What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lammies can Fairchild (was: To add insult to CSU's injury...)

Is Fairchild really that bad? He seems like such a good fit in a lot of ways. Maybe with the new QB he can turn it around. Is there anyone desirable out there with good connections to the program? What do you think the short list looks like right now?

These are serious questions Csquared. I prefer CSU to be good.

Fairchild has been a complete disaster on the field. I think his recruiting has been an improvement over Sonny, but it just hasn't translated. Holding onto Larry Kerr as long as he did as the defensive coordinator is what finally did him in. I am honest when I say that I think Kerr may be one of the ten worst coordinators in all of FBS football.

No real great candidates with connections right now. I think most want an "out of the family" type hire. The program and the system are really stale which is why I would want someone like Dykes. Other than that, I have no real information on who CSU may be targeting.

Oddly enough, I have a pretty close connection to Barnett and I have heard he is interested in the gig. He is a solid coach, a good and decent man and I think it would be a good fit. However, a hire like that would go over like a lead balloon in Fort Collins. I wouldn't mind the move, but I just can't see it happening.

Maybe with Barnett and Sonny being best buds now (Altitude replays their memories of the cu/csu series often) the rammies will be open to Barnett. If he's the choice I bet Lubick comes out supporting him.

Maybe with Barnett and Sonny being best buds now (Altitude replays their memories of the cu/csu series often) the rammies will be open to Barnett. If he's the choice I bet Lubick comes out supporting him.

A hire like that would certainly make the RMS more interesting.

It would be sad to see him on the CSU sideline, but he would be a great hire for them.

I would hate to see him there (because I know he could make them better), but happy for him. That man has seriously gotten the shaft the past several years.

Oddly enough, I have a pretty close connection to Barnett and I have heard he is interested in the gig. He is a solid coach, a good and decent man and I think it would be a good fit. However, a hire like that would go over like a lead balloon in Fort Collins. I wouldn't mind the move, but I just can't see it happening.
The good news would be that Ft Fun has experience with balloons...
g-cvr-091015-ballooon-1245p.grid-6x2.jpg

I think that Barnett would do really well at CSU though.

Hey Mtn, lil brother had their miracle worker. The miracle went poof, like an evil magicians trick.

That was as good as its evar gonna get for the ewes. Enjoy your memories, sheepsters. It's all you got, now.....and.....forever.

That was one of my points when all this came up first time around, even in their "glory days" when they were ranked they never averaged 30k home attendance, this with ticket prices about 1/2 of those in Boulder.

Even at that point their talent came from a degree of smoke and mirrors. They were getting players who had zero other D1 offers who turned into NFL players, you can't build a program on those.

Actually, Barnett would be a great hire for them, assuming he's interested.

Especially since his teams are notoriously slow starters in the early season. Hence his losses to Fresno and CSU. So he will pretty much get stomped by CU every year.

I would hate to see GB on the Rammie sideline. It would be an intolerable step down for him and would just be plain weird. OTOH, watching all sixteen of the Ram fans have to do an about face on how (allegedly) bad of a person he was/is would be hilarious. My bet is it does not happen. GB has been there, done that, got the T-shirt, why beat your head against the wall in Fart Collins?

CSU is a dead end for coaches, little support, recruiting wasteland, no publicity. Unless a coach is a miracle worker it is going to be the end of his career, if he is a miracle worker he is going to be gone quickly to someone who can pay him.

The only hope they have is someone who is at the end of the career and for whom they will be the last stop, one way or another.

Even if they found another Sonny it would end the same way, a return to less than mediocracy.

I would actually give D II a 20% shot of being the next goat leader...he is getting absolutely not one sniff from any of the open jobs. He lobbied hard for the Texas St. job last year to no avail. He will have to start back somewhere...might as well be at the bottom. Hello CSewe...

I would actually give D II a 20% shot of being the next goat leader...he is getting absolutely not one sniff from any of the open jobs. He lobbied hard for the Texas St. job last year to no avail. He will have to start back somewhere...might as well be at the bottom. Hello CSewe...

DII Dan will not even get a look at CSU. That much I can tell you.

Some of the more realistic names that have been thrown around recently:

Sonny Dykes - LA Tech
Hugh Freeze - Arkansas State
Dave Doeren - Northern Illinois
Crag Bohl - North Dakota State
Rob Ash - Montana State
John Wristen - CSU-Pueblo

Sonny Dykes - LA Tech
Rob Ash - Montana State

The top 3 are arguably lateral moves

Craig Bohl. I remember him from his days at Nebraska. He was quite possibly the worst defensive coordinator in the history of mankind. I guess he's doing OK in Fargo, though.

Craig Bohl. I remember him from his days at Nebraska. He was quite possibly the worst defensive coordinator in the history of mankind. I guess he's doing OK in Fargo, though.

I think Larry Kerr could give him a run for his money.

Sonny Dykes - LA Tech
Rob Ash - Montana State

Yes, yes, please hire that man!!!:thumbsup:

[video=youtube;OpwWcwc3oLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwWcwc3oLA[/video]

Sonny Dykes - LA Tech
Rob Ash - Montana State
Sorry, but the first three will not be in Ft. Fun...except on an opponents' sideline. They are all getting looks from BCS AQ schools now....I could see any of the last three being reasonable picks.

Candidates that have connections to the CSU program:

Tony Alford - Notre Dame wide recievers coach/recruiting coordinator
Bill Gonzalez - LSU wide recievers coach

Finally a few former coaches I have seen tossed around as well, but have no idea if they would be considered:

Sonny Lubick
Gary Barnett
Mike Haywood
Jeff Jagodzinski

Last edited:
Candidates that have connections to the CSU program:

Tony Alford - Notre Dame wide recievers coach/recruiting coordinator
Bill Gonzalez - LSU wide recievers coach

Probably much more likely than a current head coach someplace.

More likely than these guys would be someone who has been a coordinator at a major school and is stuck because of age. That is how the found Sonny (and CU found Mac.)

Sorry, but the first three will not be in Ft. Fun...except on an opponents' sideline. They are all getting looks from BCS AQ schools now....I could see any of the last three being reasonable picks.

Dykes to me would be the best case scenerio. He doesn't get paid very much at LA Tech and I think it would worth a shot.

Back