1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnna Pointer Named Assistant Women's Basketball Coach

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RSSBot, May 17, 2010.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

Johnna Pointer has been named an assistant women's basketball coach at the University of Colorado, head coach Linda Lappe announced on Monday.

More...

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

"I am so pleased to have been offered this position by coach Lappe," Pointer said. "Knowing her vision of where she wants this program to go, with the players and the coaching staff she is bringing together, and the passion she has for CU, it's exciting to be a part of this. It's going to be an incredible journey and I'm looking forward to being part of it.

"I think of myself as a player's coach, here is for the players; to get to know them on and off the court and have an impact on their lives is something that is important to me. I want to be part of rebuilding a winning program here."

Before coming to Colorado, Pointer was the Administrative President for the Hoop 10 Basketball - Serious Basketball Instruction program in Amarillo, Texas. In her position she had a hand in every facet of the program. Pointer would recruit players and organize competitive teams, plan and conduct individual and team practices and schedule and direct camps and clinics throughout Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

3. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

So does that mean no swoops?

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I believe this leaves one more opening.

Here's hoping it is Swoopes.

Pointer will coach the guards and bring a lot of administrative expertise. The other assistant, Jennie Baranczyk, is focused on coaching the post players and will serve as recruiting coordinator. Tracy Tripp was retained as Director of Ops, which I think was good for continuity and also because she's a great Buff (plus it doesn't hurt to have someone with a ton of coaching experience in that job). It seems like we've got our bases covered, especially with Ceal Barry working in the role of kind of a CEO for the program. Be nice if we could make a splash with our last hire. Swoopes would be national news.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Hmm.

6. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

Pointer also has 9 years of head coaching experience albeit not at the division 1 Big 12 level. She was at a JUCO for 2 years then 7 years at Wayland Baptist, an NAIA school. But Wayland is one of the big names in early women's basketball history. Before it became an NCAA sport and grew into an expensive operation, Wayland was one of the pioneer schools in promoting women's bb.

I'm also still hoping for Swoopes in the final position. With Pointer coaching guards and Baranczyk coaching the posts, that leaves 'forwards' open..... and guess what position Swoopes played.