What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Just got done re-watching the game

I don’t disagree, but when your base 3 or 4 man rush cant generate any pressure, and I mean ANY pressure, you have to resort to more exotic schemes. The Secondary last year was elite, but we had an athletic front 4 that could get after the QB.
The beauty of a 3-4 is that you can still be in a base coverage and general defense no matter who the 4th rusher might be. There is a lot of flexibility for confusing an OL and QB without blitzing (i.e., bringing 5 or more).

The beauty of a 3-4 is that you can still be in a base coverage and general defense no matter who the 4th rusher might be. There is a lot of flexibility for confusing an OL and QB without blitzing (i.e., bringing 5 or more).
Agree, but they haven’t shown to be able to get pressure with just 4 is my point. They have 10 sacks in 7 games.

Agree, but they haven’t shown to be able to get pressure with just 4 is my point. They have 10 sacks in 7 games.
I don't know the answer there. Lewis doesn't have a sack, but he's been our only guy who has been effective pressuring from the middle to disrupt timing. I think we need to keep that going. Beyond that, they've got to find someone who can turn the corner to get a sack.

I don't know the answer there. Lewis doesn't have a sack, but he's been our only guy who has been effective pressuring from the middle to disrupt timing. I think we need to keep that going. Beyond that, they've got to find someone who can turn the corner to get a sack.
I said it in another thread, but they need to pressure Falk up the middle. The edge rushing is great if you have an explosive guy that can get there quickly, but middle pressure is the absolute best way to throw any QB off his game, especially a pocket passer. I also want more Callier and Sparaco.

I said it in another thread, but they need to pressure Falk up the middle. The edge rushing is great if you have an explosive guy that can get there quickly, but middle pressure is the absolute best way to throw any QB off his game, especially a pocket passer. I also want more Callier and Sparaco.
Seen alot of qbs getting middle pressure lately, like it too.

Completely agree. Falk is a statue and you want to get him out of the pocket as much as possible. Cal did a great job of this last week. I would implement the exact same game plan. Although, Cal did get 7 turnovers, which obviously made the biggest difference.

Four very solid assessments, but the one thing I noticed after watching the game again is that the Defense has absolutely zero game control capabilities like last years defense did. Last years defense had so many options, so much flexibility, and so many play makers that other teams were always off balance. Our defense was on the attack and had the other team worried. This years defense is young, inexperienced, weak in some key spots (DL and ILB), and I feel a little over coached right now. I hate it when a defense also looks to the sidelines for a signal to change the defense you already called with 3 seconds before the offense is hiking the ball. They look like they are over thinking everything and not just flying to the ball. If I were the other team, (which OSU did very well except on 4-5 really good throws in front of Oliver), I would just run the receiver on Oliver up the field and take him out of the play. Then, I would find Drew Lewis and send someone, whether an extra lineman, TE, or RB out to engage him and he is now occupied. Now, you just run the play you want to run and the remaining 9 guys is not quite yet up to speed to stop you. The best example of over coaching is that they are getting worse each game because they are having film sessions and are now deep inside their heads. There is talent on this young defense in spots, just let them play with a couple of base defenses and make a few stops and let the offense run the show. I am actually already hyped about next year because maybe the offense, defense, and special teams will be on the same page.

Great assessment of what is going on but I'm trying to hold down all the kool-aide I drank this year, I'm not quite thirsty enough to start drinking next years!

Looking at photos of Reser, there appears to be a crown in the middle of the field, but nothing abnormal or worth commenting on. Yogi shouldn't be passing it off as an excuse.

There is no crown to the field at Reser Stadium.

Another instance of Yogi talking out of his ass.
I thought this was pretty provocative, so I poked around. TheGlove could be right.

-----------------
Mar 5, 2012
Makeover details for Reser Stadium and the Prothro practice field are close to being finalized.
Prothro will be leveled out as part of the project. There’s a crown in it now for drainage. It will be gated to help control access.
------------------

So the only reference I can find in a quick search is that link. But it only mentions the practice field being crowned and leveled out, not the stadium itself. So not really sure what the truth is

Crowns were a big deal back in the days of Astro-turf. With the improvements in drainage for both natural and artificial surfaces in the last 29 or so years, I think crowned fields have pretty much faded away.
CU had a crown until they changed back to turf.

Watched the football in 60 replay yesterday and Nick Fisher was the difference maker on the final drive.

He looked like he was playing in concrete earlier in the season

There's a crown. I sat in the third row behind the Buffs, and could barely see the beaver bench. Ok, it wasn't that bad, but it exists. Regardless, stupid excuse for poor play.

Edit: In reality, the crown was barely noticeable. Thirty-year ticket holder I sat next to pointed that out in his free historical narrative of the field - along with how they let the grass grow long and [gasp!] watered down the field to help them beat USC in OJ's final visit there.

Last edited:
Crowns were a big deal back in the days of Astro-turf. With the improvements in drainage for both natural and artificial surfaces in the last 29 or so years, I think crowned fields have pretty much faded away.
CU had a crown until they changed back to turf.
CU's crown was high enough to trip over. We practiced there a couple of times in high school to get used to turf. That crown killed our receivers.

Has Buffnik re-watched the Wazzu game yet? Looking forward to hearing how great the Buffs played against a tough road opponent that brought their A game. Will feel so much better after hearing his thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it was on when I got home yesterday. Thought about it but said to myself, hell no. I saw enough the first time.

For you and everyone else who couldn’t find a way to enjoy a win at OSU, I guess it sucks to be you.

I enjoyed it, now about that wazzu game...Had a brief but nice convo with lynott's dad. Too bad cu didn't bring their offense cause they had so much better field position most of the game.

The weather was nasty, and all I had to do was maintain my irish death buzz til the baileys hit the hot chocolate.

Back