What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lappe has 3 years left on her contract what is Rick George going to do?

I've never even heard of a power 5 basketball Head Coach that had the recruiting problems Lappe struggles with, or combined with the defection issues that plague and will plague the program this offseason. Its just strange for a coach on the verge of being imminently fired to not be able to recruit anyone for all the scholarships available, at a Pac-12 program and prestigious academic university.

Found this on the internet and found it deliciously funny considering how sad a state the program is in:

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=389817

In conversation about Jim Foster being fired at Big Ten, Ohio State program the following things were said about Lappe:

3/20/13 "If I were the AD, I would at least look at Linda Lappe. I've been impressed with what she's accomplished in a pretty short period of time at CU."
"I don't think head coaches leave Louisville, Cal, Kentucky, or Colorado for Ohio State."
"I would agree normally but OSU will be throwing texas sized money at a new coach."
"Wrong. CU is Linda's dream job, and not that far into the future she will be a legend…You may quote me on that."

If you read the thread there is an otherwise intelligent discussion about Linda's contract & buyout and how much money Ohio State would have to throw at her to get her to take the Buckeyes job. I actually find it difficult to read the thread. The last post was made the day before the Buffs lost on their home floor at CEC to Kansas in the NCAA tournament. I find it hard to even imagine a time when Lappe had such a positive national reputation that Oklahoma and Big-12/Pac-12 fans were debating whether she'd jump to a bigger/better position. At that point in time that roster was mostly KMM's recruits and key players that had been recruited under Linda she was actually constantly playing head games with: namely Reese & Swan. I'll always remember that NCAA round 1 tournament loss to Kansas for one reason, Brittney Wilson was just feeling it that night, but Lappe had Kresl, B & A Wilson playing such an aggressive style of defense that they had 9 fouls between them in the game. BWil couldn't stay on the floor on a night that the Jayhawks couldn't stop her and her three was falling.

I guess that's the saddest thing for me. Over the years I've seen Lappe just waste players trying to force an overly aggressive defensive mindset. Forcing Swan to constantly try to take charges with her bad back, constantly putting her in foul jeopardy and at risk or having a chronic back ailment every time she hits the floor? It just never made sense to me. The payoff on those calls is so iffy. Swan never was a foul prone player, even as aggressive as she was on blocked shots, if you take those ridiculous attempts to get the charge call out. I used to find it distasteful that Linda Lappe would throw Swan under the bus for picking up quick fouls doing exactly what Linda directed her to do. Good coaches put players in positions where they can succeed, not in positions where they can't possibly get consistent positive outcomes.

The idea that Linda Lappe is going to be a Women's coaching legend is almost painful at this point. This is a coach that has fostered, as near as I can tell, an absolutely caustic and toxic environment on this team. Players are taking the high road, but my sense is they loathe the negativity that Linda has brought to the program. Now don't get me wrong, many very successful women's coaches are absolute authoritarians and downright tyrants, but I've found in coaching up girls and women that you have to build up much more than tear down, as is coming in men's coaching circles. It is just so easy to shatter a young woman's confidence to the point that you break the player.

Don't ever forget what Chucky said the night of her Senior night. She made a point about Jen Reese having been the Gatorade player of the year, and how obvious it was finally to see why. People forget the absolute insanity that Lappe used to engage in messing with Reese and Swan's heads. Yanking them into and out of the rotation. Someone I used to sit next to truly believed it was just random, based on nothing happening on the floor. That she had no feel for managing the game or the players.

Someone on a different forum used to accuse Linda of "faking" coaching. I thought that on its face was absurd. A coach may not be a good coach, but I didn't know what they actually meant by faking it out there. I think Linda Lappe was a nice enough person, probably. I think years from now she's going to regret the person she became and how she treated her players during her short time at CU as the Women's basketball coach. I don't think she ever had the requisite skills or experience for this role, and still can't comprehend why Ceal gave her the job in the first place. However, I think many coaches handle pressure with grace. Many coaches have incredibly warm & close relationships with their former coaches. I'm not sure when Linda Lappe leaves CU that the scorched earth will heal enough to ever offer a warm homecoming to the players that played here under her. Amazing young women like Hargis, the Malcolm-Pecks, Reese, Swan, Atcheley & Roberson had varying degrees of talent, but they all were people with feelings, and were trying their hardest to give their best for the team. At some point, and I don't know when exactly that happened, the coach seemed to start putting herself before the team concept, putting her personal goals and trying to desperately hold onto her job at all costs.

As a fan, it was very quiet, but if you carefully followed social media over the last several years, you could see from the parents of players on social media, and from conversations with program insiders and scholarship sponsors (if you knew who they were) and they trusted you, that something had gone wrong in this program. I saw multiple efforts of parents to reach out to Lappe to let her know, without attacking, that what she was doing was destructive and damaging to these young amateur-athletes. Something happened and the young Linda Lappe that we knew in this program became a very harsh, cold, vindictive and vile construct of her former self. It was an ugly transformation, and I don't think most fans actually have a sense of what these young women went through these past several years.

As Jamie Swan's Mom once tweeted:

The ugliest thing in the once proud CU Buffs Women's basketball program isn't the play on the floor, or the lack of any coherent plan or scheme to things. The ugliest part of this journey to program irrelevance has been the negative, caustic, and toxic culture that has been allowed to perpetuate within the Women's basketball program. I can't imagine having to try to endure everything these player's have endured just to hold onto my basketball scholarship to complete my education and play out my eligibility. No principal of any program has the right to make so many young people so abjectly miserable, just trying to desperately hold onto a job that she was never remotely experienced enough, qualified or capable of managing in the first place. This women's program used to be like a family. Now it feels like a family that suffered through an alcoholic or an abusive parent.

Someday Lappe will be fired. However, it will be too little too late for what many young women experienced in this program under her toxic environment. I'm not sure how the CU Buffs community and athletic family make that right, or we ever can. I also question why Ceal allowed that caustic environment to perpetuate, and continue.

The "Legend" of Linda Lappe is not a story written with a happy ending. Its the tale of a aspiring young coach that didn't have the experience, acumen, or recruiting presence to ever be successful in that role, long term. However, she could have taught many of these young women important life lessons about perseverance, dedication, and character lessons about how one conducts oneself when facing adversity. If there ever has been an example of what negative leadership is/was within this CU Buffs program I think we've seen that with Linda. The problem is that even when Linda finally is terminated and leaves, that certain young players on this team have been empowered by the wrong lessons and example Lappe has led. Negative culture will permeate within this program, that is Lappe's legacy, long after she's gone. That will be the Lappe Legend.

Seems a little dramatic and overstated. There is nothing immoral or unethical here. At worst a coach in over her head and placed in a position she wasn't ready for. There is no need to vilify LL or CB. Good people with good intent that are not successful in their current positions.

If I could photoshop...

20160303_114340_P12%20Colorado%20Washingt_Howe.jpg

Done. 20160303_114340_P12 Colorado Washingt_Howe.jpg

Yes, Lappe coaches very much like she was coached. However, times have changed and that style of coaching doesn't cut it any more. Ceal did place Lappe in this job before she was ready, long before she was ready.

I was told that at Senior Night Swan did not thank the coaches. She thanked everybody else, down to the band, the people who worked at Coors, etc.

I looked at last night's stats because I didn't remember Beard-Fails doing much of anything. She played 2 minutes. Huggins can't even shoot 3's at this point. Don't know if she is injured or not.

I think the tweet for Jamee's mother tells the story of Lappe's CU career and I so hope Rick George does the right thing.

Wisconsin fired their coach today after 5 seasons. Have no idea of a buyout, etc.

Last edited:
I haven't read Kate Fagan's book but I wonder if some of the things she has to say about the culture of the program under Ceal will sound very familiar after reading these anecdotes from people here sharing more information than I was aware of.

Pretty thorough piece from Howell on the decision about whether or not CU should retain Lappe.

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...howell-column-big-decision-looms-direction-cu

"It can't be ignored, however, that Lappe's early teams were led primarily by players recruited by her predecessor, Kathy McConnell-Miller. The best of those players, two-time first-team All-Pac-12 selection Chucky Jeffery, graduated in 2013.

Since that 9-0 start in 2013-14, the Buffs are 32-55, including 14-40 in the Pac-12. Playing exclusively with her own recruits the last two seasons, Lappe is 22-40 overall and 8-28 in the Pac-12."

"Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college program, but CU simply hasn't measured up to its Pac-12 foes.

To this point, Lappe has had 18 of her recruits suit up for the Buffs, and not one has earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors, despite that list featuring a whopping 15 players each year.

Lappe's most decorated recruit — 2013 Pac-12 freshman of the year Arielle Roberson — didn't want to finish her career in Boulder. Roberson transferred to West Virginia this season, and earlier this week earned All-Big 12 honorable mention.

In-state recruiting has been nearly nonexistent under Lappe. Of the 22 players she has signed, only one — current junior Lauren Huggins — came from a Colorado high school. According to chsaanow.com, 41 in-state players have signed with Division I schools the past three years, none of them with CU."

If you own a Kindle, read Kate's book. It's very telling of what it was like for her to play under Coach Barry. Every player's experience and outlook is different.

I do think it says something that Kate has never attended an Alumni Weekend.

Recruiting Colorado and California has to be the priority of doesn't it?
What are CU's recruiting connections with the local schools? When ceal was the head coach did they have better results because it doesn't seem like there has been an elite player stay in state in a while but I don't pay much attention. What I am trying to say is if a new coach is brought in will it help with in state recruiting or is ceal still hurting that with her presence?

I went to high school at highlands ranch and they win the championship consistently but I never heard any of their players consider Colorado which is disappointing. There are a couple dominant girls basketball programs that need to become a focus like ranch, thunder ridge and Regis.

The more I read the more I am persuaded that LL does not deserve another year to see if she can right the ship. The new coach, then, needs to have a couple of qualities. One is a proven rapport with the local AAU coaches wherever he or she is currently coaching. That is a must in Colorado and if we are ever swinging 0/41 in an in-state recruiting stretch that is shameful. The other would have to do with leadership style being a 180 of what is being reported by fans and family close to the players. RG has a plan for excellence for all sports and women's BB is getting Lappe-d in the race for a conference championship.

What are CU's recruiting connections with the local schools? When ceal was the head coach did they have better results because it doesn't seem like there has been an elite player stay in state in a while but I don't pay much attention. What I am trying to say is if a new coach is brought in will it help with in state recruiting or is ceal still hurting that with her presence?

I went to high school at highlands ranch and they win the championship consistently but I never heard any of their players consider Colorado which is disappointing. There are a couple dominant girls basketball programs that need to become a focus like ranch, thunder ridge and Regis.

The last elite recruit CU got was in 2003. It was Emily Waner from Thunder Ridge. She played one season for CU, 2003-2004. She was named the Rookie of the Year at the banquet. Emily's transfer to Duke, where her sister Abby played, was announced shortly after the banquet. Coach Barry retired after the 2004-2005 season. I don't know what all led to Coach Barry's decision, but I do know the loss of Emily was a part of her decision. She had not been able to get Colorado players and she finally got one and then she transferred.

IMO, Coach Barry may be hurting the program because of her influence over Lappe.

The more I read the more I am persuaded that LL does not deserve another year to see if she can right the ship. The new coach, then, needs to have a couple of qualities. One is a proven rapport with the local AAU coaches wherever he or she is currently coaching. That is a must in Colorado and if we are ever swinging 0/41 in an in-state recruiting stretch that is shameful. The other would have to do with leadership style being a 180 of what is being reported by fans and family close to the players. RG has a plan for excellence for all sports and women's BB is getting Lappe-d in the race for a conference championship.

Agree with the must have qualities you lay out. Kennedy Leonard's father has at times lashed out on Twitter, but then has deleted his tweets. That is why I think we are in danger of losing her if Lappe stays.

Agree with the must have qualities you lay out. Kennedy Leonard's father has at times lashed out on Twitter, but then has deleted his tweets. That is why I think we are in danger of losing her if Lappe stays.
Kennedys dad has never lashed out at the program or Lappe on Twitter (if you have any post them, I couldn't find any). He has responded to his daughter being attacked by an anonymous Twitter poster. I believe you are confusing another players dad with him.

Last edited:
I don't save tweets and I don't know how to embed them. Sorry if I am confused about which player's dad has been tweeting about the program.

I believe you are referring to The Egg attacking Kennedy. Before I blocked The Egg, I saw the attacks and they are totally unwarranted.

Some of you do not know me, but I want to make it very clear that I love the women's basketball program. I've been a fan since for 40 years and continue to be a fan. I just want CU and Rick George to do right by the players. They deserve a better coach who can help them become a competitive team. That is all I want for the program and the players should get this. If not, I'd be the first to encourage the freshmen to take their talents elsewhere.

I'd be very concerned if we don't make this move and use finances as the justification. It would take 900k ish to dump the WBB staff? Scary if football struggles next year.

I'd be very concerned if we don't make this move and use finances as the justification. It would take 900k ish to dump the WBB staff? Scary if football struggles next year.
$900k is a lot when the program is a money loser, even if it was a winner. It's just a question of how much, but making back that $900k is tough.
Football is a different deal. Millions of dollars at stake.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ceal might be gone, but that Linda isn't going anywhere. I can think of two firings so far, one in the Pac-12, Arizona, and one in the Big-10, Wisconsin. Both were absolutely solid coaches with strong experience playing for legit women's powerhouse programs & legendary coaches at Tennessee & Stanford. The key thing is that both coaches were very qualified and couldn't get it done, but more telling is that both coaches were in the last year of their contracts.

Doesn't RG talk about wanting to run the AD like a business all the time? Phil DeStefano isn't allowing the AD to borrow money from the CU-Boulder campus any longer. The department has already committed itself to balanced financials. I think RG might fire Ceal Barry. I think Linda was her hire, as was KMM. Neither worked out and the program is just a shell of what it once was. That's on Ceal at this point. The fact that RG can't actually afford to fire Linda is also on Ceal. It was Ceal's decision to give Linda extensions. I think that seals Ceal's fate. I think Ceal made very poor choices to extend Linda multiple times with so many years left on her contract. I don't know the AD climate or how likely it was that another school was going to poach Linda, but really what is the justification for the fact that Linda's contract still runs for three more years. That's just almost incomprehensible considering where we are.

I think RG has to fire Ceal for putting CU into this mess in the first place, and then creating a second mess preventing CU from being able to get out of it after six years of Linda. Say what you want about the programs at Arizona or Wisconsin, but Barry Alvarez said some very nice things about Bobbie Kelsey. He truly thought she was the right person to lead UW-Madison to where they needed to go. What Alvarez didn't do was keep doubling down on his decision when it wasn't working out. To be clear, I'm not sure Ceal needs to be fired because Linda wasn't successful, but I am sure that Ceal needs to be fired for putting CU into a mess where Linda is still under contract. Linda's existing contract was always enough, there was never really a need to extend it.

2010-11, the 18-16 record & WNIT Quarterfinals looks good, but only 6-10 in Big-12
2011-12, the 21-14 record & WNIT Semifinals looks great, but only 6-12 in Pac-12
2012-13, the 25-7 record looks good,but 1st round NCAA loss on home CEC floor, 13-15 in Pac-12
2013-14, the 19-15 record & WNIT Quarterfinals looks good, but only 6-12 in Pac-12
2014-2015, 15-17 record, 6-12 in Pac-12 and first year not extended
2015-2016, 7-23 record, 2-16 in Pac-12 and second year not extended

Looking back, I think we can all see Linda never had it. She clearly hasn't recruited, and her best player Arielle Roberson was already initially recruited by Kathy McConnell-Miller prior to Linda even being hired, and Roberson's brother played at CU already as well. Arielle signed under Linda. As for the WNIT, I think especially after seeing what UCLA did last year winning the WNIT it should be pretty clear that a Pac-12 team should be contending for the WNIT championship if in that tourney. Really, I don't see the need to extend an already long contract, and one of only six the University is allowed to hand out, every year for the first four years. The horrible way the '13-'14 season ended with losses in almost every conference game, makes me scratch my head as to why Ceal extended Linda. There has been a lot of talk about that lately, for good reason. Even if Ceal doesn't foolishly extend Linda after losing what I think was 12 of the final 18 games that season, including the Pac-12 tournament, the problem remains that Linda would still be under contract through the 2018 season. I think that right there is the difference between Colorado and other struggling programs. The decision to extend a coach that essentially lost two-thirds of her conference games every single season is just unjustifiable. What was the risk? Who really believes that Lappe was going to run off to a bigger & better job? CU was her dream job. I think Linda deserved one single 1-yr extension when CU got to the tournament and won more conference games than she lost in 2012-13. That would leave Linda's contract up…right now at the end of the 2016 season. This contract & extension mess I think leaves us stuck with Linda, but I think RG has no choice but to fire Ceal for creating this disaster. It would be a financial nightmare for CU to fire Linda with three full seasons left on her contract.

Reactions: aik
The University of Colorado Women's basketball program used to have around 2,000 season ticket holders before it fell to 300 under KMM. Anyone have a sense of how many of us there are now?

Interesting if anyone remembers Linda's initial introductory presser it should have been clear then that she'd have trouble managing the distractions to focus on the game on the floor and the recruiting. Anyone that was at Mike Bohn's press conference to introduce Linda will remember her stumbling and unable to get through her speech because the streamers were distracting her, it was a portent of things to come that she said, "As a coach you have to get through distractions" but she actually couldn't block out the streamers that were distracting her, and had to stop to get help before finishing her speech:

http://www.coloradodaily.com/cu-boulder/ci_14868145?source=rss

The other thing that I notice right away when watching that video is how much Linda has changed. In watching that Linda you can see there is still joyinside of her, a lightness, that fun spirit that we remember from her as a player. It stands in stark contrast to the Linda that I think we all have come to know as a coach, and that the player's experience now. Linda says one thing in that short video that I found hard to listen to. She makes a point about being committed to the student, helping young women grow as people, and as athletes. I think anyone close to the program realizes this part of her vision got lost somewhere along the way. Linda talks at the end of the that video about getting the CU job before she actually envisioned getting it, that the timeline wasn't what she expected. She mentions being young and making mistakes, acknowledging those mistakes and surrounding herself with great staff members that help her grow. That was a great narrative, but that is not the Linda she evolved into. There have been too many incredible assistant coaches and staff members that Linda has pushed out of this program, and sadly many of them had a much higher basketball IQ than Linda. Great coaches surround themselves with great basketball minds. It isn't a coincidence that Gregg Popovich hired Becky Hammon. Linda has pushed away, fired, or severed relationships with most of the staff members that have ever worked for her. When I think about LaTonya Watson I think about a coach that was a living historian of the legacy and tradition of CU Buffs Women's basketball having coached at CU for Ceal from 1996-2005 & again from 2011-2014 for Linda. She was a valued assistant at American & then Bucknell before becoming Head Coach at Div-II Univ of New Haven. Jennie Baranczyk left to become the Head Coach at Drake. Jenni Benningfield seemed like she had the perfect CV for coaching with the operations background, experience as a world class player (WNBA) and graduate education in Sports Psychology & Counseling. She was poised to understand what makes athletes tick and how to motivate them extrinsically & intrinsically, while Linda just seems to rely on fear & intimidation from the rumors. Jonas Chatterton has been a huge part of what Scott Rueck has done to build up the Oregon State program and the Buffs program is poorer that he's gone. Johnna would have provided long term gains recruiting elite players in Texas from her connections there. Kennedy Leonard was identified from that network. I guess I'm asking why Linda can't seem to hold onto assistants. Clearly assistant's want to move on to be Head Coach's themselves, but there has to be stories untold in why Pointer left to go back to the job she left to take the CU job for. Jonas left one Pac-12 program for another? LaTonya left and moved to less prestigious positions before becoming a Head Coach. Jenni I don't know the circumstances of why she left, but all of these kind of add up to something being wrong in the Culture under Linda.

I can see from the video, after watching it from afar these years later, why Ceal was attracted to Linda as a Head Coach candidate. However, I think its sad that Linda has become someone almost unrecognizable as compared to that person being introduced at the next coach of the University of Colorado Women's basketball team. Somewhere along the way, Linda forgot how young she was, her promises of surrounding herself with great assistants, and decided she already knew everything. Leading a program isn't about authority, its not about being in charge, its about making decisions to motivate and get the best out of your players. Its about pulling on the rope toward one common dream, not bullying players trying to extract financial reward at their expense. I think there is going to be a lost generation of Buffs players that played under Linda. I'm not sure many of them are going to want to stay close to the program through the coming years. I think many had very negative experiences both on and off the court playing for Linda.

Linda has had the players. Any coach that can't win with Chucky, Roberson, Swan and Reese on the roster can't win. Half the teams in the NCAA tournament won't have that much talent on them. Linda has never been able to recruit the Colorado player. If I'm RG I'm finding out from Kylee Shook's coach why she never even considered playing for CU in the Pac-12. When one of the best post players to ever come out of a CO high school program doesn't even consider CU, the wrong person is a stakeholder with the Buffs. Maybe that's the answer. Jeff Walz at Louisville was able to recruit Shook, but he's never been a conference regular season champion at Louisville while in the Big East, American, or the ACC. Jeff Walz has a rolling 5-yr contract that get renewed every season. He's been the national tournament runner-up. Why the heck did Linda have the same renewing contract? No other AD in the country would have allowed themselves to be painted into a corner by such a poorly performing coach. Wins, Championships, sustained success these are the things that earn a coach long term security.

Linda seems to just be following the Ceal playbook. People forget that Ceal didn't even win 60% of her conference games at CU. She padded the Ws with non-conference opponents the Buffs could beat. That exact approach fooled Ceal into this mess, extending Linda, and fooled all of us. Linda has been fool's gold, for the black & gold.

I miss this program. I miss feeling good about this program, knowing amazing young women were building incredible memories playing here. I miss the positive atmosphere and the family feeling within the program. I think its just unfathomable how Ceal had to ask the entire AD to trim 10% from their budgets. Tad Boyle is running a competitive program, and I don't think he appreciated that very much. Although, he mentioned it was just a short term thing. What caused the previous cuts was CU paying off coach/staff salaries that didn't work out. So here we are again. MacIntyre gets $2 Million and is under contract though 2018. He might be fired after next season. Just much much money does CU want to be paying off in bad contracts? What ever happened to letting coaches earn an extension? What, after all, is the crisis if some other school had been silly enough to chase MacIntyre or Linda stealing them away from CU? Where is the risk in that? The AD has been cash strapped for several years, and quite frankly the blame rests on Bohn and Ceal. So if the University can't fire Linda, why is Ceal still in the building? After all, the entire mess with Linda lies at her feet both in continuing the Ceal culture, the hire, the extensions, and the financial mess. I started watching women's basketball to stay connected to the program and University. Now I'm not so sure why I do, other than that I have for so long. I'm actually asking myself if I don't need to take a divorce from the program. I'm not sure I even enjoy the games anymore. Things are just bad in Boulder.

It sounds like most of us are in agreement on this board and that most of us are just sad at where the program is and at what student athletes are experiencing. You all know where I stand, that being said, there are definitely political difficulties in letting Ceal go. In Boulder and on that campus Ceal is not a person people cross lightly or without a plan.

I think RG might fire Ceal Barry. I think Linda was her hire, as was KMM. Neither worked out and the program is just a shell of what it once was. That's on Ceal at this point. The fact that RG can't actually afford to fire Linda is also on Ceal. It was Ceal's decision to give Linda extensions. I think that seals Ceal's fate.

This is where I'm at.

Ceal has to go!

We've got a former Pac coach over here who went 72-26 in conference play at Cal from '05-'11 and would probably make the jump. It's just not working out at UVA, 88-70 overall mark. Personally wouldn't recommend it, but that is a solid Pac record.

LaTonya came back to CU to help Lappe get the program going the right way. She never planned to stay due to family being back east. While I hated so see her leave, it did not surprise me. Jennie Baranczyk left to go to her dream job, in her home town where her family and the family of her husband can help take care of her children because of her traveling. Drake is doing well. Losing Jennie hurt the program big time.

I still think Lappe has to go. If she stays 3 more years and is in the cellar 3 more years, what will be left of the program?

We've got a former Pac coach over here who went 72-26 in conference play at Cal from '05-'11 and would probably make the jump. It's just not working out at UVA, 88-70 overall mark. Personally wouldn't recommend it, but that is a solid Pac record.

Are you speaking of Joanne Boyle?

Are you speaking of Joanne Boyle?

Yes, I don't rate her highly at all based on her time here in Cville, but figured I'd mention there's a coach with a 73% Pac winning mark who would probably be all ears since she's increasingly feeling the heat here. Again though, i do not think it would be the right direction to go...at all.

@buffgal when the team was good how was the turnout for an average game? I'm thinking that while CU won't have a money making WBB program it could be a break-even sport. 900k short term loss for sustained long term success would be a boon. Being in a better conference though with very good schools it would seem CU will have a tougher time than it did in the Big12. It looks like the Pac12 takes it's women's sports a lot more seriously.

Also, we had an academic advantage in the Big12 with only UT and KU being other AAU members and in the Pac12 nearly every school is. It looks to me, from an outsider, that women take their academics more seriously and CU is in the the upper half, but not top 3 in the conference, in academic prestige. Is that a fair assessment?

During our prime years, we had sell outs. We had near sell outs. People followed the team on the road who were not family members or fans who lived in the area. I know this year, more season ticket holders left because some of them were my friends who had season tickets since they first came in to being. At one time, you could buy books of GA tickets, but it wasn't until the early 90's that you could actually buy a reserved season ticket. KMM ran off tons of season ticket holders as was stated above. When I attended a game over Thanksgiving, I was surprised at how empty the area around me was. The people who sit by me said nobody had been sitting in the seats who were from last year and they had concluded they did not renew. In 4 NCAA tourney games, we drew over 11,000 people. In 1994, we drew over 10,000 people twice.

During 93-97 attendance was excellent. 1997 was the year we won the Big 12 tourney, the first year of the conference. CU never won another regular season or tourney title in the Big 12. The last game with over 8,000 people was against K State in 2002. CU used a lot of free tickets to build up the attendance. Getting them in the door and seeing that it was fun and for families was key to those highly attended games. I used to take the free tickets from McDonalds and give them out at work and my co-workers would come. That would not be as easy now with some of the 8 PM starts. That is not a family friendly time.

With the right coach and players, I don't see why CU can not be competitive in the Pac 12. I think CU has always taken academics at least somewhat seriously. I'm very impressed that Haley Smith is majoring in engineering. I remember when Jackie McFarland was playing (under KMM), she had an outstanding grade point in the business school and is a CPA. She graduated with a combined bachelor's and MBA in 4 years.

I've been watching all of the Pac 12 tourney games and you can see the love and respect the coaches have for their players and vice versa. Didn't see that in the CU game. Another thing a friend has pointed out is that when a player is hurt, Lappe doesn't go out on the court. Tara VanDeveer did that in a tourney game. That shows a parent you care about their child.

Back