1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jon Embree? I love this guy

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Idot Buff, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

I watched another post-practice interview. Jon was sent to us from God. Too bad Mike did not pick Jon 5 years ago. Like Gary B said, CU football is a gold mine. Jon will get us there, I am completely convinced.

2. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

Jon may not have been ready five years ago. Hell he may not be ready now. Time will tell.

3. OriginalWhiz

OriginalWhiz Member

Speaking as a relative newcomer to CU football, I have to say I'm impressed so far. It's great that he and many of the coaching staff are alumns, and you can tell that he's going to put his heart and soul into leading CU back to the promised land. He's going to raise expectations around the program and demand more from his players. It's going to take some time, but just speaking from where I sit, he looks like the real deal.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Really great to hear this from another perspective. Sometimes I worry that my Embo mancrush may have grown to blinding proportions. Frankly, after the HaLkins error I'd probably get excited by HC Cup-O-Warm-Piss.

5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

You missed the Hawkins error? Man, you're one lucky Beav. Probably makes some of the Oregon State coaches from your dark ages look competent

6. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Frankly after Hawkins, I'll just wait to see results on the field. Banner reviews from the press and gushing reports from practice are not that far way in our history. Please excuse me if I reserve some judgment until we come out and beat Hawaii and CSU and hold our own against ohio stank and california.

7. buffs

buffs Club Member Club Member

Looks like Kyle Ringo can be included in the Embo Mancrush Club.

8. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Why the hell would you ever get excited about HaLk again?

9. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

His heart is in the right place and I know he will work his ass off for Colorado. Time will tell if that is enough.

10. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I'm with you all and the crush probably is larger for most just because of the HaLk....in any event, still needs to equate to success on the playing field....We'll see from Game #1 if he can already distance himself from the previous regime's failings, CAN'T WAIT!!!

11. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Love the way he handled the kicking situation between Oliver and Castor. He put them under pressure and went with the one who could handle it.

12. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

JuiceTits didn't care about winning. Embree does. That's a big step up already. At least there will be frustration if we lose, instead of meditation.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  13. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

it was only after Hawkins discovered he wasn't going to win, that he started caring about the other things. pretty disingenuous move, imo. year 1 he was talking about fate and winning the national championship. only later did he discover his commitment to "doing it right".

14. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

This^^^^^^

By all reports the attitude is much different this year. There has not been a single zen quote out of Boulder. None of the BS good citizenship medals, hugs, and orange slices for everyone. Players that make plays are rewarded, and those that don't exercise.

I understand that everything needs to translate into wins on the field, but I feel much more confident with the direction things are going. At the end of the DII error it was clear that HaLk could have had an entire team of 5* players and he would have "coached" them into a sub par effort.

With Embree & CO for the first time in 5 years it feels like players have an attitude and intensity required to succeed.

15. DesertDawg526

DesertDawg526 Resident Dawg Club Member

+1

I think Embree is the real deal and will bring CU back fast. He still needs a few full recruiting classes to build depth and the mentality to bring CU back, but I will be shocked if CU is not a perennial contender for the Pac within 3 years...

It's about time:thumbsup:

16. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

Another thing missing from the reports this year during practice is we no longer have water balloon fights and go to WaterWorld/Eliches when we should be practicing. I hated those stories in the Hawk regime. I get building chemistry, but you still need to hit people. I am so pumped that we're actually practicing during practice time.

17. OriginalWhiz

OriginalWhiz Member

Ha - you know the funny thing, the Beavers almost hired Dan Hawkins before they hired Mike Riley the second time around. A pretty significant portion of Beaver Nation was pissed that they took Mike back instead of getting Hawkins. (Thank goodness we dodged that bullet!) But truthfully...I feel your pain. Take Hawkins and raise him to the 5th power. Consider this list of futility:

YearCoachWL
    1971Dee Andros56
    1972Dee Andros29
    1973Dee Andros29
    1974Dee Andros38
    1975Dee Andros110
    1976Craig Fertig210
    1977Craig Fertig29
    1978Craig Fertig37
    1979Craig Fertig110
    1980Joe Avezzano11
    1981Joe Avezzano110
    1982Joe Avezzano19
    1983Joe Avezzano28
    1984Joe Avezzano29
    1985Dave Kragthorpe38
    1986Dave Kragthorpe38
    1987Dave Kragthorpe29
    1988Dave Kragthorpe46
    1989Dave Kragthorpe47
    1990Dave Kragthorpe110
    1991Jerry Pettibone110
    1992Jerry Pettibone19
    1993Jerry Pettibone47
    1994Jerry Pettibone47
    1995Jerry Pettibone110
    1996Jerry Pettibone29

It pains me to include Dee Andros on this list, but his last few years were truly awful and when the sliding began. I grew up in Corvallis, and I can remember going to games when Pettibone was coaching, knowing that we had no chance. One of my first games was vs. lowly UNLV when I was 9 or 10 years old. We left at halftime with the Beavers down like 45-3. And yes, it was raining. :bang: So in conclusion, I think you'll agree that other than the unintentional comedy gold of "IT'S DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!!!" :lol:, those guys actually make Hawkins look good. At least there's some hope with Embree on board and an administration and fanbase that cares. For many years, we didn't even have that.

18. OriginalWhiz

OriginalWhiz Member

BTW, that blank spot in the win column for Joe Avezzano in 1980 is actually a zero. :bang:

19. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

20. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Jesus that's ******

21. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I cringed reading that. Wow.

22. Cyberbuff

Cyberbuff New Member

I'm sold on Embree

I was highly skeptical about Embree as the choice - - until I got to know him. Totally on board now, and very impressed with his first 8 months.

23. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

What Embree is doing now is setting a new standard that the players have to adjust to. After years of juiceboxes and zen bull****, Embree is a slap in the face. Eventually, he'll have to back off a bit, though. You can't keep up the hardass taskmaster bit indefinitely. It starts to wear thin.

24. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

So troo. But, as the players get indoctrinated to this staff, get to know the system better, and make fewer mistakes, JE will get to back off a bit. If he still needs to crack the whip and call out players repeatedly next year, we may all be in trouble....

25. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I disagree, Nick Saban continues to be a harsh on his players. I was watching a ESPN documentary on Alabama practices, and he is intense and if you **** up you will hear about it. He gave star WR Julio Jones a good lashing and took him out the remainder of practice for dropping two passes in a row.

26. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

You get to do that when all you do is win. Gotta be more delicate without the resume to back you up.

27. Unleash Hell

I'm a believer of hard nosed ****. If you **** up, you get railed on, if you do things good you get praised. I hate soft ****. Do you know why the Green Bay Packers were so good in the 60's? Because Vince Lombardi personally threated to kick his players asses if they didn't cross the goal line in 1st and goal situations.

28. fervorfactor

fervorfactor Active Member

For what its worth...... at practice this morning the D-line drills were going on in a near by end zone. Embo came over to observe. There was an elderly couple there with about a 5 year old little boy, grandson. Embo walked over to them, chatted for a second and then held up the yellow rope and invited the little guy out onto the field with him. He talked to the kid and asked him a bunch of questions while still watching the drill. At the end of the drill he said goodbye and ran off. Gramps and the kid were grinning from ear to ear. I'm sure every d-lineman saw what happened.

29. Unleash Hell

Thats awesome!

30. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

Don't let the NCAA know. It's probably a recruiting violation!:smile2: