1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is redshirting Mohler an option?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

The question came up in Ringo's most recent chat. I thought it was a bit whacked at first, now I'm not so sure.

2. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

i first cringed when you said that but thought about it it might be doable and a good idea

3. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

he has a redshirt year available. I don't know why you are asking though, is it because we have so many seniors at LB (Mohler, Smart, Burton?). He's going to see the field plenty.

4. Duff Man

It obviously goes out the window if he is named the starter, but I really think it is a bit of a waste if he is just rotating with Smart. Plus it would help next year that we essentially would be returning two experienced starters at LB instead of one. I doubt it is even really an option, just a fun hypothetical to throw around.

5. Duff Man

I ask partly because of the number of seniors, but also because I'm really not sure he will be utilized enough as a backup. I know we're going to more 3-4 looks this year, but I would imagine we'll play a lot of nickel as well.

6. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

I see the logic in it, but given the work he had to put in to get into to CU in the first place, it would be a lot to ask for him to sit out a year.

7. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Good question, would be nice but it's better he stay in there and provide depth (if Not starting). I'd rather have all hands on deck.

8. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Not a chance. Mohler's our best linebacker. You've got to play your best players and worry about class numbers a distant second.

9. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

It is still hard for me to imagine Mohler will not be starting....

10. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I think the bigger risk here is if he get's mad and decides to transfer out of the program if does't get to play this year. That may or may not be a long shot, but stranger things have happened to the Buffs before.

11. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I think Mr. Mohler would laugh his ass off if he saw the speculation in this thread.

Is it game day yet?

EDIT: No offense, Boulder. Strategically speaking it makes sense to spread our talent over time, but frankly we're not so rich in wins that we can accept the kind of risk associated with no playing your best players. But I truly don't believe that Mohler would go any where if he were to be redshirted.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Amen. Now, to start the "Is redshirting Scott an option" thread...:smile2:

13. The Guest

The Guest Guest

You'll need to submit that request to Alferd. Kickers and punters are his specialty.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Then he's a glutton for punishment!

15. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

This is a silly topic. No way he wants to RS, and we need him this year. I bet he would think of it as a joke or something. I am VERY against the idea!

16. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

17. Duff Man

Then maybe someone can explain to me why Smart has been atop the depth chart since Spring. Am I missing something here? If Mohler is starting (which he should be because he is our best LB), there is no need to ask this question. The problem is I just do not see how that is guaranteed right now.

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

isn't smart a captain?

19. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I just don't think it will go very well with Mohler and I do thnk he is our best LB. I think he will start or play a lot.

20. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

If Mohler is our best LB then he should start, and we should be asking about whether to RS Smart (I can't remember if he already took his RS).

I think it's moo, they're not going to RS a senior without extenuating circumstances (ie Burney).

21. Duff Man

Don't know, have they picked them yet?

Still trying to figure out where the playing time is going to come from if we're playing nickel a good majority of the time. In no way do I think there is more than a 1% chance that Mohler redshirts, I just do not want to see his talent get wasted this year and if he is not starting, that is exactly what is going to happen.

22. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Over/under how long until the announcers for the CU CSU game say Smart plays just like his name?

23. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Burton is the best linebacker. The last depth charge I saw was dated June.

So I don't believe that depth chart means that Smart is ahead of Mohler. I don't think they will RS Mohler because they are going to need the bodies if they are really going to a 3-4 defense. They need to look at moving a couple of guys to Outside Linebackers (Major, Mohler) - they have a lot of inside guys. The other question is Sipili - he was slowed down by injuries last year (back).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009