What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lendale White, Jeff Byers, Jesse White, Phil Loadholt, Casey Studdard, Zach Latimer..

Re: Lendale White, Jeff Byers, Jesse White, Phil Loadholt, Casey Studdard, Zach Latim

Tedford has a hell of a rep as a quarterback coach. Also, it is a great academic school. If I was a college-bound kid, it would be my choice if I was to go to school in Cali (assuming they'd lower their qualification standards to my level)

cal has a huge academic window for "special/unique talents" in sports, music, art, etc.

basically, if you can hit the minimum ncaa requirement and you are a bluechip athlete, you can get into cal.

this is the myth of academic standards. cal, michigan, virginia, and texas are all state public universities that are rated MUCH higher than CU overall and yet they still get their athletes in.

if you doubt this, look up an oldie but a goodie--- russell white. great high school running back. great. academically challenged. even usc turned him down and that was before usc even pretended to be upgrading their standards. turned out he had a case of undiagnosed learning disorder... got right into cal and tore up the pac 10.

Re: Lendale White, Jeff Byers, Jesse White, Phil Loadholt, Casey Studdard, Zach Latim

A lot of good points by a lot of people. I'm really not trying to open up pandora's box here, but it's not like GB did not recruit hard after most of these kids. Sure, Hawk is warming up to in-state a lot more, and he and his staff are much better recruiters. Still, if I remember correctly, Latimer's mom liked GB a lot (and Latimer did like CU), and as someone said earlier, Byers' dad was appreciative of GB's efforts. GB wasn't the best recruiter...but this recent string of success with in-state talent shouldn't be used as a barometer for past and future classes. Recruiting is such an odd world that I don't think we can really start to EXPECT the borders being closed until we start winning consistently. Hinder will most likely go to Cal next year - does that mean people should start complaining that Hawk has lost his touch? Just like people shouldn't have been so nervous a few days ago, we shouldn't be SO high right now. If Hawk were here during GB's years, I honestly think at least half the players mentioned (not to mention B. Davis, C. Campbell, and others) would have still gone out of the state.

Ochs and Walter were in the same class. Barnett committed to Ochs' dad that CU would not recruit another qb in that class in exchange for the commit, which is why they walked away from Walter.

That is a pretty common tactic in recruiting, and Ochs was thought to be the better player coming out of high school. It just didn't turn out like one might hope.

Walters' case was also similar to Kasa's. He didn't grow up in Colorado, but moved to Grand Junction right around the start of high school, maybe a bit before. He was from Arizona originally, which is why ASU always had a leg up on recruiting him. When GB made the promise to the Ochs family that Craig wouldn't have to face competition in his class for the job, that sealed AW's commitment to ASU.
andrew walter wanted to transfer to cu in 2002 and barney turned him down.

Yep, AW decided ASU wasn't for him after all and wanted to come back to Colorado (or so the stories went). GB still didn't take him. I can't remember if that still had to do with Ochs or if there were other reasons... :huh:

Jon Cooper is another no one has mention.... but I am sure someone, LT want to chip in, will put the guy guy down because he left Colorado to play for OU and call him a positional player or something like that....

Jon Cooper is another no one has mention.... but I am sure someone, LT want to chip in, will put the guy guy down because he left Colorado to play for OU and call him a positional player or something like that....

I'm talking about guys who were considered the top one or two players in Colorado at the time they were recruited. We'll have players leave the state all every year. But for the last three years, the guys who were considered the best in the state have all stayed at CU.

Walters' case was also similar to Kasa's. He didn't grow up in Colorado, but moved to Grand Junction right around the start of high school, maybe a bit before. He was from Arizona originally, which is why ASU always had a leg up on recruiting him. When GB made the promise to the Ochs family that Craig wouldn't have to face competition in his class for the job, that sealed AW's commitment to ASU.

I asked Shawn Watson specifically about Walter. He flat out said Walter would have come to CU were it not for the commitment to Ochs. Maybe he misgauged Walter's interest in ASU, but he seemed pretty sure of himself.

I asked Shawn Watson specifically about Walter. He flat out said Walter would have come to CU were it not for the commitment to Ochs. Maybe he misgauged Walter's interest in ASU, but he seemed pretty sure of himself.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that he was a lock for ASU, just that he did have ties down there and when CU wouldn't give him an offer that sealed the ASU decision. I had always heard CU was a serious contender for him, and from what Watson told you it sounds like it went ever farther than that.

:bang:

Are all examples of the big ones who got away. Nick Kasa could have joined that group. He had every excuse in the world to leave the state, but somehow Hawk & co convinced him to stay. Of the "big three" that we've kept in the state the last three years, Kasa was by far the one most likely to leave. He didn't.

I'm now convinced that had Hawk been here, we would have landed those other guys. Yes, even Lendale.

And obviously I know that there's no way of knowing that for sure. But there's no denying that the borders have now been effectively sealed.

Just ran across this post while randomly reading through some things. WOW! I can't believe that we may have thought these types of things ever!!!

Just ran across this post while randomly reading through some things. WOW! I can't believe that we may have thought these types of things ever!!!

I read that first post with out looking at the date and was about to neg rep sacky, then I saw when it was from.

Hey I remember after the bowl game and 2008 class that I told my Husker fan friend that CU had a recruiting savant of a coach and that we just recruited the next Tomlinson who'd be a freshman all American. Ah boy...

How the hell did you find this, and who the hell hacked my account back in 2009? That's simply crazy talk, there. Only a crazy person would make such statements.

Reactions: DBT
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Interesting thread from the archives.

FWIW, USC did not turn down Russell White strictly for "academic reasons". You're fooling yourselves if you think USC and other private universities make their football recruiting decisions based on academics. Cal took a chance and gave him an opportunity to shine and he was up for the challenge. He wound up graduating with a BA in social welfare. I think he had a 3.2 GPA when he graduated. I took some difficult classes with him when I attended and he was present every lecture and section. I can't imagine what it was like trying to attend classes at Cal while battling Dyslexia every day. Major props to him. He has since proven to be an upstanding member of society and he gave back and continues to give back to the community every day.

[video=youtube;BCoLS2csYTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCoLS2csYTg[/video]

Not only some major studs next year...but the 2011 Colorado class could provide the top RB recruit in the nation in Adonis Ameen-Moore from Mullen....if we can continue to land these studs every year than you can only expect GREAT things to come

Continuing this trend will be VERY important for the program

uhh...

Old Man Good Job GIF

Back