1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It looks like no-one noticed yet, but Eric Beiniemy is in town this weekend.....

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Bone Buff, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

2. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

Mmm....interesting timing.

3. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

Is it an off week for the Vikings? Would be a good time to get an interview out of the way.

4. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Question is -- is Bohn remotely interested?

5. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

The vikings play chicago this weekend so im sure its a quick trip.

6. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

I know that CJ and Klatt were talking and in thier opinion, if CU does not hire EB they will regret it because they felt in 10 years he will be one of, if not THE best HC in the college ranks. And if he cannot coach at CU they felt he will go back to west coast Cali schools to coach, which means not only will CU not have him, but will have him roaming the opposing sidelines every year. Which is one reason why I would love to have him here with Mac as the OC and HCIW. Or with Les Miles as the OC. Not sure he would do that though. And Mac as the recruting coordiator. Hey, I can dream!

7. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

Is any other school interested in EB as a head coach?

The guy is a position coach, a CU hero, but he seems really, really light on experience running things.

Would CU fans even remotely consider him if for not his CU background? If not, I think that would be red flag.

8. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

EB has proven to be an amazing recruiter. This along with West coast ties is good enough for me.

9. rscmac

rscmac Club Member Club Member

He would need to find a good OC and DC for sure.

10. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

I don't know about EB's Xs and Os, but he will land top 20, sometimes top 10, recruiting classes and those kids will play their asses off. Tell me that doesn't equal 8-9 wins a season. I just convinced myself. He is the guy we want.

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Supposedly USC offered him their offensive coordinator position this past spring. He turned it down for a raise at Minnesota. If it's true that USC came calling, I would think more teams will before too long.

Bienemy already bolted Colorado once for a bigger pay day - what are the chances he does the same thing if he was hired as CU's head coach?

12. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Meh, when he left Colorado he needed a raise and/or help with his son and he went home to LA and got both. Additionally, I was inside the team at that time and EB and Embo were not the biggest GB fans in the world.

13. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Yeah, as I recall his kid needed some sort of medical treatment and a hospital near UCLA was the best hospital in the country for that process which was supposedly a long process over a the course of a year or two. Can't really hold that against him. Besides, if another place is offering more pay, it was our dumb fault for not at least matching it. I mean at that time he was about to be ranked the #1 recruiter in the country.

14. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I would be a-ok with Eric. He can recruit, he has deep ties to the national black coaches association (i think), which would have any HS coach giving him a call if any of their kids can play D1 ball (thanks for that scoop Buffnik). He is clearly valued, as the Vikings promoted him this past offseason. He would also understand (I hope) that he needs to build a strong staff, and he could pull in a strong DC and OC.

15. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Needs an interview to present his case. I hope he at least gets that.

16. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

Yup. Being a good college coach really isn't about X's and O's. It's about recruiting and having great coordinators. If he does that, he will be successful. He'll stock the talent up in any case. I don't see much downside.

“it ain't about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmies and Joes” Jimmy Johnson

17. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

+1

18. bombay

bombay Well-Known Member

19. HornBuff

HornBuff Horns Down

That might be good enough. You never know.

20. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

His leaving had everything to do with little Eric. Like you said, not being a big GB fan didn't hurt.

21. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

You just never know about guys like EB until you get them in the door.

With any candidate you need them to present a comprehensive plan explaining what he wants to do, who he may hire, where he would recruit, what kind of support he needs from the university, what changes need to be made, etc. A prospective coach needs to have a comprehensive understanding of the current dynamics at CU as well as explaining what he can bring to the table. This would be the first hurdle for me if I were a member of the search committee.

If it was simply a Hawkins-type who is a hot coach, like he was, and that guy comes in and says I win everywhere, I will win here, then you kick the guy out the door. I don't care what that guy's credentials may be, that isn't enough to succeed here. And I am not suggesting that is what happened when Hawkins was interviewed the first time, I was just coming up with an example.

This is akin to a company restructuring and it needs to be treated as such.

22. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

Exactly. People look at someone's record, oh he won there. He's won everywhere he's been, we just plug him and and bang we win. There's a lot more to it than that. Critical to me:

~ Does this person want to be @ CU?
    ~ What's his plan.

We all know Mac will have a very detailed plan and he knows the landscape. This makes him very appealing.

23. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

24. NashBuff

What kind of offense would EB want to run? I'm sure he would make sure CU runs the ball well but what kind of running offense?

25. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Probably take something similar to what they've used at Minnesota with AD.

26. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

CJ and Klatt now say he won't be in town. If that's the case, this article seems really misleading.

27. NashBuff

No dobut about that but would it be more of the coventional type or running west and east type of offense?

28. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

"The average rusher, son, don't take a dump without a plan."

*Modified to fit EB specifically*

29. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Anything will be better if they can reduce the dumb penalties with some discipline. I suspect EB's team won't get a delay of game on the first play of the game. No more 12 men on the field after a timeout or for that matter no more timeouts after a timeout.

30. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

Jimmy stole it from Barry Switzer