1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this the best WR since the start of 2000?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by dio, Jan 11, 2008.

1. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

This is the first time I have seen a WR corp that can challenge the McCoy/Hackett/Donahoe combo we saw at the beginning of the decade.

The young corp should provide at least three solid targets, and has the mix you look for from WRs.

Smith - Ability to make spectacular plays with the ball in his hands.
    Celestine - Can stretch the field deep with speed.
    Simas - Big target with excellent hands. Look for him in the redzone and across the middle.

How do you think this stacks up to our previous WR corps?

Can Cody get them the ball? Does he have the arm-strength and accuracy? How about his height?

2. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Cody's height and accuracy are fine. Arm strength, however, is something that could be stronger. But I'd rather have an accurate thrower. What all of previous good receivers could do was get those precious yards-after-the-catch. If you look at teams like Misery, Kansas, West Virginia, Oklahomo and such, that's what their receivers do best. It's not the burning deep-ball.

3. RuffBuff

RuffBuff Club Member Club Member

don't forget mcknight.....

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I like the upgrade in talent at WR we have seen in the last couple years, but I think the key to the passing game will be Geer returning to his freshman year form.

Cody doesn't have the strongest arm, which makes those tight windows that are always present in the red zone even tighter. Cody relied on Devree inside the 20 a lot this year as evidenced by Devree's 8 TDs.

5. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'd be curious to know what Cody's RZ stats were this year. Time to holler at Plati

6. colinski

colinski Member

This would seem to support the logic of getting a Jumbo receiver in this class, as well as using rollout formations. Cody throws pretty well on the run, but he's had too many passes knocked down or up in the air -- which is even worse. I haven't looked at his release point much, is it just above shoulder level? Rather than overhead? Anyone know?

7. colinski

colinski Member

AMEN!!

8. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Another consideration is how many of those passes were deflected while the O-line was on its heals and Cody was throwing off of his back foot or off balance because of it?

9. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Seriously guys! How could you forget about the leading reciever on the team?

10. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Didn't Kiesau say he was very close to putting Simas in the ASU game??? Good thing cuz he is gonna be a stud as a RS Fr... Hopefully:thumbsup:

11. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

As a general rule, I don't like rollouts. They work in some situations, but when you roll out, you allow the defense to only cover half the field.

12. dio

I left McKnight off because I honestly don't think he is going to hold onto that crown...

McKnight is solid, but I feel he is more of a depth receiver.. That is just the vibe I got from him :/

13. BroncoBuff

BroncoBuff New Member

I don't object to this thread in principle - but on the chance a certain high school running back recruit might be reading this site (not that much of a longshot actualy) - I think it's important to point out that the passing game will bean afterthought at best in the future. I've been hearing that a lot. :thumbsup:

14. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Yep, unless you have a cannon armed QB to keep the backside honest. Which we, and most other teams, don't have. I like the roll out as a change of pace used about 2-3 times a game max.

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I've always liked rollouts because it often reduces the pressure on the QB and gives him the option to run.

16. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

This. And if done right, the person in the best position to make the tackle will have to leave someone uncovered to do so. (a cornerback of safety)

17. 87toInfinity

87toInfinity Well-Known Member

Rollouts also counter up the middle blitzes meaning less defenders to worry about on QB's back and in coverage.

18. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

So the completion percentage is not that great but his over all numbers are SICK!!!

Cody Hawkins in the redzone 2007 (Incl bowl game)

32-58 (55%)

202 Yards

16 TDs
    1 INT:wow:

Can't ask for better production than that.

19. dio

I have seen a few posts about picking up a 'Jumbo' receiver.

Doesn't redshirt freshman Simas fit the bill for a Jumbo receiver? Big-target with excellent hands...

20. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Getting the TE involved is huge in the passing game (2000s corp benefited from Graham) but I will still argue that the key to the passing game is a solid running game. Freeze the LBs, get the safties to crowd the line, those are the things that will open up the passing game.

Yeah, it's totally cliche but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

21. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I would agree. It's probably one of the oldest cliche's in the book, but it certainly does seem to be the case.