What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let's talk about our defense

Condescending rubbish is my alternate screen name.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Bumping this. When I first posted it, I was just a bit unsure of Kelly, I now know I don't think he is right for the job.

Losing a game when you are up 29-0 at half, with all of the formation penalties we had is a very big problem.

Losing games like this is what got Kelly fired from FSU. He was an assistant at Alabama on his recruiting abilities. I don't have any confidence in him as DC.

Bumping this. When I first posted it, I was just a bit unsure of Kelly, I now know I don't think he is right for the job.

Losing a game when you are up 29-0 at half, with all of the formation penalties we had is a very big problem.

Losing games like this is what got Kelly fired from FSU. He was an assistant at Alabama on his recruiting abilities. I don't have any confidence in him as DC.
I dunno it's 12 one way, a dozen the other.

Talent overcomes many many flaws in schemes. As much as we like to think that coaching is a huge part of the game, talent is far and away the biggest factor. My sense is Kelly's defense requires skills most on our current roster don't have. Now it's fair to say he should adjust some things to leverage what talent he has, but that still doesn't overcome the talent issue and players actually executing what they're supposed to do (like tackle, not miss assignments, not commit personal fouls, not jump offiside).

Talent overcomes many many flaws in schemes. As much as we like to think that coaching is a huge part of the game, talent is far and away the biggest factor. My sense is Kelly's defense requires skills most on our current roster don't have. Now it's fair to say he should adjust some things to leverage what talent he has, but that still doesn't overcome the talent issue and players actually executing what they're supposed to do (like tackle, not miss assignments, not commit personal fouls, not jump offiside).
The team with the better athletes wins the vast majority of games. This mean recruiting is the most important skill for the staff to have. Scheme, adjustments, gameplanning all take second place to recruiting.

If he lands some elite DL & LBs this cycle, he's good.

The team with the better athletes wins the vast majority of games. This mean recruiting is the most important skill for the staff to have. Scheme, adjustments, gameplanning all take second place to recruiting.

If he lands some elite DL & LBs this cycle, he's good.
Kelly failed with great recruits at Florida State. Kelly's scheme just sucks, and it's always sucked, and it will always suck.

He's a recruiting coordinator at the P5 level. 🤷

I'd settle for consistent form tackling.

This has to be the longest and most insightful 96Buff post I've seen in my (Holy ****) 15 years on the board.

Prime Effect even has 96 engaged more than telling us to go **** ourselves!

Kelly failed with great recruits at Florida State. Kelly's scheme just sucks, and it's always sucked, and it will always suck.

He's a recruiting coordinator at the P5 level. 🤷
That's the thing, fsu's defense went on a continuous decline while he was their DC. FSU had some pretty big collapses on the defense during his time, losing games they should not have. Just like losing a game when you are up 29-0 at half.

While I hear those say his recruiting is more important, he just hasn't historically been a quality DC.

Back