What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Improvements, Renovations, and Upgrades to Folsom Field

Regarding field turf vs natural grass, there's definitely a good case to be made.

In fact, they do a great job on their web site: http://www.fieldturf.com/football-turf/

It's a much better way to go for the environment because of the water saved and because you don't need to use pesticides or fertilizers or have the carbon emissions from mowing. Plus it's fully recycled at the end of its life cycle.

It's cheaper to maintain than a grass field and increases usage of the field by 200% to 1600% on average.

It's safer for the athletes when it comes to joint injuries and brain injuries.

I'm not convinced that field turf is that much more maintenance free than natural grass. Field turf has those rubbery pellets to make it spongey. After 5-6 years, it gets all matted down and the rubber pellets need to be replaced. I'd prefer to keep the natural grass, personally.
It requires alot of attention - needs to be raked after every game. If there is any blood, it has to be aseptically cleaned. It wears just like any carpet, and has to be replaced, and if it tears you really have a hassle. It's good for a dome, any stadiums with very high traffic. We have the most beautiful setting in college football, why on earth would you want something artificial as a stage? The money saved by having turf would be minimal - wouldn't be enough to make any significant contribution to improvements.

Last edited:
It requires alot of attention - needs to be raked after every game. If there is any blood, it has to be aseptically cleaned. It wears just like any carpet, and has to be replaced, and if it tears you really have a hassle. It's good for a dome, any stadiums with very high traffic.

Here's a list of where it's been installed:

NFL game and/or practice field installations:

Atlanta Falcons
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Denver Broncos
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Kansas City Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New Orleans Saints
New York Giants
New York Jets
Oakland Raiders
Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
Tennessee Titans

NCAA D1 Link: http://www.fieldturf.com/images/downloads/ncaa-football-list.pdf

Air Force, Colorado State and Utah have all gone with it along with a host of other schools in our climate.

they need to tighten some of the bleachers as well. i know it sounds stupid but some of those ****ers are dangerous.

I remember one game when one of the bleachers sheared off. Everyone calmly picked it up and floated it down to the field where it was ceremonial chucked over the railing and onto the field.

I remember one game when one of the bleachers sheared off. Everyone calmly picked it up and floated it down to the field where it was ceremonial chucked over the railing and onto the field.

That's awesome. And I agree about the bleachers. Those things wobble so much standing on them is an adventure, especially after a few cocktails.

no field turf, unless it's black, silver, and gold. The turf gets really hot and gross, but it can look cool if you do it right (but not a standard green field).

That's awesome. And I agree about the bleachers. Those things wobble so much standing on them is an adventure, especially after a few cocktails.

See, I think I see the problem here. I'm pretty sure they were built to be safe for sitting on, not standing on.... :lol:

no field turf, unless it's black, silver, and gold. The turf gets really hot and gross, but it can look cool if you do it right (but not a standard green field).
I agree, black and silver switching off with the lines being gold would be sick.

I'm not convinced that field turf is that much more maintenance free than natural grass. Field turf has those rubbery pellets to make it spongey. After 5-6 years, it gets all matted down and the rubber pellets need to be replaced. I'd prefer to keep the natural grass, personally.

natural grass. much better.

If there are two words that define Boulder it is:

1. Natural
2. Grass

Why would we want to get away from that?

Keep the grass.

get carl spacklers bent

[video=youtube;AmxcmpR1GQA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxcmpR1GQA[/video]

This is a hybrid. This is a cross ah Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent and Northern California Sensemilia The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff here.

tell me that **** isnt meant for boulder

If other events were held at Folsom would it benefit the University or the AD? If it's the AD I think it's a no brainer to have field turf over the long run.

The sound system is terrible. I don't know if it is just the student section but all you hear is crackling if anything at all. Definitely need to put speakers on the west end of the field opposite Dal Ward. Upgrading the entire speaker system wouldn't be a bad idea, not going to cost a fortune either.

Would like to see an upgraded sound system. Stanford's stadium has a sweet sound system with small but powerful speakers spaced every 15 feet which hang down from the upper deck...not saying we could or should do something like that with the way Folsom is designed but in addition to the speakers over Dal Ward, you could have some installed at the Flatirons Club and East level.

For those of you who can't hear the current sound system, let me tell you something: It's loud as hell in sec 119.

Folsom Field with the natural grass looks so much better than the Folsom Field with the fake grass and let's not forget how big of a deal we mde out of the gold pants not being gold due to the field turf at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. If we could get the same turf that Nebraska and Oregon has, I might change my mind.

I think an article came out recently saying the CU AD would save roughly $1 mil a year switching to field turf (not counting additional revenue from hosting events). I'm down

I think an article came out recently saying the CU AD would save roughly $1 mil a year switching to field turf (not counting additional revenue from hosting events). I'm down

$1MM/Year? Really? You think it costs ONE MILLION DOLLARS to maintain a 120x52 yard patch of grass? Really?
dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

$1MM/Year? Really? You think it costs ONE MILLION DOLLARS to maintain a 120x52 yard patch of grass? Really?

Actually more than a million dollars because as others in this thread have noted, there's a cost associated with the maintenance of the Field Turf too.

I find it hard to believe too. :huh: Regardless, I prefer the real stuff.

Even the analysis by the Field Turf company puts it at about $50k a year to maintain a grass field versus $5k a year for Field Turf. LINK

The big benefit is in the scheduling possibilities since you can use the facility at least twice as much with field turf. Theoretically, there could be a concert on Friday night and a game on Saturday. Or Folsom could host high school state playoff games without tearing up the field. That's the main benefit beyond the environmental and injury prevention stuff.

Actually more than a million dollars because as others in this thread have noted, there's a cost associated with the maintenance of the Field Turf too.

I find it hard to believe too. :huh: Regardless, I prefer the real stuff.

I had seen similar figures as well, but I think it was lifetime, not annual.

I vote for Omni turf!

Honestly I like natural grass and would like to see us keep it if possible.

Lets go back to the super fast old turf. All aboard the nostalgia train woooooo!

mesh jerseys and the big BIG shoulder pads.

seems like i remember reading an article in the Camera about the Bolder Boulder considering footing the bill for Field Turf...to offset the massive insurance premium they pay to host the event on Folsom's grass surface. obviously never happened, but those numbers seem weird to me.....the BB is kind of a scam to me...i'm not going to pay 100$ to run around the town i live in when i could do it every other day of the year for free....but, that's a lot of cheese to be playing around with for a one-time event at Folsom. BB must make $$$ hand over fist.

i think the original architecture of Balch and Carlson gym, the edifices should be preserved...the entry to Carlson would be the coolest entrance to a renovated bar/alum/booster area evah. inside, don't care much...but those are classic examples of CU traditional architecture and "brand" as a school. we have Italian Tuscan style while most Unis appeal to the Gothic look. though my dad thinks (and i think it's an interesting idea) to play some basketball OOC games in Balch. small crowd, small venue. i think that would be a blast. logistics for parking maybe an issue but 10 times that many people come and go to football on Saturdays.

Back