1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jorge Gutierrez

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by Daaah, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

how much better would this team be with him as the SR PG instead of that other one?

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

This story moved me to tears. No one should have to use a basketball net that has holes in it.

It wasn't much of a court, with holes in the net, but it worked - and Jorge, as the youngest, had no choice but to become the scrappiest.

4. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

:lol:

5. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

You want them to have to use a ladder to get the ball down every time?

6. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

it was scary because people questioned his legitimacy because he WAS here illegally... GOD DAMN THIS REDNECK STATE :rolling_eyes:

7. Buffnik

"Gutierrez, a 6-foot-3 guard, left Denver for Las Vegas partly to escape questions about his eligibility and partly because Findlay offered better competition (and a scholarship)."

For those of you who don't speak PC, this translates as:

"Gutierrez, a 6-foot-3 guard, left Denver for Las Vegas because he had a snowball's chance in hell of getting admitted to a college and needed a prep school to fix his transcripts."

Also for the PC crowd, I fully support and respect Gutierrez for doing what he needed to do to get himself ahead. But that doesn't convince me that he's not 30 years old or change the fact that a Denver high school seems to be recruiting players to illegally immigrate from Mexico.

8. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

Something the US has always done. We'll take immigrants provided someone wants them for labor or to better their team, but the moment they cant work or are not of any use to someone send them all back. Happens in Europe too.

Now, I know we cant take everyone who wants a job here but obviously there is need of a labor pool for jobs that most of us here think we are too good to perform. Dont have the answers but I know what we currently have isn't working. Need to offer some way to balance the labor needs and the legalization of their status as residents.

9. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

You have to salute him for what he has accomplished but I question how prepared for real college studies you can be haing to learn English in two years as well as try to gain the foundational cultural knowledge involved, all while dedicating yourself to playing basketball.

I know that Cal is a school with a very good reputation but I also look at the "Interdisciplinary Studies" major and think this is a bogus major designed to keep an athlete eligible and maybe get him a degree that won't cause a hit to the graduation rates for the AD. I have no idea what it involves but it sounds to me like a "every department has a couple of easy classes, let's put them all together and make it a major for students who can't handle a regular degree program."

10. Buffnik

You went a bit off the reservation there. We're not talking about a business looking for cheap labor and willing to break the law to get it. We're talking about a high school (government agency, by definition) that is encouraging illegal activities.

11. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I played against Jorge and know his coaches at Lincoln pretty well. While I do question the legitimacy, it doesn't bother me much because the Valdez brothers (the coaches) sacrifice a lot of their time and resources outside of their regular responsibilities for a lot of different people in different situations, not only bball players. Jorge always seemed nice (despite not speaking much) whenever I saw him.

12. Buffnik

With tutors/academic counselors who work for the athletic department advising and an AD friendly professor as the mentor, Interdisciplinary Studies could be a complete joke of a degree.

Here's the description from the UC Berkeley web site:

The Interdisciplinary Studies Field Major (ISF) at UC-Berkeley offers students the opportunity to develop an individualized cross disciplinary research major utilizing courses from the social sciences, the humanities, and/or the professional schools and colleges. It also enables students to apply key concepts and theoretical instruments from the Social Sciences and/or Humanities to the research design and execution of a senior thesis. The ISF Major is unique in the College of Letters and Science in the importance it assigns to the faculty advising role. The student's part in this aspect of the major is active, not passive. That is, the student actively plans her/his own research and study program and cultivates a working relationship with the assigned or chosen faculty adviser as she/he proceeds through the various stages of study and research. Through the process of application, advising and researching and writing the thesis, students and faculty advisors continuously interact with each other.
    Before being admitted to the major, the students must explain their academic goals, outline their research focus, and describe the proposed course of study (2-3 pages). In most other majors, the department lays out all course requirements. In the ISF Major, however, only the "World Civilization" courses and the "core theory courses" [ISF l00A, and/or l00B, 100C, 100D, 100E, 100F and l90/195] are prescribed. Other prerequisites and requirements are individually determined. This means that it is the student's responsibility, in close consultation with her/his faculty adviser, to select the most appropriate courses each semester. The only way this selection can reasonably be made is by reference to the criteria -explicit and implicit- set forth in the student's "AREA OF CONCENTRATION," the student’s research area, that is.
    Each student, with the help of a faculty adviser, will select courses and focus his/her major on the basis of a unifying problem, issue, theme or topic called an ‘Area of Concentration’ [area of research]. The area of concentration / research must meet three criteria to be acceptable:
    • First, the area of concentration must be interdisciplinary. This means the area of concentration must integrate knowledge and theoretical frameworks from at least three fields and disciplines. The principle of integration can be historical, regional, thematic or problem-focused.
    • Second, the area of concentration must not replicate an existing major. The purpose of the ISF major is to link undergraduates with clusters of courses and faculty where no structured or formal program exists.
    • Third, the area of concentration must be feasible. Each student's proposed program must be discussed with a faculty adviser to make sure that the range and number of courses required will be available.

13. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

It would be interesting to see exactly how many students at UC-Berkley are taking this major and how many of those are schollarship athletes, especially in revenue sports.

14. buffwings

And you think the mentality isnt the same? They exploit those with lesser means for the supposedly 'mutual' benefit of both parties and they dont mind breaking laws to do so.

15. Buffnik

By "off the reservation" I meant that you were extrapolating and widening the discussion. We're in the basketball forum, not politics.

fwiw, the mentality is exactly the same. As is what goes on with college recruiting in many cases. Or really any situation where there is a power inequity that allows one party to take advantage of the other and the party being taken advantage of is a willing participant due to a lack of better options. I was just trying to avoid things getting that broad.

16. buffwings

Concur with both points. fair enough; we now end your scheduled interruption and return to your normal programming... CU BBall

17. shang

shang Member

Daaah likes this.
  18. The Guest

The Guest Guest

GOD DAMN THIS REDNECK RUGGED :rolling_eyes:

19. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I remember seeing him play at Ralston Valley. Pretty much everyone believed he was older than claimed. But no one treated him with any disrespect that I saw.

20. shang

shang Member

also forgot, if tad had never come to CU, can you imagine what UNC would have looked like w/ Gutierrez and Roberson together!?!?!? as Roberson originally was a Tad recruit going to UNC...

21. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

Our schools growing up didn't even have nets, just a rim...

22. Da Lama

Da Lama Well-Known Member

There are plenty of rumors about the (ahem) coaching practices at Lincoln. Let's just say if even half of them are true it's a bit frightening. That school is dirty and I'm not talking about the grounds around the school itself.

23. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I heard Drew Goodman mention that in the game. I don't believe that to be true. Coach Abertemarco that was recruiting him semi-serious in Bzdelick era.
    http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread....d-to-Colorado)?p=648597&viewfull=1#post648597

24. shang

shang Member

25. shang

shang Member

here's a pretty interesting lineup for the spring and summer of 2007 colorado AAU hoops, these kids were all on the same team:

Jorge from Lincoln (Cal)
    Reggie Jackson from Palmer(Boston College, NBA Oklahoma)
    Trevor Noonan from Legacy(AFA, Denver)
    Trey Ekloff from Cherry Creek(Colorado)
    Dallas Elmore from Poudre(Boston College)
    Sabatino Chen from Monarch ( Denver, Colorado)

Was wondering you played w/ or against them that summer, that was a helluva travel team...

26. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I'm two years (school years, who knows about age years) older than him.

jgisland likes this.
  27. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

:lol:

28. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

I'm pretty sure Tad Boyle said last year's team would've been a Sweet 16 team with Jorge on the roster. This was before we played Cal in the NIT.

29. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Brutal offensive game for him tonight,2-17 from the field, 0-3 from 3 and 1-4 from the line.

30. shang

shang Member

yes, brutal but they won and if you noticed, his D was strong, passed well and w/out the offense, was still a factor for Cal....give CU credit as coaches probably said, stop jorge and crabbe, which they did, just not kamp and cobb!!