What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Larry Scott talks CU/Pac 12 finances, TV contract + Cal game decision soon

if our Buffs beat hell out of cal at folsom, we'll all be rejoicing that they played the game. if they lose, people throughout the webosphere will be screaming that bohn should have found a different opponent.

GTFOH. no one would be so irrational as to do something like that. crazy talk.

if our Buffs beat hell out of cal at folsom, we'll all be rejoicing that they played the game. if they lose, people throughout the webosphere will be screaming that bohn should have found a different opponent.

Us? No way!

When it comes to any type of TV revenue for the school , it seemed like Scott's message left the door open to alot of possible changes. Other than that, most everything else sounds like is moving the right direction for the school and P12 as a whole.

I disagree. Good fundamental football, a specific team direction, good coaching and consistently building reputation with HS coaches are more important to me than winning now. Changing attitude is the biggest need in the program to me.

This^

Considering that, in all likelihood, we're going to end up playing this game anyway; I take the attitude that A) at least it's a home game, B) let's see what this team has in them, and C) I fundamentally hate the practice of playing patsies. It's more damaging to the program when you lose those games versus an opponent like Cal, and barely eligible with 7 wins including a Portland State gets you the Light-My-Fart Bowl® in downtown Detroit, brought to you by Zippo™.

**** that. That doesn't get you 4* and 5* recruits, IMO.

When it comes to any type of TV revenue for the school , it seemed like Scott's message left the door open to alot of possible changes. Other than that, most everything else sounds like is moving the right direction for the school and P12 as a whole.

Yeah, and it's really nice to have some conference money coming in next year. The prospect of an entire year sans league funds was scary.

Last edited:
This^

Considering that, in all likelihood, we're going to end up playing this game anyway; I take the attitude that A) at least it's a home game, B) let's see what this team has in them, and C) I fundamentally hate the practice of playing patsies. It's more damaging to the program when you lose those games versus an opponent like Cal, and barely eligible with 7 wins including a Portland State gets you the Light-My-Fart Bowl® in downtown Detroit, brought to you by Zippo™.

**** that. That doesn't get you 4* and 5* recruits, IMO.

like this guy. he is no pussy.

dont get all giggly JP. still a pussy to me. compared to the rest of the jackasses around here... your kinda better.

but, not really. lets see where you are after 15,000 posts. :smile2:

no problem. hawaii sucks. csu sucks. TBA really sucks. they dont even have a team. tOSU sucks and are due for an upset. wsu sucks. u-dub sucks. asu sucks. zona sucks. ucla sucks. utah sucks.

u forgot something. we suck too.

agree with slade, we need to get out of this cal game. 10 pac 12 games? ****ing nuts.

Would rather CU not play this Cal game. I spent entirely too much $$ in order to witness the Berkeley Beatdown in person, so my desire to give Cal some payback runs high. However, I'd rather the Buffs play a cupcake and better the chances of bowl eligibility. I love CU's tradition of tough scheduling, but it's foolish right now. If it's too complicated to change it at this point, fine, but a Portland State or New Mexico would be preferred.

Just keep the game. Screw Cal. Chop those bad boys down breaking in a new QB, HB, OL, coaches, defenders, etc,.

The most frustrating thing about the CU/CAL game last year was even though we were getting smoked, Cal hadn't done **** really. It was our own stupid plays, TO's, mental errors, sacks, poor field position and coaching that killed us. If we play with the same fire against Cal that we did late in the year under Cabral, i think we beat them.

Cal is solid football team with solid coaching but definitely nothing to run from. And it's at our house. We need to rally the fans, rally the team and kick these guys' asses. Steal a game against Cal and you've just made a name for yourself. Lose against Cal and we don't lose anything. Play a patty-cake I-AA team and it doesn't even count towards a bowl. Worse yet you have a loss like Montana State which debilitates you for the rest of the season. Not worth it. Just stand up and fight Cal, at our house. Screw it. CU's going to earn a wealth of experience off these games. Every one will feel like a bowl game... USC, UW, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, ASU, Arizona, and Utah. So be it.

... and if we beat the heck out of a patsy, people will be screaming we should have stuck with Cal, esp. if that makes us 2-0. Our fan base is every bit as fickle as anyone else's.

u forgot something. we suck too.
agree with slade, we need to get out of this cal game. 10 pac 12 games? ****ing nuts.

I'm on the fence about getting out of the game, tending toward it being a scheduling accident and we live with it and see what we're really made of. But people act like there are a lot of patsies out there compared to us, when we have a brand new coaching staff, system, and will have a bunch new starters, probably some that would surprise us today. We have a lot to prove on the field next year.

No way in hell would I play that Cal game. Colorado needs to get bowl eligible next year, any way possible.

Playing 13 games means the Buffs must win SEVEN (7) games to reach bowl eligibility.

It is very winnable, Cal sucks on the road, sucks sucks sucks. CU still managed to be decent at home even with the dumbass coaching.

NO need to play CAL, we have a tough schedule already.
If we make a bowl with the difficulty of our schedule... we get respect from the country (maybe) and we can sell it to recruits. I don't really see a good reason not to play it.

If I arm wrestle 12, 8 year old girls and win, then arm wrestle Stallone in Over the Top and get destroyed, I've got a winning record but I'm humiliated.

If I arm wrestle opponents that appear to be competitive, then win or lose, it's respectable, and through the constant challenge of higher competition, I improve.

Do we want to compete at an MWC level or the PAC 12 level?

Me personally, I'd rather hit someone in the teeth.

If I arm wrestle 12, 8 year old girls and win, then arm wrestle Stallone in Over the Top and get destroyed, I've got a winning record but I'm humiliated.

If I arm wrestle opponents that appear to be competitive, then win or lose, it's respectable, and through the constant challenge of higher competition, I improve.

Do we want to compete at an MWC level or the PAC 12 level?

Me personally, I'd rather hit someone in the teeth.

Of course, if your goal is to play in the POST SEASON -- then you want to do everything you can to get there.

If you want to get your dick knocked in the dirt week in, week out, and never have a chance to pick yourself up off the canvas, you continue to schedule the way Colorado has.

We need some positive perception of the program nationally and in the new conference. Getting to a bowl game in Embree's first year is about as visible step forward as the program can make right now. If we can replace the Cal game, we should do it without a second thought.

We need some positive perception of the program nationally and in the new conference. Getting to a bowl game in Embree's first year is about as visible step forward as the program can make right now. If we can replace the Cal game, we should do it without a second thought.

^^^
this

:yeahthat:

the difference between 6-5 and 5-6 is night and day. that's perception, and a bowl game. i think we should be good enough to beat a mediocre Cal team in Boulder (revenge factor, included), but i can see the logic of the times and going with a Bill Snyder style cupcake.

and from the perception management angle, you've got the "Cal is now a conference foe" card to provide misdirection.

If this team plays at least like they did under Cabral. ( I am expecting even more improvement) We should again beat HI, CSU, Win with Cal, WSU, UW, and Arizona. There is 6. If we steal one of the remaining 7 we have a bowl game. I could see a steal at OSU since they will not be at full strength. Or upset USC in boulder. Most likely though we beat ASU. I think we for sure lose to Stanford and Oregon. Probably lose to Utah. Otherwise I think we match up well. I think alot of people forget how different this team looked a short 7 days after Hawk was gone. That team that beat KSU and ISU is good enough to surprise people next year.

Hawaii loses their star player at QB.
CSU is CSU
Cal like others have said sucks on the road
WSU is WSU
UW loses a ton of players including Locker
Arizona wilts in the second half of the season + its at home

ASU is never as good as they should be
OSU is missing five key starters when we play them
USC tends to be caught in trap games.
UCLA could be an interesting match up that we could win.

Of course, if your goal is to play in the POST SEASON -- then you want to do everything you can to get there.

If you want to get your dick knocked in the dirt week in, week out, and never have a chance to pick yourself up off the canvas, you continue to schedule the way Colorado has.

Post season where? A lame ass bowl remains a lame ass bowl. I have no respect nor improved perception of any of the lower tier bowl attendees. Do you?

Post season where? A lame ass bowl remains a lame ass bowl. I have no respect nor improved perception of any of the lower tier bowl attendees. Do you?

agreed.

If we win 3 of the first 4 we should be looking at mid tier bowls at the least. The only thing u can say at that point is u had a winning season. Those toilet bowls don't get any attention or respect for the winner or loser. Surprise the country and go 15-0 and don't worry about perceptions...

Any bowl game is better than no bowl game.

Your ideas of "respect" and "perception" are insignificant compared to the benefit the team receives from additional practices and the benefit recruits receive from seeing the team preparing for a bowl game, etc. It is like having a 2nd spring practice.

don't forget that is we get a whole game, we get a whole month of extra practices that are associated with it.

Any bowl game is better than no bowl game.

Your ideas of "respect" and "perception" are insignificant compared to the benefit the team receives from additional practices and the benefit recruits receive from seeing the team preparing for a bowl game, etc. It is like having a 2nd spring practice.

I'm going to reverse my position. You're right, those extra practices are invaluable, and that alone is enough, even if it is a crap bowl, it gives more continuity. I guess I was reacting to the feeling of "let's play someone easy". Bowl or bust!

agreed.

If we win 3 of the first 4 we should be looking at mid tier bowls at the least. The only thing u can say at that point is u had a winning season. Those toilet bowls don't get any attention or respect for the winner or loser. Surprise the country and go 15-0 and don't worry about perceptions...

Yeah... who wants a winning season when we can just play the "we played a harder schedule than everyone else" card? It is better to be in a bowl than no bowl at all, especially where we stand as a program. We have played in one so-called "lame ass" bowl in the last five seasons, and suddenly we are too proud as a fanbase to strive for something like that as a program? That may have worked when we were nationally relevant, no so much anymore.

don't forget that is we get a whole game, we get a whole month of extra practices that are associated with it.

Undoubtedly a good thing when you factor in our large senior class this year. The young guys that will be counted on in 2012 and beyond could use those extra practices.

Back