What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Living up north

After T+1, I'm done with Nebraska. Adios bugeaters. Not scheduling them is a great way to get the red out.

As an OOS fan, I end up avoiding the CSU-CU game at Invesco.

I much prefer the game day in Boulder. When Invesco was first used at the RMS, it was fun because it was new. Now it's old hat. Same ol' same ol'. The CSU game is for the local yokels and is just not attractive compared to other options, like roadies at West Virginia or Cal or Hawaii or tOSU.

I'd jump at any chance to CU play at AFA. I'd even get excited about a game at Hughes, since it's been over 20 years since the Buffs played there.

But Invesco vs CSU? Yawn.

I think scheduling AFA makes a lot of sense for CU and is really the only viable alternative to CSU. However, getting them scheduled is difficult considering the Zoomies play Army and Navy every season. Also, with the expanded MWC that basically leaves AFA with one left over OOC game to schedule. I am just not sure a yearly tilt with CU can be arranged given those difficulties.

7 is better than 6, is it not?

Yes it is. Thank you. And if people were talking about adding an NU game EVERY year at Invesco that would be in addition to the six regular games played at Folsom, it might be a plausible idea. Somehow, I really doubt NU is going to play CU every single year at Invesco Field. Call me crazy.

All this AFA talk is humorous, too. AFA wouldn't bring nearly the attention to the game that CSU does. Like it or not, CSU is another state school and has the second most alumni in the area, behind CU.

AFA might be fun to play every once in a while, but it's crazy to talk about AFA replacing CSU on the schedule. Laugh all you want at CSU, they bring a lot more to the table than AFA does.

All this AFA talk is humorous, too. AFA wouldn't bring nearly the attention to the game that CSU does. Like it or not, CSU is another state school and has the second most alumni in the area, behind CU.

AFA might be fun to play every once in a while, but it's crazy to talk about AFA replacing CSU on the schedule. Laugh all you want at CSU, they bring a lot more to the table than AFA does.

No arguement from me on the point about replacing CSU with AFA every year.

No one is saying that, are they?

The last time AFA played CU was in 1972. That was decades ago.

I'd be content with having the chance to watch the Buffs play at the AFA just a few times before I die. Playing AFA at Invesco would suck, too.

Just start by setting up a friggen home and home just once. Get that bad boy on the schedule. That's all I'm saying.

The problem is that the CSU contact is plugging up the schedule. The problem with CSU every year is that it takes other options off the table.

Edit: I'm rather sick of Fresno being on the OOS schedule so much too.

Last edited by a moderator:
No arguement from me on the point about replacing CSU with AFA every year.

No one is saying that, are they?

The last time AFA played CU was in 1972. That was decades ago.

I'd be content with having the chance to watch the Buffs play at the AFA just a few times before I die. Playing AFA at Invesco would suck, too.

Just start by setting up a friggen home and home just once. Get that bad boy on the schedule. That's all I'm saying.

The problem is that the CSU contact is plugging up the schedule. The problem with CSU every year is that it takes other options off the table.

+1

I go to Airforce games when they are at home and the buffs are on a bye. Folsom and Falcon stadium are awesome places to watch a football game.

I'd support an AFA home/home series, but beyond that, meh. Kinda like how we've played Wyoming once or twice in the last 15 years, we could do something similar with AFA.

I believe we make more on the game itself by having it at Invesco instead of Folsom.

There's also some harm done to in-stadium advertising, community relations with Boulder businesses, negative impact on season tickets, difficulty of ensuring that we still have 6 home games every season (and the payouts to our opponents if we have to do 2-for-1s to make that happen), and probably some stuff I'm not thinking of. If it's a net financial win for CU, it's not by much.

I believe we make more on the game itself by having it at Invesco instead of Folsom.

There's also some harm done to in-stadium advertising, community relations with Boulder businesses, negative impact on season tickets, difficulty of ensuring that we still have 6 home games every season (and the payouts to our opponents if we have to do 2-for-1s to make that happen), and probably some stuff I'm not thinking of. If it's a net financial win for CU, it's not by much.

Taking a multi year view is the only way for the Invesco money arguement to make sense. For example:
CSU @ Invesco:
Year 1: 70K seats x $60 x 55% cut = $2.3M
Year 2: $2.3M
Total: $4.6M

CSU home and home
Boulder: 52K seats x $60 x 100% take + parking & concessions. Approx $4.1M
Ft. Collins: nada

Taking a multi year view is the only way for the Invesco money arguement to make sense. For example:
CSU @ Invesco:
Year 1: 70K seats x $60 x 55% cut = $2.3M
Year 2: $2.3M
Total: $4.6M

CSU home and home
Boulder: 52K seats x $60 x 100% take + parking & concessions. Approx $4.1M
Ft. Collins: nada

You're forgetting the extra home game when CU plays CSU at Invesco.

You're forgetting the extra home game when CU plays CSU at Invesco.

Interesting point, but I don't see where the extra home game would come from in the Pac 10.

The CUAD would like to promise the ticket holders 6 games in Boulder, not seven. And that will be a challenge in the future.

Assuming this hybrid Pac 10 zipper comes to pass, CU will either get 4 or 5 conference home games depending on the year, plus CSU at invesco, and then two other OOC games that could be played anywhere based upon the AD's scheduling.

It's hard, but not impossible, to for CU to have both of those available OCC slots played at Folsom.

The most probable combination in the Pac-10 OOC is one home, one away, and one nuetral (invesco).

Year 1
6 Home $24.6M. (assumes $4.1 per game)
5 Away (4 conf, 1 OOC)
1 Nuetral $2.3
Year 1 Total $26.9M (excl. TV rev, donations)

Year 2
5 home $20.5M
6 away (5 conf, 1 OOC)
1 neutral $2.3M
Year 2 total. $22.8M.

The best situation for CU is to play CSU at invesco in year 1 and in boulder in year 2. Otherwise, CU needs both available OCC games to be played in Boulder to get the six home game target.

Interesting point, but I don't see where the extra home game would come from in the Pac 10.

The CUAD would like to promise the ticket holders 6 games in Boulder, not seven. And that will be a challenge in the future.

Assuming this hybrid Pac 10 zipper comes to pass, CU will either get 4 or 5 conference home games depending on the year, plus CSU at invesco, and then two other OOC games that could be played anywhere based upon the AD's scheduling.

It's hard, but not impossible, to for CU to have both of those available OCC slots played at Folsom.

The most probable combination in the Pac-10 OOC is one home, one away, and one nuetral (invesco).

Year 1
6 Home $24.6M. (assumes $4.1 per game)
5 Away (4 conf, 1 OOC)
1 Nuetral $2.3
Year 1 Total $26.9M (excl. TV rev, donations)

Year 2
5 home $20.5M
6 away (5 conf, 1 OOC)
1 neutral $2.3M
Year 2 total. $22.8M.

The best situation for CU is to play CSU at invesco in year 1 and in boulder in year 2. Otherwise, CU needs both available OCC games to be played in Boulder to get the six home game target.

Bohn pretty much said that the whole reason for playing the game in Denver was to ensure 6 true home games every year, plus the revenue from the game in Denver. I suspect what will happen is that in years where we have fewer conference home games, he'll set up any home/home series to be in Boulder that year, and schedule a D-II team (Northern Colorado, E Washington) for that extra home game. We'll have our six home games a year. I'm confident of that.

Bohn pretty much said that the whole reason for playing the game in Denver was to ensure 6 true home games every year, plus the revenue from the game in Denver. I suspect what will happen is that in years where we have fewer conference home games, he'll set up any home/home series to be in Boulder that year, and schedule a D-II team (Northern Colorado, E Washington) for that extra home game. We'll have our six home games a year. I'm confident of that.

Yes. He did say that. But that was before the Pac 10 announcement.
The CSU series made more sense in the 8 game B-12 schedule.

I'm interested to see how that 6th game gets arranged in the off year. CU might need to schedule more games against Hawaii.

Yes. He did say that. But that was before the Pac 10 announcement.
The CSU series made more sense in the 8 game B-12 schedule.

I'm interested to see how that 6th game gets arranged in the off year. CU might need to schedule more games against Hawaii.

Funny you mention that. The future football schedules were updated today on cubuffs.com and there seemed to be changes beyond the 2011 Fresno State & Ohio State games. Does anyone remember another road trip to Hawaii in 2015 being on there before? That one looked new to me.

I also thought that the Minnesota series had been postponed or something. But now we're playing there in 2012 and they're playing here in 2013. Unfortunately, that means that 2012 has the RMS neutral as an away game for ticket allotment and tv rights along with our two other non-conference games being at Minnesota and at Fresno State. The Pac-12 better give us a 5-game home slate that year or it's going to be a financial disaster (and suck for us fans, too).

Back