1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiesau top candidate for Portland State job?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Jim Beseda of The Oregonian reports that athletic director Torre Chisolm began to make contact on Friday with some of the coaches on his list of candidates to succeed Jerry Glanville. Chisolm's list is believed to be made up of coaches with ties to either the school itself or to the state of Oregon.

Some of those names are said to be former Army coach Stan Brock, a Portland native; Nevada defensive coordinator Nigel Burton, a former PSU and Oregon State assistant; outgoing Western Kentucky quarterbacks coach Bob Cole, PSU's offensive coordinator in the mid-1990s; BYU defensive coordinator Jaime Hill, PSU's DC in the mid-'90s; Minnesota co-defensive coordinator Ronnie Lee, a PSU assistant in 1991; Cal Poly DC Greg Lupfer, a former PSU player and 12-year assistant; Montana WR coach Robin Pflugrad, who spent the previous three seasons at Oregon; and Willamette head coach Mark Speckman.

The two strongest candidates may be San Diego State OC Al Borges, who spent seven seasons with the Vikings before embarking on a career that has taken him to Boise State, Oregon, UCLA, Cal, Indiana and Auburn; and former PSU quarterback Eric Kiesau, offensive coordinator at Colorado. Borges is credited with turning Cade McNown into a first-round pick, and Kiesau could fast-track his coaching career by taking a head job with his alma mater at the age of 36.

ESPN Rumors

2. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

No, no, please don't start poaching our guys.

dang it.

3. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Kisseau would be a fool in this climate not to take that. Additionally he could probably take 5 or 6 guys off the staff with him if the rumors be true.

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Maybe Hawk can be his WR coach.

5. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I hope he gets the job. Whoever comes in here after Hawk is going to want his own guy calling the plays. I don't think Kiseau is going to be in Boulder next year regardess, so the impact on recruiting will be minimal. We can't expect any recruits from him at this point.

6. Buffnik

My understanding is that Hawkins doesn't like his coordinators to devote much time to recruiting. So, while Kiesau is still an effective recruiter, I don't believe he is impacting the 2010 class nearly as much as he did in years past.

7. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

Given the offensive production this year, I couldn't imagine a new hire would keep Kiesau, so he's gone either way. At least he would have a gig.

8. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Wait a minute - is this up on footballcoachscoop.com yet? If it isn't there's NO WAY this could be true! :thumbsup:

Can't say that I'd blame Kiesau though, it would defnitely be a great opportunity for him.

9. AlferdJasper

I'd never heard this. Thought they each had geographic and position responsibilities.

10. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Kiesau retention scenario: New coach comes in, says "Eric, I obviously want to bring my own guy in here calling plays but you're a great recruiter and we have a lot of good WRs on the roster. Would you mind going back to the role you had before this year?"

I'm really hoping for that, though taking a demotion or even staying on the new staff can't be that realistic. If it can't happen then good luck to the guy getting the PSU job.

11. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Thats strange, Hawk not wanting to use the most talented guys to do what they are most effective at, I have never heard of that from him before. Why does this not surprise me.:cry:

12. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Wow if that is the case, then it makes the horrible game-day preparation and play calling even more disheartening.

13. AlferdJasper

14. AlferdJasper

Found an article from 1996 on Kiesau as a Quarterback, for historical purposes.

Injuries.
    PORTLAND STATE QB KIESAU HAS OVERCOME ALL OBSTACLES.

In part:

15. Buffnik

I hope Kiesau gets the job. Who knows, it could put him on a path to be ready to come back as the CU head coach in about a decade.

16. AlferdJasper

I really like the guy, but if I were in his position, and they contacted me ...
    under the circumstances, how could he turn it down?

17. ScottyBuff

Here is a story done prior to Glanville retiring:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...sf/2009/11/its_time_for_vikings_football.html

Wow, looks like Portland State is in the same boat as CU, just on a different playing field.

The article says that Glanville made $180,000 per year. Kiesau made $217,776 this past year (not sure on bonuses); and was a fairly low paid offensive coordinator for a BCS team. Not sure if he could get more elsewhere, but if he could get a long-term contract from the Vikings, then it would be better for him since he has no security at CU.

18. AlferdJasper

So ... you're saying Glanville is available?

:smile2:

19. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

Why isn't Portland State interested in Hawk?:confused:

20. ScottyBuff

Because it sounds like Glanville was basically the same type of coach, and that is why the are making the change.