What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

J-Fly Bye Bye?

If they played in front of tens of thousands of fans every week, got to play on tv, and had even the slightest hope of ever playing pro ball...yes they would do all of that.

So then college football isnt as much like a job as it is an internship? my internship was a lot like work.

Sorry, honey, the world is not black and white. You'll understand this, some day, maybe. Nice deflection on your comparison of playing and working, though. Congrats!

:rolleyes: (Reading is an important skill.) I never said it was completely free. There are levels of free, despite some posts to the contrary. I was really just making fun of the comparison to peeling potatoes, which is absurd on any level.

what is your issue, exactly? they get to do something you can only jack and dream to? :confused:

i would like to hear some real-life examples of "levels of free".

what is your issue, exactly? they get to do something you can only jack and dream to? :confused:

i would like to hear some real-life examples of "levels of free".

I'm guessing nothing I write will have any effect, but think about your piss poor example of a free cruise ending with potato peeling - does the cruise make it free, do you have to get the flight free, hotel, cab ride, food, postage - there are many different costs, but I'm betting you either hadn't considered them or thought some of them were tolerable to still call it free. And as I said before, the non-scholarship guys surely think the others are getting a free education, at least by comparison. Funny though, for a girl to talk about wanting what can't be had on the football field - at least I played on some level, albeit a long time ago, and not collegiately. And again, I was really just poking fun at you for comparing playing football to peeling potatoes. Don't let your panties get in such an uproar, it's just the friggin' internet. :lol:

I'm guessing nothing I write will have any effect, but think about your piss poor example of a free cruise ending with potato peeling - does the cruise make it free, do you have to get the flight free, hotel, cab ride, food, postage - there are many different costs, but I'm betting you either hadn't considered them or thought some of them were tolerable to still call it free. And as I said before, the non-scholarship guys surely think the others are getting a free education, at least by comparison. Funny though, for a girl to talk about wanting what can't be had on the football field - at least I played on some level, albeit a long time ago, and not collegiately. And again, I was really just poking fun at you for comparing playing football to peeling potatoes. Don't let your panties get in such an uproar, it's just the friggin' internet. :lol:

postage is necessary now for a cruise??? food??? wtf? for someone concerned with piss poor examples, you sure are bringing up stupid ****.

using accurate terminology has little to do with what non-scholarship players think. last i checked, they were not the guardians of the english language. but since you bring it up, why not show us a stat that would demonstrate that a majority of non-scholarship athletes cannot distinguish between free and an exchange. go for it, since they are your only group that represents your claim to stratification of free.

and no, i did not say that playing football is like peeling potatoes. only you chose to say that or see it that way. i was commenting on the concept of FREE - that if it requires an exchange in any manner, it cannot be called free. whether potatoes, football, or pogo sticks free is no-strings-attached. an exchange is something altogether different.

Last edited:
When will Josh get the ruling on his appeal?

Dennis Erickson asked me to ask you.

When will Josh get the ruling on his appeal?

Dennis Erickson asked me to ask you.

Josh has already received the ruling, it just hasn't been made public.

That's why, just drawing the logical conclusion, I think the Josh Smith/CU saga is not "over."

Stay tuned...

If the decision has been made, and neither side has gone public. Doesn't it seem like neither one is 100% happy with decision or outcome? Nobody is exactly doing the happy dance?

If JFly got everything that he wanted, he'd be talking. If CU was ready to wash their hands of JS, they'd announce it.

Sure, I'm delusional, but it's possible that a compromise is still being discussed.

Prodigal son and all that.

30!!!!

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!!

goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo me!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the decision has been made, and neither side has gone public. Doesn't it seem like neither one is 100% happy with decision or outcome? Nobody is exactly doing the happy dance?

If JFly got everything that he wanted, he'd be talking. If CU was ready to wash their hands of JS, they'd announce it.

Sure, I'm delusional, but it's possible that a compromise is still being discussed.

Prodigal son and all that.

My gut is telling me that Josh is talking to U$C fishing for a scholly. He probably has channels into several other programs *cough*ASU*cough* and is testing the waters, pulling transcrips together, writing application essays, ect. I suspect the appeal board expanded Bohn's list and the next news we will hear will involve a scholarship offer to some program that none of us saw coming.

My gut is telling me that Josh is talking to U$C fishing for a scholly. He probably has channels into several other programs *cough*ASU*cough* and is testing the waters, pulling transcrips together, writing application essays, ect. I suspect the appeal board expanded Bohn's list and the next news we will hear will involve a scholarship offer to some program that none of us saw coming.

Yep, that's my point.
If JFly got everything that he wanted, he'd be talking.

Since it's quiet from both parties, he is still negotiating something with someone.

Where ever he goes, he's going to have to work pretty hard to earn a spot.
But until it's announced, I'd still think Hawkins could pull some kind of turnaround in this situation. I mean even if unlikely, it's possible, until a transfer school is announced.

But does it have a music degree
and is it closer to home?

Just sayin'

That assumes the academic review board supports Bohn's geographical limitation. I don't think an academic based review board would have much basis to support this limitation on a 20-21 year old man. I'm not sure how much authority they have to assess music programs that CU Boulder doesn't even offer. And if they are an academic review board, I doubt they would have the same competitive concerns as the athletic department.

Does the review board have the authority to expand the list? Is the review board's authority limited to only approve/deny? Or can they recommend that the athletic department modify their ruling based on an acceptable set of parameters?

Does the review board have the authority to expand the list? Is the review board's authority limited to only approve/deny? Or can they recommend that the athletic department modify their ruling based on an acceptable set of parameters?

That entire process is shrouded in mystery.

But if you look at the thread I started on Transfers and NCAA rules, the 3-member review boards almost always side with the athletic department.
Because the law is on their side since the kid signed an agreement.

That entire process is shrouded in mystery.

But if you look at the thread I started on Transfers and NCAA rules, the 3-member review boards almost always side with the athletic department.
Because the law is on their side since the kid signed an agreement.

That was a good suggestion to review the transfer thread. Your research paints a good backdrop for the situation at hand. A couple thoughts jumped out at me.

1) CU Boulder can be iconoclastic. After the 'scandal' and Churchill, it's possible that the Benson/Bohn regime will behave like OU, Miami, USC, S. Carolina, Florida State, or Michigan. These were case studies you mentioned. Considering that the culture of Boulder emphisizes a unique way of doing things, I'm not sold on the belief that CU's review board is willing or able to consider any 'wisdom' coming out of some football crazed school in the hicksville south, nor Los Angeles, Ann Arbor and Norman. When it comes to football, some academic types are more than willing to cut off their nose to spite their University's face. Anything to make a point, right?

The second item is that you mention on 6/15 Ringo indicated a decission is made and we should hear something this week. It's Thursday PM and still nothing. Friday afternoons are famous for issuing bad or embarassing news.

The second item is that you mention on 6/15 Ringo indicated a decission is made and we should hear something this week. It's Thursday PM and still nothing. Friday afternoons are famous for issuing bad or embarassing news.

I'll be checking in at 4:30 Friday to see what has been announced. :smile2:

Hopefully they rhyme.

Hopefully they rhyme.

I can see it now: a rap video admissions essay.

type type type
delete delete delete...

I admit it: I was going to write a spoof rap song appealing to the admissions people, but I think I should leave it alone. I tried, I really did.

It was a lame attempt. Worse than Letterman's joke about ... you know who's daughter and a certain baseball player. Worse than U of W football's record last year. It was even badder than you can imagine, and not in a good way. It stunk worse than a hockey locker room.

I can see it now: a rap video admissions essay.

type type type
delete delete delete...

I admit it: I was going to write a spoof rap song appealing to the admissions people, but I think I should leave it alone. I tried, I really did.

It was a lame attempt. Worse than Letterman's joke about ... you know who's daughter and a certain baseball player. Worse than U of W football's record last year. It was even badder than you can imagine, and not in a good way. It stunk worse than a hockey locker room.

You only gave the effort 13 minutes? Perfecting your craft takes lots of time. Dedicate yourself. :smile2:

Maybe at 4:15 today Bohn will announce that J-Fly will stay on at CU on the conditions that all new 2009 music students will be required to take a rap music & video class (101) under the tutelage of Professor J-Fly Smith.

Back