What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is anybody really disappointed?

I figured 3-4 W's. The team is better than last year, but still woefully outmanned. If I have something I am disappointed about, it would be that the Buffs are getting run off the field in most every P12 game...I was hoping they would be competitive against teams like AZ and Ore. St.

With that said, this was the only game I've been disappointed with this season. It was the only game that we lost that I felt we should have won. Overall I am only slightly disappointed with the season, but also pretty encouraged. Mike Mac is on the right track IMO.

As I have said many times, I knew we were hosed for many years into the future when Danny was retained for that extra year. And, I knew we would suck this year. Having said that, **** yes I am disappointed. I look at so many teams (Mizzou, TCU, Baylor, etc) who are thriving, and cannot believe how far we fell.

Overall they were better than I expected and night and day different than last years team. The things that disappoint me are the several individuals that really didn't show much improvement from the start of the year to this game. With the lack of depth it is a concern for next year.

Not disappointed, just really really tired of crappy football. I think MM is a good coach and may be able to change that soon.

This.

After redshirting Wright (really smart move), seeing Crawley's development, Gillam's play this season, seeing Awuzie grow, getting Rippy to transfer, redshirting Reed... I just think the team has made a lot of good moves and I'm excited to see the improvement next season.

Crawley's development?

Help me out here...

Crawley's development?

Help me out here...

As a freshmen, he gave a ridiculous cushion and then didn't tackle.

This year, he was on his receiver and also didn't miss many tackles.

Next year, we're looking for the next progression where he starts making plays on the ball in the air.

It's a process. :wink2:

Crawley's development?

Help me out here...

He used to have no clue where the ball was.

Now sometimes he turns around and watches the ball come down in the recievers hands for the catch.

That's progress.

Not all that disappointed, because most of the evidence available points to the fact that we hired the right guy to rebuild the program. He may not be the right guy to win the PAC 12 and get us into a title conversation, but he's at least shown that he can take Team Chock Full O'Quit, and get them to compete in most games.

Disappointed with today and the Arizona game. Felt those were two games that could be won.

Overall the coaches showed enough to give me some hope.

I saw what I needed to see this season to feel good about this coaching staff.

generally agree, but I have some lingering questions about some of HCMM's game management decisions. For instance, the decision to try an onside kick at the end was idotic (and I should know). He had three TOs and over two minutes left. Our only realistic chance was to kick it deep, hold, then get the ball back in decent field position.

Disappointed with today and the Arizona game. Felt those were two games that could be won.

Overall the coaches showed enough to give me some hope.
And Oregon St. And the total no show at Washington. But the last three games have shown improvement.

generally agree, but I have some lingering questions about some of HCMM's game management decisions. For instance, the decision to try an onside kick at the end was idotic (and I should know). He had three TOs and over two minutes left. Our only realistic chance was to kick it deep, hold, then get the ball back in decent field position.

If game management turns out to be one of his weak points we can live with that. It was pretty clear that Nick Saban had a bad day with in-game decisions today and virtually everyone would take his overall results.

I think the game management element is overrated. Much more important is recruiting, preparation, culture building, staff supervision, etc.

Kick it deep, hold, burn all 3 time outs and get the ball back with a minute left, 70 yards to go, no time outs, an overmatched o-line and a true freshman QB. Your definition of "realistic chance" may be different than mine.

I really think this offense needed more time and some time outs. A shorter field wouldn't hurt either. The onside kick at least gave them a chance at that. It's not as if we hadn't pulled some off successfully this year.

Having a chance at a bowl game the week before Thanksgiving was great and we didn't lose to either FCS team but I'm not sold on things improving until we can still be in games in the 4th qtr against the good conference teams. If we had a season more like Utah's season in conference play, then I'd be fired up about next season.

We need quality QB depth behind Lifau and I'm not completely sold on Lifau as our QB of the future. Just look at Nebraska's injuries at QB and Bo Pelini did a good job coaching this season.

i will not watch CU football next season. I will watch in '15 if there are almost no more 20+ point blowout losses next season. Sorry fellas I'm just not seeing much progress this season from last season on the scoreboard...it means more to me than the team's record.

Sorry to rain on the sunshine pumping parade but like Manziel once said on Twitter, the scoreboard is what matters.

I also didn't have a lot of confidence in our defenses ability to stop their running game. Turned out we did but for much of the day they were making big running holes in our line.

I can understand the idea of the on-side kick at that point.

Kick it deep, hold, burn all 3 time outs and get the ball back with a minute left, 70 yards to go, no time outs, an overmatched o-line and a true freshman QB. Your definition of "realistic chance" may be different than mine.

I really think this offense needed more time and some time outs. A shorter field wouldn't hurt either. The onside kick at least gave them a chance at that. It's not as if we hadn't pulled some off successfully this year.

well....Sefo had zero chance as it ended up needing to drive 90 yards for a TD. Who knows....perhaps we might have had a decent punt return under my preferred scenario (no onside kick) and he would have only had 50 yards to go instead of your suggested 70. And by the way, I should have said "relatively realistic chance." Neither scenario was likely to produce a favorable result. But I still say, no onside kick, bitch.

well....Sefo had zero chance as it ended up needing to drive 90 yards for a TD. Who knows....perhaps we might have had a decent punt return under my preferred scenario (no onside kick) and he would have only had 50 yards to go instead of your suggested 70. And by the way, I should have said "relatively realistic chance." Neither scenario was likely to produce a favorable result. But I still say, no onside kick, bitch.

But even if we get that punt return (have we had as many of those as onside kick recoveries this year?) we still have about a minute left and no timeouts instead of 2 minutes and 3 time outs.

Let's put it this way, I don't think the difference between 90 yards and no TOs and 70 yards and no time outs with a minute left is worth discussing. We weren't winning under either scenario.

Having a chance at a bowl game the week before Thanksgiving was great and we didn't lose to either FCS team but I'm not sold on things improving until we can still be in games in the 4th qtr against the good conference teams. If we had a season more like Utah's season in conference play, then I'd be fired up about next season.

We need quality QB depth behind Lifau and I'm not completely sold on Lifau as our QB of the future. Just look at Nebraska's injuries at QB and Bo Pelini did a good job coaching this season.

i will not watch CU football next season. I will watch in '15 if there are almost no more 20+ point blowout losses next season. Sorry fellas I'm just not seeing much progress this season from last season on the scoreboard...it means more to me than the team's record.

Sorry to rain on the sunshine pumping parade but like Manziel once said on Twitter, the scoreboard is what matters.

Thinking there was no improvement in this team this season makes about as much sense as wanting CU to join the Mountain West or thinking the Big XII will seriously consider CSU as an expansion candidate.

Disappointed, no. Wanting more, yes. I saw enough this season to see progression and a staff that coached better than we have seen in 7 years. The biggest concern are the the lines on both sides of the ball. They do not pass the eye test when you see the other Pac teams. I hope we see some Jucos come in to help out because we still need it.

I do believe we are making progress and MM needs a lot of time to fix the problems he took over in this program. It will be at least 2 years before we see if he is who we want. Unfortunately that is where we are right now and there is no way of accelerating it

But even if we get that punt return (have we had as many of those as onside kick recoveries this year?) we still have about a minute left and no timeouts instead of 2 minutes and 3 time outs.

Let's put it this way, I don't think the difference between 90 yards and no TOs and 70 yards and no time outs with a minute left is worth discussing. We weren't winning under either scenario.

i agree with your last sentence. But I would be interested to know the views of good college/pro coaches. I would bet that they would say no to the onside kick. As you suggest, who gives a **** at this point.

Thinking there was no improvement in this team this season makes about as much sense as wanting CU to join the Mountain West or thinking the Big XII will seriously consider CSU as an expansion candidate.

Agree completely. Does not fit his preference for CU being a mediocre, tier 2 team. Bunch of crap really.

The 2013 campaign was meh.

It's disappointing a once dominant program is not bowl bound for eight strait years.

CU met expectations, but did not exceed them. It would be nice to have gotten a signature win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

And Oregon St. And the total no show at Washington. But the last three games have shown improvement.

Utah was the only conference road game I thought we had any shot at. Oregon St. was disappointing but not surprising, and I expected what happened at Washington. UCLA and USC games were encouraging at least.

2014: Cal at Cal is still easy. UMass and Hawaii are horrid. There's three. CSU will be a coin flip. Grayson improved massively against all expectations, and the running game will be good even if Bibbs leaves. Need to win that one and I think we will. So there's four. Maybe AZ, with Carey gone. RichRod is an idiot - don't know how he did so well at WV. Maybe Utah. Maybe.

This year MM baled water from a sinking ship that was going in the direction of Old KState, Old Temple or the worst years of UNLV or UTEP. Onr of the metrics I use is "beating the teams you're supposed to beat". It's the first sign of a pulse. It'd be nice to get those Calif JUCOs (DL and DB - San Mateo).

CSU got good when they started playing the lesser lights of the MWC. Don't forget that this is the team that got shut out at Utah State.

RichRod is an idiot but Zona will still have much better athletes than we do. That one is a maybe but I am still far from putting it in the should win column. Utah has some question marks and is going to lose some key players.

At least after this year we have a reason to be interested in next year.

CSU got good when they started playing the lesser lights of the MWC. Don't forget that this is the team that got shut out at Utah State.

RichRod is an idiot but Zona will still have much better athletes than we do. That one is a maybe but I am still far from putting it in the should win column. Utah has some question marks and is going to lose some key players.

At least after this year we have a reason to be interested in next year.

Ka-Ching !!

Back