What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

Staub ran the basic RPO offense that Lewis installed, with only 1 read every time, except the 2-3 times he had to just find an open guy.
Was it effective, yes, because it was the way it was designed.
SS2 was not going to run the pure RPO offense in terms of the QB keep, and the 1 read design, for better or worse.
Staub should be proud of what he did and we should be proud of him
Is it odd and crazy that Lewis was hired to install an RPO offense that SS2 was not going to run
No matter what did or did not happen, Whitlock is trash and does not deserve to comment in the way he does about Prime, and I wish one of CP's bodyguards would help Whitlock figure out what happens when you "Fukk around and find out"
There still seems to be confusion about what the RPO offense is. The run option is not the QB run. Sometimes it is, but more often than not it's a hand off to the running back.

Alabama ran the RPO with Tua, and it definitely wasn't the QB run.

Good article. He’s even winning over the academia folks. “Phil we love football” The part about sitting down for 45 minutes to meet with a top academic professor they were trying to get them to come to Boulder is awesome.

haven't read the article, but headline and cover don't seem congruent with being the nation's most over-hated team
loved it. I have several immediate takeaways

• love, love, love hearing how Sanders helped recruit the chemistry professor. Ken had a great post yesterday on how the football team supported the larger mission of the University and this is an incredible example I hadn't heard previously
  • "call and response dialogue" was new to me. read the wiki page -- I'm not sure I fully appreciate the implications of this communication style, but it's helpful to have a term for it
  • prior to reading this piece, Allbuffs was the only place I had encountered the word 'superfan' and I always took it to be pejorative. It hit me in a strange way to see the term applied to Coppom
  • I'm a bit confused about the implied positive aspect of Sanders watching a lot sit-coms while growing up and would like more information on what benefits he took away from those. I watched those same sit coms as a child, and looking back, view that as mostly wasted time. Maybe I'm not appreciating the benefits, maybe I didn't watch the shows like Sanders did. 🤷‍♂️
  • "if you look good, you play good" seems like a tarnished phrase following this season. there was a lot of emphasis on positively marketing the team that did not result in quality football. I'd be interested in hearing his take on that now -- does he feel that the team didn't look good? is he questioning the truth of the statement?
  • TIL "God Squader" -- I think in my youth the term was "Bible Beater"
  • I'm all about his family-centricity, but the idea of his mother coming to work with him and watching soaps is different
  • hadn't heard there was a sit-com in the works about his life. not sure what to think of that, other than Kevin Hart is very funny
  • glad to hear credible national sports publications making statements like "Colorado is massively improved over 2022, when it was by far the worst Power 5 program"

Last edited:
loved it. I have several immediate takeaways

• love, love, love hearing how Sanders helped recruit the chemistry professor. Ken had a great post yesterday on how the football team supported the larger mission of the University and this is an incredible example I hadn't heard previously
  • "call and response dialogue" was new to me. read the wiki page -- I'm not sure I fully appreciate the implications of this communication style, but it's helpful to have a term for it
  • prior to reading this piece, Allbuffs was the only place I had encountered the word 'superfan' and I always took it to be pejorative. It hit me in a strange way to see the term applied to Coppom
  • I'm a bit confused about the implied positive aspect of Sanders watching a lot sit-coms while growing up and would like more information on what benefits he took away from those. I watched those same sit coms as a child, and looking back, view that as mostly wasted time. Maybe I'm not appreciating the benefits, maybe I didn't watch the shows like Sanders did. 🤷‍♂️
  • "if you look good, you play good" seems like a tarnished phrase following this season. there was a lot of emphasis on positively marketing the team that did not result in quality football. I'd be interested in hearing his take on that now -- does he feel that the team didn't look good? is he questioning the truth of the statement?
  • TIL "God Squader" -- I think in my youth the term was "Bible Beater"
  • I'm all about his family-centricity, but the idea of his mother coming to work with him and watching soaps is different
  • hadn't heard there was a sit-com in the works about his life. not sure what to think of that, other than Kevin Hart is very funny
  • glad to hear credible national sports publications making statements like "Colorado is massively improved over 2022, when it was by far the worst Power 5 program"
How to tell me you haven't seen "Swingers" without telling me you haven't seen Swingers.

i agree about whitlock sucking in general, and don't agree with him. but, per parts of the second tweet here, i saw different play calling for staub, even in the wazzu game. i absolutely don't think it was the OL playing harder (and hate the insinuations he's making), but i did see us having a coherent game plan including the quicker reads, aggressive power runs, and more direct play calls. i think that whitlock is implying some sort of BS social construct, which is junk. but i do see that in the first year of play at a higher level, both in terms of more even talent and more incisive coaching from the competition, relying on SS2 to be better than anyone else on the field worked great in the first few weeks then was found out as the opposition built tape and was able to counteract that all with scheme and matchup.

i do wonder if we had called an aggressive but concise game like staub got in the wazzu/utah games SS2 would have flashed bigger things. the pistol and straight ahead runs would have opened up his reads on 2nd down passes. he would have made every throw that staub made. (even in the first couple of series after SS2 left the wazzu game, both with staub and kuld, our play calls were different and we ran well against a defense that had to know we would favor the run over the pass.)

it all makes me think that having a more experienced, decisive OC (even one as boring as shumer) would have freed up SS2 more than letting his talent "lead" the offensive identity. even the throwback pass from jimmy doesnt seem like something we would have done early in the year.

i might be overthinking this and am probably misguided because i dont know what was going on behind the scenes. but it makes me higher on a full year of shurmer (oof) or (better) leftwich with his NFL pedigree than lewis or another OC up from a lower level of competition (b marion).
You're overthinking this. I've heard things that say Lewis had no say in that final game.

How to tell me you haven't seen "Swingers" without telling me you haven't seen Swingers.
I'll try: "I'm not telling you that I haven't seen 'Swingers'", but you wouldn't be wrong to make that assumption"

ok, I made best effort. Would you please explain the link between 'Swingers' and my post for my uncultured curiosity? A quick review of the wiki page didn't get me there.

Did something specific cause Whitlock to hate Prime so much? Other than the fact that he hates his own race?
$$$$$$

Coach Prime drives engagement whether people are praising him or attacking him which lines his pockets.

I don’t mind the criticism as a coach (though it is annoying that when the team is better next year, I guarantee you he won’t admit he was wrong) but attacking Shedeur’s character and Coach Prime as a parent is tasteless and going way too far in his quest for more cash.

I'm pretty "meh" on Prime so far. Great early performance, bad to terrible mid to late performance during the season.

That said, him being hated makes me like him more.

$$$$$$

Coach Prime drives engagement whether people are praising him or attacking him which lines his pockets.

I don’t mind the criticism as a coach (though it is annoying that when the team is better next year, I guarantee you he won’t admit he was wrong) but attacking Shedeur’s character and Coach Prime as a parent is tasteless and going way too far in his quest for more cash.
Very few irrelevant media folks have increased their visibility, interactions and probably wallet share from hating on CP more than Danny Kanell. That guy can't go a single day without ripping on CP

This is so easy to dispute. It's insane when you think about it but let the haters cook.
I'm just curious about DK's disdain for CP. Most people say it's because CP picked off DK in the league to basically end DK's career, but that feels really dumb and petty. I know Bucky took that shot at him and called him a Pure Hoe (which is kind of funny) after DK ripped CU fans for rushing the field after CSU, and maybe that set him off? I know he also took exception to CP saying he wasn't an alum of FSU or whatever. Regardless, he's been taking anything positive about CP and going out of his way more than any other CFB media personality to tear him down.

I'm just curious about DK's disdain for CP. Most people say it's because CP picked off DK in the league to basically end DK's career, but that feels really dumb and petty. I know Bucky took that shot at him and called him a Pure Hoe (which is kind of funny) after DK ripped CU fans for rushing the field after CSU, and maybe that set him off? I know he also took exception to CP saying he wasn't an alum of FSU or whatever. Regardless, he's been taking anything positive about CP and going out of his way more than any other CFB media personality to tear him down.
Dirt Work Grading GIF by JC Property Professionals

Also the most over-loved.

Lightning rod.
not being snarky here.

dwelling on the point you're making, if we weigh the feelings of Sanders-haters and Sanders-lovers by their relevance within the sports world, where does Allbuffs think the scale tilts?

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but giving it 10 minutes of brainstorming and searching, this is my first pass. It looks at first pass that the most relevant parties primarily fall under "love"

lovers:
  • Sports Illustrated
  • ESPN (esp Game Day)
  • Fox (esp Big Noon)
  • RG III
  • Amazon Prime
  • Mike Vick
  • Terrell Owens
  • LeBron James

haters:
  • Reddit users
  • Deadspin
  • The Athletic
  • Danny Kanell
  • Jason Whitlock
  • "Anonymous coach"
  • Christian Fauria

the un-asked, over-arching, question in my mind as I was dwelling here is "other than CU administration, does it matter who loves or hates him". I believe it does, as the more relevant sports media can strongly influence the messaging that recruits, potential coaching hires and other media receive.

Last edited:
not being snarky here.

dwelling on the point you're making, if we weigh the feelings of Sanders-haters and Sanders-lovers by their relevance within the sports world, where does Allbuffs think the scale tilts?

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but giving it 10 minutes of brainstorming and searching, this is my first pass. It looks at first pass that the most relevant parties primarily fall under "love"

lovers:
  • Sports Illustrated
  • ESPN (esp Game Day)
  • Fox (esp Big Noon)
  • RG III
  • Amazon Prime
  • Mike Vick
  • Terrell Owens
  • LeBron James

haters:
  • Reddit users
  • Deadspin
  • The Athletic
  • Danny Kanell
  • Jason Whitlock
  • "Anonymous coach"
  • Christian Fauria

the un-asked, over-arching, question in my mind as I was dwelling here is "other than CU administration, does it matter who loves or hates him". I believe it does, as the sports media can strongly influence the messaging that recruits, potential coaching hires and other media receive.
The way I see it, as I've talked about before, is that all of it drives attention and that's hugely positive, even when it's negative stories, as long as it's not a scandal.

It's like in pro sports coverage. Every time there's a way to include the Yankees, Lakers or Cowboys in a story then they will - even putting a tenuous connection with those teams into the headline instead of highlighting the main story. Because they get ratings and clicks.

Their fan followings are huge, but dwarfed by the number of fans of other teams that can't stand them and root for their failure while getting pissed off at their every success. That's the territory that Coach Prime has led CU into. A story on Prime CU draws more attention than a Notre Dame story these days.

Of course we have media folks lining up to build their careers as lovers, haters or insiders. Of course we have publishers and producers in their strategy meetings clamoring for more Prime CU content. This is the context of our current reality. Fun times.

Back