1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joel Klatt Article

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by TSchekler, Sep 23, 2016.

1. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

Good article about Klatt's journey from alcoholic to Fox's #1 CFB color guy.

2. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

Amazing

3. Sideburn

Sideburn Club Member Club Member

Solid write up and story. Found out that I suffer the same side effects of Klatt. Sunlight, really bright lights in general give me a severe headache after about 15-20 minutes. Good to know it's not a tumor...

4. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Nice story, but he still comes across a bit too pompous for my liking.

5. Tatanka™

Tatanka™ Well-Known Member

He's a pompous ass, but he's our pompous ass!

ZandiBuff, FlatironsBuff and CULifer like this.
  6. GoldStampede

GoldStampede Well-Known Member

Klatt was my favorite player as a kid for quite a while. Still makes me mad to think about his last play as a Buff. He should have never been in that game at that point. Who would of thought it would be a fitting beginning for a really awful decade...

7. buffalo1

buffalo1 Club Member Club Member

I appreciated him as a QB, enjoyed his radio show and now like his broadcasting. Sure, a bit arrogant, but that's often part of the chemistry of people who are driven to succeed in things.

8. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

I won't forget his antics on the radio post embree

Alfred91 and RiverBuff like this.
  9. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

Klatt was a great Buff and always gave it his all on the field. However, I do remember some of the things he said after Embree was fired and I'm still a bit turned off to this day.

Fight CU likes this.
  10. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

The way it went down between Bohn & Barnett was not a wound that was ever going to heal. Pretty much everyone pre-Hawkins absolutely loathed Bohn. Found themselves torn between supporting the program and the personal feelings. Hawkins being such a failure and a boob didn't help the situation. But when Embree and a largely Buff staff was fired after 2 years - by Bohn - they absolutely went off. They couldn't believe that Bohn was being allowed to fire another coach and hire another coach. The main thing they wanted, were right about, and ultimately got, was a change at the AD level.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  11. TSchekler

Right. And that's why I don't get the continued animosity toward Klatt and others for their opinions. They weren't necessarily vehemetely supporting Embree and the job he was doing, but rather pissed off at Bohn... Which everyone here was as well.

12. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

And Brown did nothing about that cheap shot, iirc.

He and Barnett were supposed to be friends, yet he dialed up a punt block leading by 5 tds. Some bud.

Waldo likes this.
  13. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

I don't remember it being framed like that. At all.

14. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Good read.

15. TSchekler

How do you remember it being framed? At the end of the day, that was the root of the anger,

16. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Yeah, I didn't know much of this about him. Lights and Sun bug the hell outta me too. Idk what causes it but hell I wear my sunglasses in stores. Ill get lightheaded and I'll just sit for a bit. If I don't have to get much, I'm good. If it's like a big list, then Lord help me. Truck, I got these shades I ordered, they work on everything but those goddamn bluish looking lights, hate those damn things. Durango people usually have those.

17. TDbuff

TDbuff Club Member Club Member

There's 2 things with Joel for me:
    1. Early in his radio/media career he relied too much on a "I played, you didn't" attitude which really made him sound like a d*ck a lot of the time. The fact that he had this attitude on air was made more annoying by the fact that his playing career wasn't that great--undeserved arrogance.
    2. He really lost his sh*t about Bohn/Embree, both on his show and at the presser. Hating Bohn is warranted, but losing control as a media person is not.

All that said, talking for a living isn't easy, and it took him a while to find his voice. He worked at it, went through a lot, and he's as polished as they come now.

dyemeduke and Alfred91 like this.
  18. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I'm conflicted with Klatt. I'm happy that he's being successful, he's a hell of a media guy. Really knows his stuff.

He was a decent QB at CU. Not excellent, but not crap either. Plus he was a warrior. He got the **** beat out of him, and still got up and kept going (as that Texas fiasco attests).

But his absolute trashing of the program and the university in general was completely overboard. I get it, he was pissed. But his emotions blinded him to the simple fact that Embree had cratered the program and had to go. It was a time for Buffs to pull together around the program, at least publicly. Instead he went on a media rampage that did nothing but make the program look even worse than it already did.

The only saving grace was that Klatt was only a local guy back then, and we were so irrelevant by the time Embree was done that no one noticed outside of Colorado.

NiTownBuff and Fight CU like this.
  19. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Some good points here.

I got to know Bohn on a small level and he was very good at this part of his job. I still wonder if he took too much advise from others when hiring football coaches?

Hawkins was the hot hire and he probably made up his decision before even interviewing him. Embree was obviously done over his head. He then went after Butch Jones and I think we are all happy how that ended up. MM is still a wait and see.

However, the biggest issue I saw with the whole Embree firing was the press conference. He completely bombed this. He gave everyone and anyone a chance to lay into him and that back fired. Guys wanted the chance to do this and he gave them an all access pass at doing it. Can't blame Klatt for that. Bohn is very good at certain details of being an AD. Probably one of the best. However, being an AD attached to a football program, may not be his best suit.

20. PAHIBuff

PAHIBuff Club Member Club Member

I'm a big Joel Klatt fan. He walked through the fire of the Pseudo Scandal and was the rational face of the program. I've never heard him use his shoulder injury as an excuse for his play falling off in, roughly, the second half in his QB career. Looks like he's beating his drinking problem. Kudos to Klatt all the way. Proud that he's a Buff.

21. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

Buffson shared a home for 2 years, those of you who don't know Joel and want trash his character and love for the program are seriously misguided.

A binge drinker is merely a potential alcoholic, not many at that point have much reason to look inside, those that do potentially spare themselves a lifetime of pain.

DBT likes this.
  22. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

I think he does a great job as a commentator, why would you not want to see a Buff succeed?

Randy.Watson, DBT, TSchekler and 2 others like this.
  23. Big Jim

Big Jim WTF? Club Member

Some people are just too small minded, they hate others simply because they don't share the same opinions.

Arcbuff2 and Waldo like this.
  24. Waldo

Waldo Original Copy Club Member

So is the Trump/Hillary hate for the same reason or is there another? I happen to have a strong dislike for liars and willful ignorance.

There again some people must think lying is an attribute to be desired, so it would seem since they embrace liars as leaders.

25. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Let's keep the politics out of the other forums, please.

Thank you.

Randy.Watson likes this.
  26. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Is Joel voting for Hillary or is he voting for Trump?

27. jkppkjjkp

jkppkjjkp Well-Known Member

Deez Nuts

28. Jeric

Jeric ... Club Member

I hope Klatt's accuracy on the first prediction is not indicative of the success of the 2nd.

29. HaikuBUFF

HaikuBUFF Club Member Club Member

Joel Klatt fan or not
    QB 14 bleeds CU
    Matt Leinart, pinhead

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  30. The Ogre

The Ogre Club Member Club Member

Nice to see.