What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just got done re-watching the game

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I had family commitments yesterday, so I only got to see the 1st half live. Then I watched the 2nd half last night. This morning I re-watched the whole thing.

First thing: it's really weird to watch the Buffs play football when I already know the final score and some of the plays that are going to happen. It was watching CU but without any emotion, so it was like watching a good college football game that I don't have a vested interest in and can just enjoy the football. Totally different and it also gave a different perspective.

My notes:

Oregon State played its "A Game". This was the OSU team we expected this season based on how those guys were playing at the end of last season. Coaches had a great plan, they stuck to their strengths and they executed as well as they possibly can. For example, some of those passes that were completed on Oliver were perfectly timed and absolute dimes by the QB. That's not something the Beavs have done all year but they were on it yesterday.

The defense, with Udoffia and Edwards out plus Tuiloma not 100% and limited (kudos to that dude for manning up and playing some), was so limited. They couldn't get stops on 3rd down. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a defense that incapable of stopping a team and getting off the field. But they didn't break. Giving up 5 scoring drives in the 1st half was bad, but making 4 of them FGs was huge. If only 1 of those FG drives had gotten to the end zone the Buffs would have lost. Guys like Lewis, Worthington, Fisher, Oliver and Jackson all stepped up and made plays when they were needed. McCartney moved the best he has all year and might be turning a corner (let's hope). One of the Achilles Heels, though, is that our NT and RDE are getting washed out of plays which is allowing huge running lanes - particularly on cut backs. The other Achilles Heel (yes, this defense took an arrow from vengeful gods in both feet) is that their tackling has gone to ****. Over-pursuit, failure to get off blocks and just plain missed tackles are an epidemic.

I believe that the defense can and will play better, but there's a lot to fix and in some cases the personnel is simply not there.

On offense I was very impressed with the way Lindgren planned and called this one. Stayed committed to the run and mixed in some creativity to keep OSU off balance. Lindsay is a beast. OL is improving every week. Bobo looked like an NFL WR. And Montez overcame some early struggles probably due to a defense designed to force methodical intermediate throws to the boundaries. So he had to go through progressions, which is not his strength yet. And there was probably some adjustment with throwing sideline routes when I don't think he's ever played on a field with such a large crown. Impressive that it was the 3rd straight game by the offense with no turnovers. Also impressive that the O finished every drive in the end zone. Those boys are growing up.

I have concerns about this team because I know there are holes. But I also like the fight in these guys and believe this is a team that can turn a corner and have a winning season. This was a very good win yesterday in tough circumstances (injuries on defense, conference road game, fired up opponent, reversing season momentum coming off 3 straight losses). It is hard to win and they found a way. Feeling so much better about this team and season today than I was before kickoff yesterday.

Last edited:
Were some of those dimes products of a weak pass rush? Seems like we got locked up every time. I can remember three or four throws that looked like NFL throws into perfect coverage.

I had family commitments yesterday, so I only got to see the 1st half live. Then I watched the 2nd half last night. This morning I re-watched the whole thing.

First thing: it's really weird to watch the Buffs play football when I already know the final score and some of the plays that are going to happen. It was watching CU but without any emotion, so it was like watching a good college football game that I don't have a vested interest in and can just enjoy the football. Totally different and it also gave a different perspective.

My notes:

Oregon State played its "A Game". This was the OSU team we expected this season based on how those guys were playing at the end of last season. Coaches had a great plan, they stuck to their strengths and they executed as well as they possibly can. For example, some of those passes that were completed on Oliver were perfectly timed and absolute dimes by the QB. That's not something the Beavs have done all year but they were on it yesterday.

The defense, with Udoffia and Edwards out plus Tuiloma not 100% and limited (kudos to that dude for manning up and playing some) was so limited. They couldn't get stops on 3rd down. In fact, I don't know that I've ever seen a defense that incapable of stopping a team and getting off the field. But they didn't break. Giving up 5 scoring drives in the 1st half was bad, but making 4 of them FGs was huge. If only 1 of those FG drives had gotten to the end zone the Buffs would have lost. Guys like Lewis, Worthington, Fisher, Oliver and Jackson all stepped up and made plays when they were needed. McCartney moved the best he has all year and might be turning a corner (let's hope). One of the Achilles Heels, though, is that our NT and RDE are getting washed out of plays which is allowing huge running lanes - particularly on cut backs. The other Achilles Heel (yes, this defense took an arrow from vengeful gods in both feet) is that their tackling has gone to ****. Over-pursuit, failure to get off blocks and just plain missed tackles are an epidemic.

I believe that the defense can and will play better, but there's a lot to fix and in some cases the personnel is simply not there.

On offense I was very impressed with the way Lindgren planned and called this one. Stayed committed to the run and mixed in some creativity to keep OSU off balance. Lindsay is a beast. OL is improving every week. Bobo looked like an NFL WR. And Montez overcame some early struggles probably due to a defense designed to force methodical intermediate throws to the boundaries. So he had to go through progressions, which is not his strength yet. And there was probably some adjustment with throwing sideline routes when I don't think he's ever played on a field with such a large crown. Impressive that it was the 3rd straight game by the offense with no turnovers. Also impressive that the O finished every drive in the end zone. Those boys are growing up.

I have concerns about this team because I know there are holes. But I also like the fight in these guys and believe this is a team that can turn a corner and have a winning season. This was a very good win yesterday in tough circumstances (injuries on defense, conference road game, fired up opponent, reversing season momentum coming off 3 straight losses). It is hard to win and they found a way. Feeling so much better about this team and season today than I was before kickoff yesterday.
If you didn't have a dog in this fight it was a fun game to watch. I've finally figured out how to watch the games, record for 30-40 minutes and zip through the commercials and replay certain plays, then re-watch the entire game later.

Respectfully, this team should be passed the point where any road game win is cause for celebration. I'm happy with a win, don't get me wrong but that was one of the worst teams in P5 football.

Reser Stadium is one of the softest road game atmospheres in college football - announced attendance was 33k, but there weren't that many people there and OSU lost their last 2 home games by a combined 69 points including to a bad Minnesota team. The Beavers are a 3 point home victory over the currently 0-8 Portland State away from being a 0 win team themselves.

There are some positives from that game, but all the spin in the world doesn't change the fact that this team looks pretty bad and getting to a bowl game will be very difficult.

Were some of those dimes products of a weak pass rush? Seems like we got locked up every time. I can remember three or four throws that looked like NFL throws into perfect coverage.
Yeah. It seems like the only guy who ever wins a 1-on-1 in pass rush is Lewis. We've got to bring 5 to have a hope of getting pressure, it seems. And that opens up so many holes in the coverage when they do that and the QB still has time to go through progressions, set his feet and have a clean throwing lane. One guy who started to flash in the pass rush yesterday and at least make the QB uncomfortable at times was Hasselbach. We desperately need someone to find a way to bring pressure, whether it's Hasselbach or someone else who steps up and fills this void.

I think this is a factor that is underestimated. I do think they were a better team than they played the first 6 games of the season. Anderson lost the team and they played their hearts out yesterday with him gone and off their backs. Not an excuse for all the Buffs defects, but a bigger factor than some realize.

Something that stood out to me was the number of passes Montez skipped, usually he strong arms if he misses. The issue of the crown was brought up but I had no idea it could make such a difference. If Yogi had said the "rock" one more time I'd have puked.

Something that stood out to me was the number of passes Montez skipped, usually he strong arms if he misses. The issue of the crown was brought up but I had no idea it could make such a difference. If Yogi had said the "rock" one more time I'd have puked.
Tom Brady had one of those games his rookie year and said in his post game presser he had never played on a crown before. It matters.

To complete the Brady story: next day at practice Belichick came up to him and said, “Since we’re not playing on a crown this week, can I count on you not to suck?”. Brady learned quickly how little anyone cared about excuses. :D

I thought Mac's comments about the OSU players was most commendable, being proud of them for coming to play when they could've tanked. OSU got flagged twice for holding but there was a ton of holding going on that wasn't called which I thought was a big part of why there wasn't more pressure on the QB. Laguda & Worthington have been neutered they're not playing as aggressively and hitting for fear of targeting or late hits...IMO

Any advanced stats to show opposing QB's generate lower completion percentages on sideline passes at Reser?

We had a huge crown on my high school field, but we were never allowed to practice on that field. We had to practice on the infield of the track adjacent, which had no crown at all.

It is ridiculous how bad a crown like that can make a QB look. Simple passes into the flat, if run to the boundary, can go 2 feet over a kid's head. College QBs should be able to adjust better through better preparation, but it still can **** with you.

None of which factors into why we couldn't stop Oregon State's offense yesterday.

We had a huge crown on my high school field, but we were never allowed to practice on that field. We had to practice on the infield of the track adjacent, which had no crown at all.

It is ridiculous how bad a crown like that can make a QB look. Simple passes into the flat, if run to the boundary, can go 2 feet over a kid's head. College QBs should be able to adjust better through better preparation, but it still can **** with you.

None of which factors into why we couldn't stop Oregon State's offense yesterday.
Yeah. Same with my experience - practiced on a flat, rock hard practice field, and played on the biggest crown I have seen to date, and the grass was lush and about 4 inches long. I remember how hard it was to run uphill through that thick grass to get to the QB in the middle from the outside.

As you mentioned, the crown may cause overthrows, and with so many skipped in, maybe he was overcompensating. Who knows. Hopefully he works on those and gets his confidence up.

How many more games on our schedule will be played on a field with a crown? I want to be prepared for a s**tty passing game those days.

Respectfully, this team should be passed the point where any road game win is cause for celebration. I'm happy with a win, don't get me wrong but that was one of the worst teams in P5 football.

Reser Stadium is one of the softest road game atmospheres in college football - announced attendance was 33k, but there weren't that many people there and OSU lost their last 2 home games by a combined 69 points including to a bad Minnesota team. The Beavers are a 3 point home victory over the currently 0-8 Portland State away from being a 0 win team themselves.

There are some positives from that game, but all the spin in the world doesn't change the fact that this team looks pretty bad and getting to a bowl game will be very difficult.

4 teams in the top 10 lost conference road games this weekend. Road wins in conference are never a gimme, high-ranked Michigan and Oklahoma barely squeaked out wins as well.

It'd be better if we'd stepped on the Beavs throats, but a win is a win, and a road win is never a guarantee.

4 teams in the top 10 lost conference road games this weekend. Road wins in conference are never a gimme, high-ranked Michigan and Oklahoma barely squeaked out wins as well.

It'd be better if we'd stepped on the Beavs throats, but a win is a win, and a road win is never a guarantee.
Those 4 teams in the top 10 didn't play Oregon State. Oregon State who we beat by 41 last year. Oregon State who has a single victory this year, a 3 point home win over an 0-8 FCS team. Oregon State whose HC literally quit on them this week because he no longer believes he could win there.

If there was ever a road conference gimme, that was it.

Those 4 teams in the top 10 didn't play Oregon State. Oregon State who we beat by 41 last year. Oregon State who has a single victory this year, a 3 point home win over an 0-8 FCS team. Oregon State whose HC literally quit on them this week because he no longer believes he could win there.

If there was ever a road conference gimme, that was it.
And we eeeekked it out. Way to go us! Bring on Bama'!

I appreciate the effort to put a positive spin on this abysmal game. The facts are that we sucked and got lucky to win. The coaching staff is going to look at this game and come away thinking that what they’re doing is working when it’s not. It’s not working. At all.

El oh el. This was the easiest game left on the schedule, even accounting for home field advantage. These vaunted Beavers at home this season have lost to Minnesota by 34, beat Portland State by 3 and lost to Washington by 35. They're a terrible team. The only world where this is a "very good win" is one where you have Mountain West-level expectations for this program, which is what you appear to have in year 5. Re-watch the game as many times as you want to find bits and pieces to fulfill your sunshine fantasies like you always do. The rest of us will be here in reality.

I appreciate the effort to put a positive spin on this abysmal game. The facts are that we sucked and got lucky to win. The coaching staff is going to look at this game and come away thinking that what they’re doing is working when it’s not. It’s not working. At all.
And we we were slightly unlucky to lose the previous 2 by a combined 7 points and lucky to win 4 games by a combined 23 points last year.

These things happen - especially on the road.

No one is trying to sell CU as world beaters right now - just trying to provide a dose of realism against those that somehow expected us to play like a Top 20 team this year. I never saw a single prediction at that level before the season started. We aren't that far off from the average expectation while battling some injuries at the positions of least depth.

Am I happy? **** no! Do I think the world of CU football is in armageddon right now? **** no!

And we we were slightly unlucky to lose the previous 2 by a combined 7 points and lucky to win 4 games by a combined 23 points last year.

These things happen - especially on the road.

No one is trying to sell CU as world beaters right now - just trying to provide a dose of realism against those that somehow expected us to play like a Top 20 team this year. I never saw a single prediction at that level before the season started. We aren't that far off from the average expectation while battling some injuries at the positions of least depth.

Am I happy? **** no! Do I think the world of CU football is in armageddon right now? **** no!

I get realism angle, but I think what is annoying most people is this team has not looked consistently good since the second half of the CSU game. The injuries are a convenient excuse for a team which just looks the definition of mediocre week in and week out. There are bright spots here and there, but we are seven games into the season and it just seems like an aimless season. That does not spell doom, but it needs to lead to some "tough" decisions at the end of the season. A 6-6 season is entirely possible and would hardly be a disaster, but it also would be a sizable step back from both last season and preseason expectations.

I get realism angle, but I think what is annoying most people is this team has not looked consistently good since the second half of the CSU game. The injuries are a convenient excuse for a team which just looks the definition of mediocre week in and week out. There are bright spots here and there, but we are seven games into the season and it just seems like an aimless season. That does not spell doom, but it needs to lead to some "tough" decisions at the end of the season. A 6-6 season is entirely possible and would hardly be a disaster, but it also would be a sizable step back from both last season and preseason expectations.
I hope we have a chance to see this team's A Game this season. There hasn't been one outing where all 3 phases were playing to their potential for 4 quarters along with minimal penalties. I'd love to know what this team is actually capable of doing.

I hope we have a chance to see this team's A Game this season. There hasn't been one outing where all 3 phases were playing to their potential for 4 quarters along with minimal penalties. I'd love to know what this team is actually capable of doing.
Both of these are very fair and I wouldn't disagree with either. Far from it - I agree.

I'm trying to provide a dose of realism (optimism?) after the bat **** crazy stuff posted over the past few weeks.

Back