What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just for discussion sake, where do we rank to start 2017?

letsgoavs192

I support systemic racism
Looking through the power 5 conferences I see anywhere from 10-16 teams that could be ranked ahead of us to start the year. Guessing we will be about 15

I think it's entirely possible that we aren't ranked at all. Voters are funny. We lose a bunch of players on the defensive side of the ball, and it was the defense that got us the ranking we have. Based on that, I could easily see a scenario where the voters take a wait and see approach before putting us in the top 25.

I think it's entirely possible that we aren't ranked at all. Voters are funny. We lose a bunch of players on the defensive side of the ball, and it was the defense that got us the ranking we have. Based on that, I could easily see a scenario where the voters take a wait and see approach before putting us in the top 25.
At quick glance when I go through the power 5 conferences I don't see more than 15 teams that should start ahead of us. USC and Washington in the PAC. Oklahoma and maybe one other team in the Big 12. 4-5 in the Big 10, a couple in the ACC and 3-4 in the SEC.

Guessing we don't get ranked, the narrative will be that we are a one hit wonder that loses their entire defense and their SR QB. Media has been setting that one up all year.

One of the media story lines this year was our experience and that we were senior heavy. So that's in the collective consciousness out there. I think we will get dinged for losing so much experience but rewarded for our success this season. So I'll say we make the top 25 but barely. I say No. 23.

You don't lose that many starters including a senior QB and remain ranked unless you have been recruiting lights out for years. Unranked. Gotta earn it all again.

At quick glance when I go through the power 5 conferences I don't see more than 15 teams that should start ahead of us. USC and Washington in the PAC. Oklahoma and maybe one other team in the Big 12. 4-5 in the Big 10, a couple in the ACC and 3-4 in the SEC.
I see Stanford and possibly UCLA and Utah being ranked higher than us going in to next year. If Rosen comes back, UCLA for sure. That's just in the PAC 12.

Maybe 25th I would think. Kind of depends on the bowl game outcome as well. This is kind of uncharted territory where we've been so bad and then became so good. I agree that many pollsters may not yet be believers.

Bunch of pessimists right now (but I get it).

Win our bowl game: top 15
Lose a tight bowl game: top 20
Lose badly: possibly not ranked

Unranked and I think that is appropriate. We're losing a lot of guys. I expect us to be quite good, but it's definitely an unknown at this point.

20-25, assuming we win our bowl game. It's probably better they don't start the season with a target on their back.

Voters don't look that hard. Win the bowl game against the 12th ranked team, solidify a top 10 season ending rank with 11 wins and we will start out in the top 25 for sure.

Voters don't look that hard. Win the bowl game against the 12th ranked team, solidify a top 10 season ending rank with 11 wins and we will start out in the top 25 for sure.
Agreed. People are giving the voters too much credit. They will look at the end of the year poll and adjust a little based on cosmic forces. I'd guess if we win the bowl, we'll be #15, lose and were #21.

This. The beating we took in the P12 title game let a lot of the momentum for something like that get away. The team will have to break into the Top25 again. We get in when weve had 3-4 years of being ranked.

Preseason rankings are **** anyways. Reporters just look at who has consistently been in it the last few years and then make a guess (Oregon anyone?).

And it's going to take a while to move up in the rankings. Our OOC games are embarassing....

CSU - Denver
Texas State - Boulder
Northern Colorado - Boulder.

We only get 4 home Pac games next year but they are two of the top tier opponents (AZ., Cal, USC, and UW)
Away: ASU, OSU, UCLA, WSU, and Utah.

It's a pretty favorable schedule as far as the Pac is concerned. If we can finally get over that SC hump and at least keep it close with UW, we could be looking at another 10 win season.

that CSU game is going to be rather important. We should worry about that one with an all new D.

Yep. Whether we start ranked or just outside, that CSU game determines whether CU will be ranked as we enter Pac-12 play. Because we're sure as **** not going to lose the other two non-conference games.

Agreed. People are giving the voters too much credit. They will look at the end of the year poll and adjust a little based on cosmic forces. I'd guess if we win the bowl, we'll be #15, lose and were #21.

This^^^^^^ The first ranking is just based on the prior year results. Since we haven't consistently been in prior years' ranking, we probably will be lowered somewhat. Will probably start in the 18-25 range, IMHO.

We might not be ranked. All pre-season discussion will be about how we "over achieved" and "Washington was an example of how we're not ready just yet." They'll also key on the large amount of key contributors we are losing. I imagine they may give us low 20's to be nice. But I wouldn't be surprised if they put us outside the top 25.

Back