What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting Conference Realignment Piece

We already have had this discussion. Adding 4 mid west teams would not result in CU being relegated anywhere. That is unless the conference is dumber than I thought.

Pacific Northwest Pod: UO, OSU, UW, WSU
California Pod: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford
Mountain Pod: ASU, UA, CU, UU
Midwest Pod : OU, OSU, TT, TCU

You play every team in your pod and a home and away series with the other 3.

Example CU schedule:

OOC 1
OOC 2
OOC 3
@ASU
UCLA
UO
@OU
TCU
@UW
@Cal
UA
@UU

In the era of a national playoff, and of 4 super conferences, you could take the champ from each pod and have a resulting 16 team playoff. Add in 4 at large bids with top 4 teams receiving a bye and now you have something similar to the NFL playoff in terms of scale, and potentially something similar to the NCAA "March Madness" in terms of hype.

This has all been gone over and over again, but the lack of success with the Pac-12 Network really cannot be ignored. It will create issues going forward.

Fap, fap, fap.

One bitch about 16 team conferences is their inability to play nationally relevant OOC schedules while maintaining enough in-conference games to cover all the concerns that would come with skipping interdivisional games. Eight teams per division takes seven games. It'd be tough to rationalize playing less than half the teams in the conference's other division, so there's four more - eleven games. Throw in conference championship, and you have what used to be a full regular season schedule; not much room for OOC play.

I didn't read the link because **** him, and I'm sure there are other ways to handle schedule rotations, but there are certainly weakness in sixteen team conference idea. For one, it might relegate teams not in power conferences to irrelevance, which goes against one of the beautiful things about college football - watching the unexpected. The Buffs could both benefit from and be hurt by being matched with teams from Texas, and to a lesser extent, Oklahoma. Their recruiting footprint inTexas would be legitimized and gain strength, while the Cali connection would suffer. National exposure, especially on the East Coast, would increase, and that's a big plus. There would be a push to increase the number of games played, giving college football an increased feel of being the minor leagues for the NFL.

Whatever the hell happens I'll still love the Buffs, but golly change is scary, Wally (if you're still out there)!

Sob, sob, sob.

We already have had this discussion. Adding 4 mid west teams would not result in CU being relegated anywhere. That is unless the conference is dumber than I thought.

Example CU schedule:

OOC 1
OOC 2
OOC 3
@ASU
UCLA
UO
@OU
TCU
@UW
@Cal
UA
@UU

In the era of a national playoff, and of 4 super conferences, you could take the champ from each pod and have a resulting 16 team playoff. Add in 4 at large bids with top 4 teams receiving a bye and now you have something similar to the NFL playoff in terms of scale, and potentially something similar to the NCAA "March Madness" in terms of hype.
I missed that discussion, solid points.

Well I haven't said I would like Texas in the Pac-12 so I don't get why you would attack me. Larry Scott probably doesn't care if we add Texas and it pisses off Colorado fans if it helps with the rest of the conference revenues and outlook for the future. Obviously it would hurt CU to some degree but having schools in two of the biggest 3 recruiting hotbeds in the country can also help.

Attack you? No.
Respond to your post. Yes.

Hurt CU to some degree? Definitely yes.

When money is the benefit, UT is more equal than everyone else.

Never in the history of Football has UT not been successful in tilting a neutral playing field to their advantage. They don't have a reputation as conference killers for nothing.

- CCG in Dallas or Houston every other year
- UT and USC blue-blood pact. This leads to prime TV slots for them and more Thur, Fri and Sat night games for us.
- Fist pumping refs whenever UT scores a TD
- No more MBB tournament in Vegas
- Conference business done on planes owned by UT big cigars
- CU's AD gets outvoted by UT led block, leading to imbalance of revenue distribution.
- More burnt orange and other teams with obnoxious hand signals overrunning Folsom.
- CU's Texas recruits getting snaked by original P8 members. CU's California recruits get snaked by original B12 members.
- Welcome back to Lubbock or Stillwater or Waco or FtWorth and Norman and Austin. Adios west coast.

Really? I don't see 4 smaller division...just 2 large ones...like the SEC. But WTF do I know?

Given how every pac12 team wants to get into california, and the fact that any other 4 teams we would add would want the same thing, I don't see any other way to do it then by pods.

SEC has 14 teams, they can't split into a pod type system yet.

Given how every pac12 team wants to get into california, and the fact that any other 4 teams we would add would want the same thing, I don't see any other way to do it then by pods.

SEC has 14 teams, they can't split into a pod type system yet.
Solid post; there's a flip side of it too: every current and future P12 member would want to get into Texas - which would further the argument for splitting into pods. That sort of splitting would also help out with travel times/costs in both revenue and non-revenue sports as well. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing OU on a regular basis again. **** UT and **** Baylor though.

Solid post; there's a flip side of it too: every current and future P12 member would want to get into Texas - which would further the argument for splitting into pods. That sort of splitting would also help out with travel times/costs in both revenue and non-revenue sports as well. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing OU on a regular basis again. **** UT and **** Baylor though.

You would get a game in the region every year and a game in the state of texas every other. 1 game in the PNW region, and 1 game in Cali.

Think the pod system makes the most sense. Which is of course why they will go with an 8 team split...

Attack you? No.
Respond to your post. Yes.

Hurt CU to some degree? Definitely yes.

When money is the benefit, UT is more equal than everyone else.

Never in the history of Football has UT not been successful in tilting a neutral playing field to their advantage. They don't have a reputation as conference killers for nothing.

- CCG in Dallas or Houston every other year
- UT and USC blue-blood pact. This leads to prime TV slots for them and more Thur, Fri and Sat night games for us.
- Fist pumping refs whenever UT scores a TD
- No more MBB tournament in Vegas
- Conference business done on planes owned by UT big cigars
- CU's AD gets outvoted by UT led block, leading to imbalance of revenue distribution.
- More burnt orange and other teams with obnoxious hand signals overrunning Folsom.
- CU's Texas recruits getting snaked by original P8 members. CU's California recruits get snaked by original B12 members.
- Welcome back to Lubbock or Stillwater or Waco or FtWorth and Norman and Austin. Adios west coast.
1) How does a conference championship game in Dallas or Houston not make sense in the Big-12? That is like getting mad at the Pac-12 for having the bball tourney in L.A. at the beginning.
2) This already happens, the best teams get the best time slots. If we want to play in good time slots we have to be a top team. It is very simple. Also late night starts are going to be normal in the Pac-12, bringing in Texas and OU might actually help balance out some of those times.
3) Refs suck, we all know and this isn't new
4) I don't think adding 4 "texan" members to a West Coast centered conference is going to have any implications to a MBB tourney in vegas. Everyone loves Vegas and even if those four members didn't they couldn't force the hand of the other members.
5) Recruiting is a wash.

1) How does a conference championship game in Dallas or Houston not make sense in the Big-12? That is like getting mad at the Pac-12 for having the bball tourney in L.A. at the beginning.
2) This already happens, the best teams get the best time slots. If we want to play in good time slots we have to be a top team. It is very simple. Also late night starts are going to be normal in the Pac-12, bringing in Texas and OU might actually help balance out some of those times.
3) Refs suck, we all know and this isn't new
4) I don't think adding 4 "texan" members to a West Coast centered conference is going to have any implications to a MBB tourney in vegas. Everyone loves Vegas and even if those four members didn't they couldn't force the hand of the other members.
5) Recruiting is a wash.

1) When CU or the AZ schools are playing for the conference title against the West, nobody wants to fly to DFW or Houston to see that game. CCGs belongs on campus. Exactly zero B12CCGs were played in Denver.
2) No matter how bad UT's record, they'll still get a prime TV time slot over CU. Eyeballs matter more than CU's w/l record. This dynamic only gets worse.
3) Haven't seen a fist bump yet in P12 officiating.
4) Naive but charming view. Wish I could agree with that. But deal makers make deals.
5) Depends on the situation, and for CU, I disagree. CU recruited horribly in Texas during B12 years. Better network of alum and former athletes in Cal.

1) How does a conference championship game in Dallas or Houston not make sense in the Big-12?
Because it was a home game for the B12 South winner every year. It literally did not matter who won in the south, they were given a home field advantage in the championship game - that's bull****, plain and simple. Even with the P12 championship in Levi Stadium, it will only ever be a home field for two teams, not an entire division - and those two teams' fanbases aren't exactly known for creating a meaningful home field advantage.

Because it was a home game for the B12 South winner every year. It literally did not matter who won in the south, they were given a home field advantage in the championship game - that's bull****, plain and simple. Even with the P12 championship in Levi Stadium, it will only ever be a home field for two teams, not an entire division - and those two teams' fanbases aren't exactly known for creating a meaningful home field advantage.
Where should the game have been I think is the point. Dallas is a pretty "central" location in the B12 footprint. KC could have worked too, but that would have been a "home field" for 3-4 members of the Big12 as well.

Where should the game have been I think is the point. Dallas is a pretty "central" location in the B12 footprint. KC could have worked too, but that would have been a "home field" for 3-4 members of the Big12 as well.

I look at it like this. There are zero bowl games in Colorado. There are zero CCGs in Colorado. Colorado is getting screwed based on economic and weather based arguements that marginalize the state, the school, and the fans of CU and college football in general. Rolling over due to weather only props up Bronco fanaticism while hurting CU more than some half full Mile High.

College football is a big boy sport that makes lots of money on TV. There is not much of a downside to atleast rotate through Denver on an equitable basis. CU's CCGs in Houston, Dallas, and St Louis were jokes.

I look at it like this. There are zero bowl games in Colorado. There are zero CCGs in Colorado. Colorado is getting screwed based on economic and weather based arguements that marginalize the state, the school, and the fans of CU and college football in general. Rolling over due to weather only props up Bronco fanaticism while hurting CU more than some half full Mile High.

College football is a big boy sport that makes lots of money on TV. There is not much of a downside to atleast rotate through Denver on an equitable basis. CU's CCGs in Houston, Dallas, and St Louis were jokes.

There are no bowl games, no CCG's, no Superbowls. Weather in the winter plays a factor. High altitude plays a factor. The superbowl in NJ was a disaster due to snow. You also don't want a championship game in which one or both teams can't compete at their highest level due to the altitude. You put CU in a CCG at SAF@MH, they automatically have a large advantage due to altitude training. Something that cannot be replicated by visiting teams.

There are no bowl games, no CCG's, no Superbowls. Weather in the winter plays a factor. High altitude plays a factor. The superbowl in NJ was a disaster due to snow. You also don't want a championship game in which one or both teams can't compete at their highest level due to the altitude. You put CU in a CCG at SAF@MH, they automatically have a large advantage due to altitude training. Something that cannot be replicated by visiting teams.

The super bowl in Dallas was a mess, too. That freak snowstorm threw Big D and all the fans coming through town for a loop.

The Broncos prove every year that playing in December and January can and does work.

Weather and altitude happen. Any advantages that CU might have due to altitude will be balanced out in the long run for when CU plays in some far away stadium that is 90:10 opponent (like the CCG in Houston). The 2001 CCG was easily 70:30 in UT's favor.

Make peers come to Denver. They do for the NCAA Bball tournament. It could work in FB, too.

I just never saw a real issue with having the conference championship game in Dallas or Houston every year. They had it in arrowhead a couple times if I remember correctly but a lot of other conferences find a venue they like and stay there. The sec plays in Atlanta every year and the big ten plays in Indy every year, not because they are catering to some specific team because those are the best venues. Buff fans bitch more than anything about playing at mile high but are now mad there was never a big 12 championship there?

Yeah, two pages of comments with nothing new or interesting generated by a spam link to an article with nothing new or interesting. :confused:
tumblr_msp755fYCQ1s967p6o1_500.gif

There's a lot of money and political clout holding the Big 12 together.

As long as the powers that be in Texas want their own conference, it's not going anywhere, no matter what people who really want easy playoff scenarios say.

Remember when we all were concerned that all those politicians who were ****Bailer alums were going to screw us out of the Pac-12? Now all those ****Bailer alumni probably get that their best bet now is to keep the Big 12 together, because they'll never get into the Pac.

Example CU schedule:

OOC 1
OOC 2
OOC 3
@ASU
UCLA
UO
@OU
TCU
@UW
@Cal
UA
@UU

Last time I brought up pods, I was told that Larry Scott doesn't like pods.

This isn't going to happen-Texas won't ever join a conference they can't dominate. I suppose Oklahoma could leave and take their little brother with them, but that's it......Forget religious based schools (BYU/TCU). The Mountain West does nothing. Cal, Stanford, and UCLA won't vote them in, and the North division might not vote for anything that further restricts their presence in LA. Let's move on.

replace Houston with TCU
Literally the post before: many P12 schools want nothing to do with a religious school. It may just be that they don't want Mormons, but once the "principal" is laid out they have to apply it to all comers.

Okie lite, OU, UNM, and UNLV? Want nothing to do with texass.

Back