it sounds like this thread turned into who CU should hire to replace MM. Did MM get fired while I was in a meeting? Asking for a friend.

He is probably right for a program like CU and would take a P5 head coaching job anywhere. Before he slapped that kid he was considered a shoe in for a major P5 program HC job. It is well known that he received and rejected an offer from Alabama. Miami wanted him as well. He even rejected a Kstate offer that was dear to his heart. He was basically seen as a once a generation coach, much like Petersen. Unfortunately, the slapping incident tarnished his reputation; whether it was fair or not I don't know.

So with Leavitt you basically get a super-coach who would actually take any P5 HC job...even CU. He just wants to be a HC again. ...and you aren't experimenting with an upstart. We wouldn't be gambling away another five years.
Wow a super coach huh? You do realize that Leavitt almost lost as many games in his final year at USF (5) as Chris Peterson did in his entire time at Boise (6)? I think you even know you are reaching here.

Yeah, "super coach" is completely over the top. I think he is pretty good, but not sure I see him as the deity you apparently do.

Both Urban and Dabo made the move from WR coach directly to HC. I'm sure there are others, but you're right it's not common. Honestly, I think the natural coaching progression of position coach to coordinator to head coach is overrated. There are a ton of guys out there who are fantastic game planners and play callers (coordinators) who make ****ty HCs, as well as position coaches who can be a great HCs without having to go through being a coordinator first. Coordinator and HC are completely different jobs, so I think it's funny that people so often believe someone absolutely has to be a coordinator first. It's a pretty archaic way of thinking, IMO, but it definitely happens.

Edit: Btw, I'm in no way advocating that Chev can/should make that jump (he's already going into year 2 in a coordinator role anyway).
I agree you don't have to go through that progression. I don't think it's absolutely necessary but I also don't believe it's an archaic way of thinking. It just naturally makes more sense to progress up the ladder before you take on the whole mantle. But I think if you're a good coordinator, it's indicative of being a good head coach. Doesn't mean it's always true, but it's a job just like all others. Would you take a Team Leader in charge of 5-10 people and move them to CEO because you think they are good at their job or would you rather put them in a higher up management position to see how he/she handles the additional responsibility? That's essentially what moving from Position coach to HC is. And I misspoke regarding Chev's experience, I meant gameday playcalling experience. Didn't mean he had no experience at all, thank you for that catch though.

Compare Leavitt to Schiano and I fail to see why some are so infatuated with Leavitt. Schiano was more well-regarded than Leavitt at the time both were in the Big East and Schiano routinely beat him (kicked his ass once even), and his 11-2 season is 10x more impressive than collapsing from a #2 ranking. And nowadays Schiano's a better DC at a more respectable program. Not arguing for Schiano, just that some's perspective seems extremely skewed when it comes to Leavitt.

Very much agree. I don't get the "RG needs to have the new guy hired immediately" mindset. Let the process play out (privately) and look at several candidates. Fixating on one or two coaches is not going to end well.
So it’s ok to me methodical when hiring a head coach, but hiring, say, a defensive coordinator needs to be done in a couple weeks otherwise recruiting will suffer?

Them goalposts just keep moving.

So it’s ok to me methodical when hiring a head coach, but hiring, say, a defensive coordinator needs to be done in a couple weeks otherwise recruiting will suffer?

Them goalposts just keep moving.

Methodical does not mean the process takes weeks. It means actually conducting a search though.

Wow a super coach huh? You do realize that Leavitt almost lost as many games in his final year at USF (5) as Chris Peterson did in his entire time at Boise (6)? I think you even know you are reaching here.

"South Florida's ascension into the top 25 from entry into I-A/FCS is the fastest in NCAA history, surpassing Boise State's rise by a mere seven weeks.[5] The Bulls achieved another record on September 30 when they became the fastest program of the modern era to reach the top 10, landing at #6 in the AP Poll and #9 in the Coaches' Poll."

Back