1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KU preview posted - "T.I.P.S." /Origins of "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk" / CU v. KU archives

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by MontanaBuff, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MontanaBuff

MontanaBuff Club Member Club Member

Greetings, Buff fans, from www.cuatthegame.com

Is this the week that the Buffs return to the win column? In reviewing this week’s “T.I.P.S.”, we’ll take a look at:

T - Talent. Did Matt Ballenger’s touchdown drive against Texas create a quarterback controversy?
    I - Intangibles. The Buff players felt that they gave away the game against last season. Will the memory of the 19-14 loss help or hinder the Buffs this Saturday?
    P - Preparation / Schedule. Colorado has played a tough first half schedule. For KU, there are four top ten teams in the last six games. Are the Buffs the Jayhawks’ last ‘gimme’?
    S - Stats. Good stuff. How is it possible that you could very well watch the first five minutes Saturday morning and then leave the television, knowing how the game will turn out?

Kansas trivia - Don’t be the last to know the origins of “Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk”. For that matter, what is a “Jayhawk”, anyway? Do you remember the last time the Jayhawks won a conference title in football?

Archive games - Here are some good names for you - Mississippi’s Peyton Manning (‘69); Notre Dame’s Joe Montana (‘75); Pittsburgh’s Dan Marino (‘75). The CU archive games? Buffs v. Kansas - an overtime thriller in 2003. Plus the 1992 CU/KU game - the last time the Buffs faced a ranked team in Lawrence.

Plus - you don't think I wouldn't have a comment about the Hawkins' contract extension?

http://www.cuatthegame.com

2. Buffman

Buffman Member

Re: KU preview posted - "T.I.P.S." /Origins of "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk" / CU v. KU arch

everyone knows that the state rock of Kansas is chalk.

3. RalphieMalph

RalphieMalph Well-Known Member

Re: KU preview posted - "T.I.P.S." /Origins of "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk" / CU v. KU arch

Good stuff as usual, but I think part of your trivia section is off. There may well be a mythical bird called a Jayhawk, but I'm pretty certain that the team name is a reference to the Jayhawkers, a civil war era military group from Kansas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayhawkers

4. MontanaBuff

Very true. Splitting hairs, but my source is the ESPN College Football Encyclopedia, which distinguishes between the origin of the nickname (from a Civil War regiment, with the "Rock, Chalk" added in 1886) and the mascot (from the mythical bird).

I appreciate the clarification!:thumbsup:

5. Saulbadguy

Saulbadguy Member

Think they won a conference co-championship in the 60's.

I'll also add that no one really knows the words to the fight song, at least no one sings them or anything like that.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. MontanaBuff

Bonus points to those who pointed out that it probably wasn't Peyton Manning starring for Ole Miss in 1969 (above), but daddy Archie.:sorry:

7. Kameltosis

Kameltosis Well-Known Member

The school is named after a mythical bird or something...it's on the pre game tid bits when you play NCAA 2009 on XBOX360.

BTW....anyone wanna play me :D

8. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Ouch. That end of season schedule is scary. But, when you get to dodge OU, TU and TTech in the same season on your way to the BCS..... what goes around comes around.

9. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I would mob you! Problem is I have it on PS3.

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

The term jayhawk originally came from Kansas based civil war troops that raided pro slave troops in Missouri. They were known as jayhawkers.