What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

Maryland is an incredible state, one of the best in the country without a doubt. It is America in miniature. You have the Appalachian Mountains to the west, beautiful rolling hills where many civil war battles were fought, wonderful rivers and streams for fly fishing, wide stretches of corn fields, the mighty Chesapeake Bay, marshes and wetlands on the Eastern Shore, and Atlantic Beaches. You have world class cities, and historic towns. No state has so much packed into such a tiny footprint.

Maryland is an incredible state, one of the best in the country without a doubt. It is America in miniature. You have the Appalachian Mountains to the west, beautiful rolling hills where many civil war battles were fought, wonderful rivers and streams for fly fishing, wide stretches of corn fields, the mighty Chesapeake Bay, marshes and wetlands on the Eastern Shore, and Atlantic Beaches. You have world class cities, and historic towns. No state has so much packed into such a tiny footprint.

Totally agree. I’ve spent quite a bit of time there and they are the rudest people in the country.
And they are excellent judges of character!

Totally agree. I’ve spent quite a bit of time there and they are the rudest people in the country.

It is like all of the racism of the South with none of the hospitality
Racism is everywhere, but I’ve never heard anyone single out Maryland as particularly racist except in parts of the Eastern Shore where I highly doubt you visited. In fact, Maryland‘s proximity to D.C.and the federal government means you have one of the most educated populations in the country and a very sizable group of upper middle class minorities. In fact, I find it’s one of the areas of the country where people of different racial backgrounds tend to mix socially with ease.

I like that flag.

Apropos of nothing, this is the flag of Maine:
View attachment 68491

Living here, I never see this flag anywhere. Anywhere. However, I do see this flag (or variations of this flag) absolutely everywhere:

View attachment 68492

That's the old Maine flag, and it's cool as ****. You can't drive a mile where I am without seeing it in front of multiple houses or businesses. It's very popular on sweatshirts and stickers and hats. They are actually going to vote on whether this should be reinstated as the flag next year. It's going to win in a landslide,

I know, cool story, right?

Last edited:
My new house here in Harpswell came with a 25 ft flagpole by the side of my house. I have no idea why they put it in, since it’s only partially visible from the ocean side, and the other side is ten acres of woods. Anyway, I’ve started a little collection of flags to fly. I’ve got a stars & stripes, the 1901 Maine Pine Tree, and of course a CU flag. My son wants a Jolly Roger next.
I'm not that far from you. We are in Searsmont.

Heading to NC for four months, but we are coming back to the same house up here in May for another six months.

I'm not that far from you. We are in Searsmont.

Heading to NC for four months, but we are coming back to the same house up here in May for another six months.
Yeah, that’s not too far away. Never been to Searsmont, but been nearby to Camden, which I’m sure you hear a lot. When my son is out of high school, I’ll do a month or two away in the winter too, although so far Harpswell hasn’t been very cold. That storm on Monday was a bear, though. I white knuckled watching all these huge trees sway outside.

1703374903101.gif

1703375677199.jpeg

Some of don't seem to be digging our test market of AllMarylandTourismAndRelocation. I guess we can nix that as a growth strategy.

My experience was Baltimore and I like a lot about that city. People who haven't spent time there only have the impression of it as crime-ridden, but it's actually a pretty fun city with a lot of very nice suburbs and a good downtown. Awesome food. One thing I thought was a little weird was how much it still has so many ethnic/religious quarters. Working with our company rep making sales calls, it would be a neighborhood where just about everyone was black, or Jewish, or Eastern Orthodox or whatever.
The checkerboard effect of Balto city is something else.

Worked on a project where one of the primary measures was abandonment (n abandoned homes / n homes) in each neighborhood. Within a 15 minutes of walking you can hit neighborhoods from 90% to <5% abandonment, and IIRC median home values from like $75K to $750K.

There are some really great, truly racially and economically diverse neighborhoods, and some not so much.

The crime ridden perception has a grain of truth to it; but I also think that's way blown out of proportion primarily because David Simon happens to be a great researcher and story teller (Homicide Life on the Streets, The Wire, and We Own This City) so the warts have really been given the spotlight. Plus having a prolific School of Public Health adds to documenting some of the nastiness, I think the same is a little bit true with Tulane and New Orleans.

Great museums, as you mentioned great food, it's not NYC or DC, but it punches well above it's weight at really accessible prices, some really nice city parks, and as Cree has pointed out the surrounding ecology is really diverse and nice.

A lot of Maryland haters. 😪
I like it.

I really, really, really hate the stupid flag and how much people love it. The Calverts can get ****ed, and the aggressive colors and patterns clash in the worst possible way.

That said, Colorado wins on almost every count. It took me a while to appreciate western Maryland / West Virginia etc. because while they are nice mountains, it just doesn't compare, kind of like enjoying a good burger when you really want a steak.

Lies No GIF

I don't have an opinion about Maryland the place, but when 100% of the drivers in cars with Maryland plates that I've witnessed are dog****, I do wonder...

I went to Christmas dinner at my wife’s cousin’s house last night. Her cousin’s husband busts out his sports card collection to show me his 3 Deion rookie cards. Very nice collection. Couple of Mickey Mantle cards. 56’ and 58’ maybe. Several Tom Brady rookies and many many others. Very nice collection. Kind of made me want to start collecting.

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpeg
    IMG_4457.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 31
I went to Christmas dinner at my wife’s cousin’s house last night. Her cousin’s husband busts out his sports card collection to show me his 3 Deion rookie cards. Very nice collection. Couple of Mickey Mantle cards. 56’ and 58’ maybe. Several Tom Brady rookies and many many others. Very nice collection. Kind of made me want to start collecting.
He should sell those

Shedeur Sanders will participate in spring ball at Colorado after back injury

"Oh yeah, most definitely. He will be," Sanders said. "He just needs some rest and to heal up a little bit because he took a tremendous beating. And that provoked some things in me to do some things differently because the beating that he took -- sometimes people forgot that I'm not only his coach, but that's my son -- so I understand that's not how this is supposed to go.

"We've played youth league, high school and at an HBCU and we've never been beaten up like this. So, something had to change in that aspect."
Thoughts on new O-line and receivers

"He's elated, but more so than anything, he's thinking football, he's thinking, 'OK, now we have more balance. Now we get to display a running game.' You got eight men in the box trying to stop the run. Now you got one-on-ones on the outside.”

"Not only did we upgrade the line, I don't know if you've seen the receivers. So these are starters that we're bringing in here. So everything has gone tremendously to another level. The defensive linemen, we put them out sporadically to keep people waiting. But we got the whole thing solved but maybe one defensive tackle.

"We've already got commitments from the others and so we're good now, we're on the linebackers and a couple more DBs and we can call it a day."

-ESPN

He should sell those
This.

They are an asset that is declining in value.

Almost anything people collect for nostalgic reasons has a value cycle that peaks a little after the people for whom the nostalgia is greatest reach the height of their wealth.

People a few years older value those things less, and the cycle continues until a generation ends up having to figure out what to do with all of great grandpa's worthless ________.

This.

They are an asset that is declining in value.

Almost anything people collect for nostalgic reasons has a value cycle that peaks a little after the people for whom the nostalgia is greatest reach the height of their wealth.

People a few years older value those things less, and the cycle continues until a generation ends up having to figure out what to do with all of great grandpa's worthless ________.
Exactly. I can't imagine, for example, that too many people will continue to give a flip about someone's prized George Brett, Don Mattingly and Wade Boggs rookie cards.

I assume it’s inferred by you all, but the value of these cards went to the moon during the plandemic, further proof that it is a good time to sell

Back