What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is dre the best perimeter defender in the nba

Definitely in the conversation with Draymond and Kawhi Leonard. LeBron too obviously but he understandably doesn’t do it for entire seasons anymore.

Definitely in the conversation with Draymond and Kawhi Leonard. LeBron too obviously but he understandably doesn’t do it for entire seasons anymore.

Very important distinction for sure. If LeBron had to play defense to get paid, there's probably no comparison. The two you mentioned, probably better as well.

Hyperbole, holiday spirits, and gold glasses aside, most effective regular season perimiter defender, then?

Such a buzzkill, TD.

I wasn’t trying to be a buzz kill haha. He’s that good defensively that he’s in the conversation with those other guys and it’s not hyperbole to suggest he’s the best.

I think Kawhi is probably the best 1v1 defender of the 3* followed closely by Dre. They both can lock up quicker guards than Draymond can but you can also put them on bigger guys as well, although Draymond is definitely the best defender of the 3 in that department.

Draymond’s the most versatile of the 3, and does the best job of being an all-around impactful team defender. That’s where Dre beats Kawhi. You can still figure out a way to run an offense against a Kawhi Leonard, you just know that your first perimeter option is likely shut down. But you can’t run an offense without having Dre or Draymond make an impact against it. They both do such a great job of cleaning up team mistakes.

Tldr: I’d say that Draymond does the best job of making his teammates better, followed closely by Dre. But Dre is the far better lockdown defender, even if Kawhi might be #1. Dre is the best of both worlds ^_^

*Not counting LeBron in this.

I think Roberson is a great defender, but I honestly feel that he gets a little to much credit on these boards. Is he one of the best in the NBA, sure. Is he all-NBA defense worthy, absolutely. Is he hands down All-NBA 1st Team Defense worthy...... ....I didn't think so last year, and a lot of the season left this year to go. Maybe, but I wouldn't say 100% yes. So my personal answer to the OP is no. Is he in the conversation, sure, but Kawhi, Klay, John Wall, Beverly are all up there too (imo above Dre, although I concede Beverly's size could give Dre the advantage). As TD mentions, LBJ and Draymond should be discussed. I don't watch the Bucks, but Giannis I hear is up there. I sleep on him, and I fully admit that maybe I'm biased since in a thread last year, I was corrected by a lot of people on Rubio. I don't think he's that amazing on D, but many others do. George and Butler are good on D as well. I think Gary Harris is developing into a great defender as well - maybe not in this conversation yet, but getting there.

And honestly, while they're bigs, some of them are still scary on the perimeter D. The Brow can defend anyone imo, and Gordon is impressive in what little I watch and read of him.

I think Roberson is a great defender, but I honestly feel that he gets a little to much credit on these boards. Is he one of the best in the NBA, sure. Is he all-NBA defense worthy, absolutely. Is he hands down All-NBA 1st Team Defense worthy...... ....I didn't think so last year, and a lot of the season left this year to go. Maybe, but I wouldn't say 100% yes. So my personal answer to the OP is no. Is he in the conversation, sure, but Kawhi, Klay, John Wall, Beverly are all up there too (imo above Dre, although I concede Beverly's size could give Dre the advantage). As TD mentions, LBJ and Draymond should be discussed. I don't watch the Bucks, but Giannis I hear is up there. I sleep on him, and I fully admit that maybe I'm biased since in a thread last year, I was corrected by a lot of people on Rubio. I don't think he's that amazing on D, but many others do. George and Butler are good on D as well. I think Gary Harris is developing into a great defender as well - maybe not in this conversation yet, but getting there.

And honestly, while they're bigs, some of them are still scary on the perimeter D. The Brow can defend anyone imo, and Gordon is impressive in what little I watch and read of him.
Blasphemer!

Someone who doesn't get the credit he should is Robert Covington of the Sixers. Dude is able to man up with SF/wing types at 6'9". Of all the glue guys in the NBA, I think he'd be the guy I'd pick -- even over Draymond.

Yes to Covington as well, but I wouldn't take him over Draymond... ...I can't stand him, but Draymond brings a lot to the floor on both ends, in a lot of ways. Jae Crowder is also a great glue guy. Green's teammate Iggy, is one of my all time favorite glue guys. He's lost a little bit of a step, but he's still really good. Roberson is up there too, but just like with the question of best perimeter defender, I can't say he's unequivocally the best.

Someone who doesn't get the credit he should is Robert Covington of the Sixers. Dude is able to man up with SF/wing types at 6'9". Of all the glue guys in the NBA, I think he'd be the guy I'd pick -- even over Draymond.

Covington is who Dre would be if he could play both ends.

The Brow is a bit like Lebron in that he's a scary defender when he wants to be.

Back