What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

The only real question is does Sark keep Chev as OC?
He could if he’s willing to mentor him and be the real OC for a year or two. If he has someone he wants, then he hires him, makes Chev the AHC/AOC/RC/WR coach and they all work together. Could see that if he wanted Applewhite as OC. But he values recruiting and has to know you can’t ditch someone that is as good at that as Chev is along with how passionate Chev is for CU.

Will Chev be OC? No clue. Will Chev be retained with some sort of extra titles? I’d guess so.

Wouldn’t there be a lot of similarities between Calhoun, if he were hired, and Tad Boyle? Successful coaches at in state schools. Super stand up guys. Not the first choices of many Buff fans.

Wouldn’t there be a lot of similarities between Calhoun, if he were hired, and Tad Boyle? Successful coaches at in state schools. Super stand up guys. Not the first choices of many Buff fans.

There’s a fire Tad Boyle thread, this would not be a popular move.

Given the choice between Sark and Calhoun, my preference would be Sark. That said, I think Calhoun could do well here provided he is able to assemble a good staff.

in the wake of Mel Tucker, I have a hard time believing that RG would go to Sark with an offer he'd turn down unless SS is really looking for big BIG money. Sark has to know he's in a spot where someone that *hires him* is taking a chance.....that's what i'm telling myself.

i almost went blind with that Netbuffs screen shot. holy cow. i completely forgot....format is cutting-edge 1998 as ever.

He's talking about Spam right now.....
giphy.gif

There's a difference between having success at a service academy and P5 school. The big one is recruiting. Nothing about Calhoun suggests he'd be good at that or hire a staff that would. Calhoun would be an MM type hire.

So what's Vic saying on his a.m. show?

Basically saying he is not actively following the situation, but a reliable source called him and told him an offer is out for Calhoun and the job is his if he wants it. Saying Sarkisian is the backup plan if Calhoun doesn’t take it.
Also talking up Calhoun how he has been to a bowl in 10 of 13 seasons and beat CU and Wazzu this year.

Melvin wasn't just a flight risk-he sold RG a bill of goods he knew he couldn't back up. Prime example: If I had been RG and Mel had told me I want James Coley and Dan Lanning as my coordinators last year (more than one source has said he made offers to both and got turned down) with the assistant pool he was offered here and still fill eight other spots, I'd have moved on right then and there.
So you think RG shouldn’t have hired Mel last year (sure you do), but you trust him this year if he hires Calhoun? Good call.

The mental gymnastics you are doing to convince yourself Calhoun could be a good P5 recruiter is hysterical. He almost landed a kid from Erie who ultimately chose Dartmouth - just think what he could do in Boulder!!!

The only way I accept that Calhoun has been offered the job is if he blew away RG and LC with his vision/plan. If that is the case, he must have some cards up his sleeve regarding his staff...

The recruiting issue is a hard one for me. I just don't know how you really evaluate him. He has done well, I think, by AFA standards. How does he compare to the other 2 service academies? It is such a unique place to recruit to with restrictions that no one else has to contend with.

Back