What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Linda Lappe has resigned as WBB Head Coach

WOW! So much hate-filled garbage. This time split up into pieces to increase it's post count. Time to use "ignore".

Apparently another rant that I won't be reading. Must have been all about Kennedy and she does not deserve it.

Ceal decided to give Linda the 2019 extension essentially because she was frustrated with how much money Boyle was getting on his extension. Ceal is passionate about Title IX, and wanting equitable pay for both Women's and Men's basketball coaches. I have no problem with that. I'm no Boyle fan, and never have been, but Tad has EARNED what he has made from CU. Tad took a program with no tradition, no legacy, and built it up from the ground up in one of the most competitive basketball conferences in the country. That just doesn't happen. I have no faith that Tad can take the next step and get CU competitive, playing as a Pac-12 perennial contender. I think the best season CU has ever had under Tad has been finishing 3rd. I don't expect that will ever change. However, getting to the NCAA tournament is better than how he found the program.

With Linda, Ceal wanted Linda to get the money if Tad was getting the money. It had nothing to do with the fact of whether each was competent in their role in the first place. That's where I think Ceal did a grave disservice to the University and the AD. She let her own sexual politics agenda interfere with her duties within the AD. For the record I completely support having a women's basketball coach at CU that makes even MORE than what Tad makes. CU women's basketball has a tradition, it has a legacy, and there is no inherent reason that the Buffs shouldn't be the premier program in the Pac-12. However, giving good money to a bad coach, who wan't even marginally qualified to be a Div-I coach, let alone in the Pac-12, was just bad business.

There is just no reason to keep Boyle or Lappe extended with a full five years remaining on their contracts. If a coach doesn't meet expectations, even for a single year, you don't need to renew their contract. They have FOUR more years to prove that they are the right person to lead the program, and the AD can renew them in any or all of the remaining four years, including extending beyond just a single year.

It was inappropriate of Ceal to extend Linda in 2014 just because Tad was getting extended. Boyle had earned his extension, and certainly has earned his salary. CU needs a AD that brings in a premier HC candidate, and pays them accordingly. I have no problem paying on an equal basis to the profitable Men's game, even though the Women's game isn't a revenue sport. Fair is fair. However, no women's basketball coach ever asked for a handout she didn't earn. Shame on Ceal for giving one to Linda. Anyone who thinks Linda was ever going to leave CU didn't know her. CU truly was her dream job. Ceal did Linda a grave disservice to hire Linda. Linda needed to develop her acumen as a coach, and her leadership style, and after years as a coach and in the gym leading teams, then Linda would have been perfect to lead CU. This was a train wreck the day the initial hire was announced. KMM had accumulated enough talent that her players eventually elevated CU to the 11th ranking, just on the outside of being a top-10 program, and a threat for the Sweet-Sixteen.

However, Linda was a Bohn hire. Just as CU under Embree had the worst offensive/defensive coordination in the BCS, so too did the CU Women's basketball team have some of the worst offensive schemes. Linda got buy with smoke/mirrors and incredible individual effort from players, not process and not coaching players up. Chucky was a sight to behold and a real talent. However, as Buffs fans we never truly got to see the heights that Chucky, Reese, Roberson, Swan, or the Wilsons were capable of. Back then the Buffs were winning in spite of Linda, not because of her. Anyone who knew any of the players on the team, and listened to what they were saying knew that. Players know talent when they see it, practice against it, and play with it. Its the coach's role to get that talent onto the floor and into situations that give them an opportunity to succeed. More often than not, under Lappe, that just didn't happen.

Winning basketball at CU is not going to look the exact same way that losing did. The next coach will not come in and let a three star PG recruit that was mediocre at best creating for her own team, and whose offensive efficiency numbers were just poor, continue to shoot the team out of games, and keep the team from getting into good looks. Changes are coming. The next head coach won't be so easily fooled by counting metrics, she will bring a sense of proper analytics and the numbers do not lie.

Anyone who thinks any one player is bigger than the program, is a relative.

All sound and fury....in the end signifying NOTHING! Its just women's basketball. Call me when half the team can dunk.

There are many knowledgeable women's bball game fans on here, but this thread makes me really want the old dislike button back.

Women's basketball is a great sport! Have you watched it and how it has evolved over the last 40 years? I have and I enjoy it.

RWAG is CU Women's BB's version of AZ and crew, an amazing amount of negativity comes out of that keyboard. As one who is known for long post I can't even come close.

Biggest mistake in watching the women play basketball is to try to compare it with the men's game. Yes the principles and rules of the game are basically the same but how the game is played makes it a completely different game. I'm not a big fan but I do enjoy watching it for the strategy elements. Much of the men's game is trying to create physical mismatches to exploit. The women't game to my eye is much more about creating open shots for players through passing and movement.

The athleticism of the women has advanced a great deal over the years so the game looks to be much faster than it was and the skill level looks to be higher but it hasn't lost that focus on team fundamentals.

I am a little frustrated that there aren't more women getting opportunities to coach top level women's basketball.

http://www.startribune.com/more-men-are-coaching-women-s-college-basketball-teams/254056561/

I think that the women deserve to have the best coach available regardless of gender and it is hard to argue with the success of coaches like Geno (can't spell the last name) at UConn. At the same time we have had title IX for over 25 years now. There have been thousands of highly intelligent, motivated, and capable women who love the game play at the various levels of women's basketball. I find it hard to believe that there aren't more of them who aren't qualified and deserving of a shot at becoming head coaches.

I could make a crass joke but will refrain. I dislike the smaller basketball. I mean, it's noticeably smaller. For some reason, that bugs me.

Well, there's been some discussion on here about South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston's ability to recruit and coach at a high enough level to be considered as a P5 WBB coach. Right now, in the women's NCAA, SDSU, a 12 seed, is leading Miami, a 5 seed, by a score of 59 to 48 with 8:00 to go in the game.

Update .... I didn't jinx them. SDSU wins 74 -71. Had SDSU made their free throws in the final minute at the same rate they made them in the rest of the game, the final score would not have been that close.

Last edited:
Maybe CU is going after him. I was impressed with that showing!

On one of these threads, somebody said Arielle Roberson was nothing more than a role player at West Virginia. I was looking on the WVU website yesterday and found out that she was named Honorable Mention All Big 12. I'd say she is more than a role player to get that kind of recognition.

Maybe CU is going after him. I was impressed with that showing!

On one of these threads, somebody said Arielle Roberson was nothing more than a role player at West Virginia. I was looking on the WVU website yesterday and found out that she was named Honorable Mention All Big 12. I'd say she is more than a role player to get that kind of recognition.
Her numbers are down a little, but she starts and is in the 2nd round of the tourney, so. .. who's to argue with that. Personally, I'm bitter, but good for her

Liver flukes is still wondering how Hawaii beat his Bears by 10

Probably more upset about what might have been. No Wallace. Bird sick and then missing half the game with back spasms. Brown getting into early foul trouble. Cal had Final Four type talent this season and significantly under-performed.

RWAG's weak Basketball IQ and lack of logic is being revealed. Who in the heck ever implied that KL was on the level of Delle Donne or Griner?

This is like that time Jordan Gherke's dad got on here and tried for it not to be patently obvious who he was - wonder which players dad RWAG is?

Her numbers are down a little, but she starts and is in the 2nd round of the tourney, so. .. who's to argue with that. Personally, I'm bitter, but good for her

I was never bitter. Players look out for themselves. She spent two of her four years at CU red shirting due to injuries. She found herself an opportunity and made something of it. Whose to argue with that? She would not have been in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney had she stayed at CU.

Latest on South Dakota State ... with 2 minutes to go in third quarter, SDSU leads Stanford by 5. Game is at Stanford.

Update: Stanford pulled it out, winning 66-65 on an "and 1" with about 8 seconds to go in the game then a block of the SDSU shot.

I think Aaron Johnston can coach.

Last edited:

Reading up on her:
I like the fact that Pebley (pronounced Pee-blee) has been a D1 HC for 13 years, the last 2 seasons at the Big 6 conference level. I like that pretty much her entire career has been within the CU recruiting footprint (Utah State, Fresno State & TCU as a HC with a few years before that as a CSU assistant). I like that her recruiting was taking off at TCU (4 ESPNW Top 100 players in the 2016 class, including a two 5* guards). I like that she played a couple seasons in the WNBA. I like that she has won at all her stops and has an upward career trajectory. I like that she is connected to the CU program as a top player during a very successful time in the program (3 conference titles and 4 NCAAT appearances while she was a CU player).

Thursday night at 7pm MT is the next game in the WNIT for TCU, 3rd round against an excellent UTEP squad that probably should have been in the NCAAT.

Reading up on her:
I like the fact that Pebley (pronounced Pee-blee) has been a D1 HC for 13 years, the last 2 seasons at the Big 6 conference level. I like that pretty much her entire career has been within the CU recruiting footprint (Utah State, Fresno State & TCU as a HC with a few years before that as a CSU assistant). I like that her recruiting was taking off at TCU (4 ESPNW Top 100 players in the 2016 class, including a two 5* guards). I like that she played a couple seasons in the WNBA. I like that she has won at all her stops and has an upward career trajectory. I like that she is connected to the CU program as a top player during a very successful time in the program (3 conference titles and 4 NCAAT appearances while she was a CU player).

Thursday night at 7pm MT is the next game in the WNIT for TCU, 3rd round against an excellent UTEP squad that probably should have been in the NCAAT.
Nice research Nik. I too like the growth progression and successes at every stop that she has had in her coaching career. Her first HC stint, at Utah State, was starting a program from scratch. Not an easy task.
Only thing I noticed is that most of her verbals to that strong 2016 recruiting class at TCU are players from Texas. Would she be able to recruit Texas players to Colorado when there isn't the same opportunities to play in front of family and friends? The state of Colorado isn't anywhere close to the state of Texas in the number of good in-state players available.

Back