What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

“Arizona State reports to the same Board of Regents as Arizona but, by comparison, seems to spend money first and asks questions never.”

Lulz.
ASU with 90k+ students paying student fees to the AD has one of the best setups for funding in the nation. Lots of commuter and online students in that number and they all pay.

ASU with 90k+ students paying student fees to the AD has one of the best setups for funding in the nation. Lots of commuter and online students in that number and they all pay.
I understand the financial differences between the two schools. I just found that quote funny.

So important to better monetize facilities. Interesting Buffzone article from Howell about some of the opportunities and challenges with this stuff. Types of things that can fund one of the non-revenue sports, though, to put it into perspective.

During the 2014-15 fiscal year, CU netted $445,603 from outside events; for the 2017-18 fiscal year, CU budgeted a net of $983,300. CU would like to see that number grow even more in the coming years.

Carl is working to add more events, including a plan for a CU Corporate Cup in 2019. The concept would be similar to the San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup, which began in 2012 and pits local businesses against each other in competitions such as a 5K run, 3-vs-3 basketball, dodgeball, tug of war, golf chipping, Frisbee toss, etc.

So important to better monetize facilities. Interesting Buffzone article from Howell about some of the opportunities and challenges with this stuff. Types of things that can fund one of the non-revenue sports, though, to put it into perspective.

During the 2014-15 fiscal year, CU netted $445,603 from outside events; for the 2017-18 fiscal year, CU budgeted a net of $983,300. CU would like to see that number grow even more in the coming years.

Carl is working to add more events, including a plan for a CU Corporate Cup in 2019. The concept would be similar to the San Antonio Sports Corporate Cup, which began in 2012 and pits local businesses against each other in competitions such as a 5K run, 3-vs-3 basketball, dodgeball, tug of war, golf chipping, Frisbee toss, etc.

Proms

Broussard (hired from LSU) is focusing fundraising efforts on growing the booster base by appealing to 25-35 year olds, among other things. One example is hosting watch parties in San Francisco and Newport Beach for the game at the Nubs, at which they'll encourage Buff Club membership.

Needed to happen. There simply isn't the donor culture at CU like there is at many other universities.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_31953090/broussard-tackling-fundraising-challenge-buffs

Under George - and Broussard's predecessor, Kurt Gulbrand, who took a similar position at Tennessee last year - CU's athletic department has seen unprecedented numbers in fund raising over the past five years.

Broussard, however, sees room for even more growth.

"It's absolutely a challenge, but I'll say this: It's a challenge and an opportunity in the same way," he said.

"We have a very mature donor base that has done a really good job of supporting this place for a while but something we need to a better job of is finding those new people."

Broussard (hired from LSU) is focusing fundraising efforts on growing the booster base by appealing to 25-35 year olds, among other things. One example is hosting watch parties in San Francisco and Newport Beach for the game at the Nubs, at which they'll encourage Buff Club membership.

Needed to happen. There simply isn't the donor culture at CU like there is at many other universities.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_31953090/broussard-tackling-fundraising-challenge-buffs

Under George - and Broussard's predecessor, Kurt Gulbrand, who took a similar position at Tennessee last year - CU's athletic department has seen unprecedented numbers in fund raising over the past five years.

"It's absolutely a challenge, but I'll say this: It's a challenge and an opportunity in the same way," he said.

"We have a very mature donor base that has done a really good job of supporting this place for a while but something we need to a better job of is finding those new people."
Most important piece of that article:

“There's a lot to recruit to here. If we get a little bit of momentum and success, that job gets a little bit easier.”

Just win, baby. And this bitch takes off.

Most important piece of that article:

“There's a lot to recruit to here. If we get a little bit of momentum and success, that job gets a little bit easier.”

Just win, baby. And this bitch takes off.
Yep. Unlike when Coach B.Mac had things take off, I believe that this time the AD is positioned to capitalize on it and build the architecture around the program (stadium upgrades, endowment, staff salaries, etc.) that CU should have.

This is all well and good but the reason it’s hard to donate is the exorbitant rates that colleges charge to attend anymore. Me and my fiancée have nearly 100K in student loan debt. They make me pay almost $1,200 a month for student loans, that’s a mortgage payment.

The University does a horrible and I do mean HORRIBLE job of managing and leveraging their Buff club relationships. I lived in San Diego for four years and a CU Alum, Mike Hess, owner of Mike Hess brewing had reached out to the Alumni association, the local Buff club and to the AD to see about hosting events at his facility in North Park. For those of you not aware, the buff club would host watch parties and the AD had a traveling event where coaches would speak in San Diego. Also Mike's facility in North Park is really nice....and you know what kind of response Mike got from CU????

This is all well and good but the reason it’s hard to donate is the exorbitant rates that colleges charge to attend anymore. Me and my fiancée have nearly 100K in student loan debt. They make me pay almost $1,200 a month for student loans, that’s a mortgage payment.
For sure.

What the should be focusing on with younger alums (and fans) is that if you join the Buff Club you get all sorts of benefits like AARP and other organizations do. Mortgage programs, credit cards, health insurance, discounts from companies, etc that saves you a ton more than joining Buff Club. Plus all sorts of networking opportunities for your career and for meeting new people who are Buff Club members wherever you move. Some of that is done, but from what I've seen it's weak and absolute amateur hour compared to what I saw with Penn State, which has grown the largest alumni network and has incredible resources due to it.

You get that going while people are in the under 40 age group and that starts to really pay off when they turn the corner in their financial life stages.

The University does a horrible and I do mean HORRIBLE job of managing and leveraging their Buff club relationships. I lived in San Diego for four years and a CU Alum, Mike Hess, owner of Mike Hess brewing had reached out to the Alumni association, the local Buff club and to the AD to see about hosting events at his facility in North Park. For those of you not aware, the buff club would host watch parties and the AD had a traveling event where coaches would speak in San Diego. Also Mike's facility in North Park is really nice....and you know what kind of response Mike got from CU????
Exactly. When I was living in SD, @chipwich put together a watch party for a game and we literally had to carry a tv into the place he finally found to host and then he had to do some computer voodoo to get a feed of the CU game. It's a completely neglected part of the AD. I'm very hopeful and encouraged by Broussard's focus on these types of things.

For sure.

What the should be focusing on with younger alums (and fans) is that if you join the Buff Club you get all sorts of benefits like AARP and other organizations do. Mortgage programs, credit cards, health insurance, discounts from companies, etc that saves you a ton more than joining Buff Club. Plus all sorts of networking opportunities for your career and for meeting new people who are Buff Club members wherever you move. Some of that is done, but from what I've seen it's weak and absolute amateur hour compared to what I saw with Penn State, which has grown the largest alumni network and has incredible resources due to it.

You get that going while people are in the under 40 age group and that starts to really pay off when they turn the corner in their financial life stages.
I turned one corner and got divorced, turned another and got married and have an additional child to put through college. All I'm sayin' is be careful of those corners!

Exactly. When I was living in SD, @chipwich put together a watch party for a game and we literally had to carry a tv into the place he finally found to host and then he had to do some computer voodoo to get a feed of the CU game. It's a completely neglected part of the AD. I'm very hopeful and encouraged by Broussard's focus on these types of things.
I don't know that I am hopeful quite yet, but I am paying attention.

The first thing they need to do is realize how bad they’ve done things in the past. I think they have realized that. Now it’s a matter of addressing those issues. That part will take some time and will probably frustrate some folks who don’t think it’s happening fast enough.

Last edited:
Many of the alumni chapters around the country host football watch parties. Easy synergy if the AD wants to leverage with groups that are already doing this.

Yep. Unlike when Coach B.Mac had things take off, I believe that this time the AD is positioned to capitalize on it and build the architecture around the program (stadium upgrades, endowment, staff salaries, etc.) that CU should have.
I’m impatiently waiting

For sure.

Pennsylvanians are a different breed, it’s texas AM with out all the weirdness.

I'm a season ticket holder for years and have donated I'm the past. I've literally never been called to donate and I'm quite sure if they asked me to donate even $100 I would.

And I fit right into the demographic they are trying to reach

Back