1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm very impressed by Rick Neuheisel...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by leftybuff, Sep 15, 2008.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

he has certainly improved his technique, ususally it takes him three years to ruin a program and now he's done it in just two games.:thumbsup:

2. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Man, I thought they'd at least put up a fight. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

3. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

i'm no skippy apologist....but they have had a TON of injuries to key players.

if CU suffered the same types of injuries...in numbers and key positions, we too would be on the wrong end of a lot of those types of games, sad to say.

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Isn't Doc Kreis still the strength & conditioning coach at UCLA? Didn't GB basically fire him because of the number of injuries his training techniques caused?

Coincidence?

5. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I heard similer stories about Doc.

6. Bali Buff

Bali Buff Well-Known Member

I think Doc was bum rushed out after he signed off on one too many Community Service time served forms during the "scandal" era

7. sackman

:lol:

Doc was (is) a jerk. I had my own experiences with him. I was happy to see him go.

8. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

There is no explaining 59-0. I don't care how may injuries they have had. :wow:

9. zonabuff

zonabuff Guest

No kidding. I mean, this is BYU! They are the reason we have the BCS fiasco now. Voted number 1 after beating 6-6 Michigan!

10. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

I had my own experiences with Doc and would take a bullet for him. That being said, you are entitled to your opinion. Doc certainly has a checkered past and his strength techniques while highly effective also contain a lot more risk of injury.

11. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

The reason he beat Tennessee is that he had all summer to prepare. Anytime, no matter where he has been, when he only has a week to prepare, his team looks awful

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  12. sackman

You mean Tennessee?

13. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

Yeah, my bad

14. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Definitely one of the most if not the most untested and undeserving national championship teams in the last 30 years or so. I remember seeing one of the best signs I've ever seen at a game while watching that season's Orange Bowl (BYU was still in the WAC back then):

"BYWho is WACky number one" :lol:

15. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

Skippy generally did well when he had a few weeks to prepare. But somewhere along the way his team loses "their focus on the bus ride over". 59-0, is a new low even for him. Well done sir! I like having him back in college, it makes it more entertaining for me; games like this one especially! :)

UCLA rushing stats for the game:

Net rush yards = 9
    Attempts = 16
    av / rush = 0.6 yards

16. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

Slick rick is a program destroyer. I hope he fails again. It would be karma for the b*llsh*t way he ran CU into the ground. This was a national power when he took over. He had two good years with Coach Mac's players then he took a nose dive and bolted for Washington. Washington? Really? That was a better job why? The huskies have never been the same. Hard to believe they used to be a national power too. Now they're a national laughing stock. I'm doing my sarcastic clap for ricky right now.

17. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

I didn't see the score until just now. Holy $HIT!!! That's funny!

I remember Slick being a great game day coach who could usually keep games close and pull out victories more often than not in the final seconds. The problem was that this was his M.O. if they were playing the #1 team in D1A or a middle of the road DII team, his teams could never put anyone away and almost always needed some luck at the end of the game to win. This inability of his to cultivate teams that could just take care of business made me crazy and was a direct reflection of his easygoing, guitar strumming, inner tube outing way of coaching teams into softness.

I still think Slick will do okay (> 500 & a bowl) this year and next before the bottom really falls out.

18. sackman

Any time you get pummelled like that, doubts creep into everybody's mind about just about everything. This isn't the kind of game you just recover from. It takes all year. They might not win 4 games this year. Every time there's the slightest hint of a problem, the players will start to doubt themselves.

19. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Kind of like losing 41-7 to Texas?

20. The Guest

The Guest Guest

CU bounced back nicely from that one, but not so much 70-3.

21. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

Ouch... 70-3 again. That was the single worst beat down I've ever seen in my life. That's when you knew Barney was finished. It was inexcusable that he could have let the CU program fall into such a state of disrepair. Sure the faux 'scandal' had something to do with the talent drop off but it had more to do with Barney's demeanor, his arrogance, his awful game day coaching. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

22. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Yeah, you had a pretty good idea that GB was gone before that game but there was no doubt after. The beat down was so epic that the fact that he made it to the BigXII CCG was irrelevant.

I hold no ill-will towards GB or Neu and I do believe that Neu has put together a solid staff in LA and will have some success there. Time will tell.

23. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Their running game will suck as long as he's there.

Buffs rushing stats:

1994 (last year of Mac): 517 rushes for 3206 yards. 6.2 ypc
    1995: 443 rushes for 2084 yards. 4.7 ypc
    1996: 409 rushes for 1635 yards. 4.0 ypc
    1997: 363 rushes for 1491 yards. 4.1 ypc
    1998: 453 rushes for 1355 yards. 3.0 ypc

He did a similar thing to UW, too.

1999: 491 rushes for 2087 yards. 4.3 ypc
    2000: 487 rushes for 2329 yards. 4.8 ypc
    2001: 418 rushes for 1229 yards. 2.9 ypc
    2002: 454 rushes for 968 yards. 2.1 ypc

He is the destroyer of running games. And it's damn hard to win in college if you can't run the ball effectively.

24. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

they really do have a ton of injuries. their o-line is a mess. they have a true frosh coming off an injury and who has never played a game at this level runing with the first team ol in practice. and, if he can't go, they are in real trouble. plus, their rbs are all hurt too. and, they have no qb.

their staff has been really backtracking in the press recently about "expectations" and how this is going to take some time.

this is the first time that skippy took over a college program that wasn't pretty damned loaded. we will see how he does with all this adversity.