What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

I would also add that developing the South campus with a baseball & softball complex would be great for solving some Folsom issues. Make it an ancillary football parking & tailgate lot with shuttles to & from Folsom. Mitigates traffic into & out of Boulder by redirecting a good percentage onto the Table Mesa exit while accommodating an additional 15-20k fans with stadium expansion.

Tear down the CU Events center and build a new basketball/baseball complex right there. Re-route regent underground for a small stretch to extend the complex into the fields next to the Business school.

Most importantly, promise Prime he can coach football AND baseball. Give him 100mil. Done.

Definitely a good use of that 10 bil investment. 8 times per year.
Clearly, you haven't ridden the light rail previously. Jump on it sometime around 7:30 am at the Lincoln Station and ride it downtown.

Then consider all the development that has been created around each stop and the demographic it serves.

Public transportation projects aren't meant to be directly profitable, but they have huge economic impacts to the community.

I think the focus should be on improvements rather than expanding capacity in any significant way. Folsom has proven to be the perfect size for this market for decades. There's a limited footprint here and I think the west side should focus more on amenities/concessions than adding a huge number of seats.

I think the focus should be on improvements rather than expanding capacity in any significant way. Folsom has proven to be the perfect size for this market for decades. There's a limited footprint here and I think the west side should focus more on amenities/concessions than adding a huge number of seats.
The problem with staying at 55k or whatever becomes the revenue gap between CU and most B1G and SEC programs simply due to the stadium size differences. Conservatively, with around 20k fewer seats than the average big time programs, that would be $2m per game less if the average ticket costs $100/game, or $12-$14m/season just in ticket revenue. Add merch, food and bev sales to that and you're probably looking at another $10-$15m/season for a total of around $25-$30m/year gap.

Now you look at a stadium like Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Bama, Texas, LSU, etc that are all in the 80-100k range and that revenue gap is possibly doubled. Forget TV contracts for a second, if you want to compete with the top programs in the country, an increase in capacity is an absolute necessity.

Of course this all assumes the demand is going to be there to fill 70-75k seats for 6-7 games every year.

West stands need renovation. Balch is probably becoming a safety hazard. Must address it. A west stands redesign might add 10-15k bringing capacity to 60-65k. That feels right.

At $50 per ticket average, every 1k in capacity is $300-350k in additional base revenue per season.

Add 15k and we're talking around $5M in new base revenue before we even start talking about concessions, parking and donations increases attached to that number along with what would likely be a windfall from new premium boxes (for which there's a huge wait list right now).

At $50 per ticket average, every 1k in capacity is $300-350k in additional base revenue per season.

Add 15k and we're talking around $5M in new base revenue before we even start talking about concessions, parking and donations increases attached to that number along with what would likely be a windfall from new premium boxes (for which there's a huge wait list right now).
More suites? Absolutely. Chairbacks on the west side between the 20s? Absolutely. These will have a negligible impact on actual capacity but will result in more revenue.

Also, you make more money by selling 50k tickets at a $100 per ticket average than 65k at $75. Scarcity creates demand.

The problem with staying at 55k or whatever becomes the revenue gap between CU and most B1G and SEC programs simply due to the stadium size differences. Conservatively, with around 20k fewer seats than the average big time programs, that would be $2m per game less if the average ticket costs $100/game, or $12-$14m/season just in ticket revenue. Add merch, food and bev sales to that and you're probably looking at another $10-$15m/season for a total of around $25-$30m/year gap.

Now you look at a stadium like Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Bama, Texas, LSU, etc that are all in the 80-100k range and that revenue gap is possibly doubled. Forget TV contracts for a second, if you want to compete with the top programs in the country, an increase in capacity is an absolute necessity.

Of course this all assumes the demand is going to be there to fill 70-75k seats for 6-7 games every year.

Not disagreeing with you guys here, rather adding an additional layer of color:

I would estimate that constructing somewhere around 15k in additional new seating, would cost about $150M+ with todays construction costs being where they are, and the presumption that the existing Folsom structure would require substantial structural upgrades in order to accommodate such an expansion. What happens if CP leaves after 3-5 years? Do we really have faith in CU leadership to keep this thing moving the way that it should in order to keep these seats full and repay this cost? My PTSD tells me to not trust them...

More suites? Absolutely. Chairbacks on the west side between the 20s? Absolutely. These will have a negligible impact on actual capacity but will result in more revenue.

Also, you make more money by selling 50k tickets at a $100 per ticket average than 65k at $75. Scarcity creates demand.
Cheap seats create energy. We don't want to turn our home games into a Stanford type crowd. I think you need an expanded student section, creation of a family seating area, and a full 2nd deck around the entire stadium for value priced seats working class folks (most of us) can afford.

I think both of you are right.

CU will need to phase construction and be mindful of how many seats they add so that they can keep demand high. They 50k is likely too small and Folsom needs some modernization upgrades in a big way. 65k is likely too many. I don't know where the sweet spot is, but somewhere between 57k and 60k.

I would estimate that constructing somewhere around 15k in additional new seating, would cost about $150M+ with todays construction costs being where they are, and the presumption that the existing Folsom structure would require substantial structural upgrades in order to accommodate such an expansion. What happens if CP leaves after 3-5 years? Do we really have faith in CU leadership to keep this thing moving the way that it should in order to keep these seats full and repay this cost? My PTSD tells me to not trust them...
Prepare for success. I'd say if they're making plans based on "let's make sure to renovate with an eye to it making sense if we suck & can't sell more than 40k tickets" then that's the mentality which directly leads to sucking and struggling to sell more than 40k tickets.

Prepare for success. I'd say if they're making plans based on "let's make sure to renovate with an eye to it making sense if we suck & can't sell more than 40k tickets" then that's the mentality which directly leads to sucking and struggling to sell more than 40k tickets.
Oh, I agree with you. My point is that I haven't agreed with them until the last year. We've been planning on filling ~40k seats or less since the inception of this program.

I would estimate that constructing somewhere around 15k in additional new seating, would cost about $150M+ with todays construction costs being where they are, and the presumption that the existing Folsom structure would require substantial structural upgrades in order to accommodate such an expansion. What happens if CP leaves after 3-5 years? Do we really have faith in CU leadership to keep this thing moving the way that it should? My PTSD tells me to not trust them...
How long do you expect Todd Saliman to be University President? It's true that this is all a Prime creation right now, but do you think people are buying tickets to come see Prime coach or see great players and a good to great team play? What about 2016 and the couple sell outs that season? This state has shown it will majorly support a winning CU football program. Hiring Prime just allowed the University to skip the slow build and gradual increase in support and donations.

Obviously it would be ideal if they consulted Prime on his priorities for the program, stadium improvement, facilities, etc and got some kind of commitment from him to stick around for a while, but as long as Todd Saliman is running things and hires a pro athletics Chancellor to succeed DiStefano, I see CU willing to commit to football excellence.

Don’t forget that at least 5k of whatever capacity increase we do will have to be student seats.

How long do you expect Todd Saliman to be University President? It's true that this is all a Prime creation right now, but do you think people are buying tickets to come see Prime coach or see great players and a good to great team play? What about 2016 and the couple sell outs that season? This state has shown it will majorly support a winning CU football program. Hiring Prime just allowed the University to skip the slow build and gradual increase in support and donations.

Obviously it would be ideal if they consulted Prime on his priorities for the program, stadium improvement, facilities, etc and got some kind of commitment from him to stick around for a while, but as long as Todd Saliman is running things and hires a pro athletics Chancellor to succeed DiStefano, I see CU willing to commit to football excellence.
People are currently buying tickets because Prime has made CU the center of the sports world, and people want to see the show. Would elevated interest continue if Prime leaves and we maintain a really competitive program? yes. At the same level? I don't know, and a lot of that depends on how many new fans are created during Prime's tenure (much like CU created a bunch of new life long fans when Mac was here). But you hit at the core question I am asking, which is, how much faith do we have in CU leadership to sustain this after he leaves. I honestly cannot answer that question with any level of confidence. Maybe you guys know more about it then I do.

They at least need to preserve the view from the champions center and coaches offices - those are big recruiting tools in all the team videos and recruit photos.
I can buy that. But as I said, adding 10-15 rows to the South stands wouldn’t have a discernible impact on that view. Those offices are pretty high.

People are currently buying tickets because Prime has made CU the center of the sports world, and people want to see the show. Would elevated interest continue if Prime leaves and we maintain a really competitive program? yes. At the same level? I don't know, and a lot of that depends on how many new fans are created during Prime's tenure (much like CU created a bunch of new life long fans when Mac was here). But you hit at the core question I am asking, which is, how much faith do we have in CU leadership to sustain this after he leaves. I honestly cannot answer that question with any level of confidence. Maybe you guys know more about it then I do.
I certainly don't know more about it than you, but I guess I don't know why Todd Saliman would change his stance and commitment in a post-Prime era. Also, I'm not sure sustaining what is happening right now should be an expectation in the post-Prime world. This is a unicorn situation that would be abnormal for pretty much every program in the country. As nik said, prepare for success. IMO, continuing to go all in with football by increasing capacity (among other things) might be the exact mentality that keeps Prime here.

A million people use RTD light rail every month, it’s not just Bronco games.
I saw a figure, don't know how current, that said that 38% of the people who work in downtown Denver get there using mass transit. Spend a few minutes walking around Union Station at rush hour and it is easy to believe.

Try to imagine where people would drive and park if even half of that 38% were using cars.

Denver and the metro area are not going to to pave themselves out of the transportation issue. If you want a healthy downtown, if you want functioning major arteries for traffic in the city, then public transit is critical.

When the first light rail line was built due to political pressure from those opposed it went from what was for all practical purposes nowhere to nowhere. 30th & Downing to I-25 & Broadway. Ridership immediately exceeded even the highest expectations.

Second line built, along Santa Fe to Downtown, again a route that missed significant population areas by more that convenient walking distance immediately doubled the highest ridership expectations.

Each line opened since has has ridership that easily justifies construction.

No light rail isn't going to make a profit or even "pay for itself." Construction is expensive and requires subsidies. Don't forget though that building and maintaining highways isn't free either. In the long run developing public transit cost less and has a greater positive impact on the city.

If you look at that Santa Fe route since construction has filled in with huge numbers of housing units, made much more attractive and valuable because of access to transit.

There's validity to this strategy. In 2015, the California Los Angeles Anaheim Angels found that charging higher prices, even with lower attendance, generated more revenue than a packed house with cheap tickets. Now, the Angels are a garbage organization, but if you're just focused on revenue, this seems to work. However, as Nik points out, the fan experience and game atmosphere in college football is critical. I'd rather have a full house like we saw on Saturday with an electric atmosphere than a dead stadium 3/4 full of boring Orange County ****ers. Even if that means less revenue. Find other ways to generate it. There's no faster way to alienate our new fans than to price them out.

“We’re taking a different strategy this year. We’re getting a higher yield per ticket, selling less tickets, making a little bit more money than we did last year.

“The conventional wisdom would tell you, ‘Let’s get the bodies in here, because they’re still gonna be spending money on parking, hot dogs, souvenirs, all that stuff.’ But we have not seen that in the past. Drawing in a discount buyer, they aren’t necessarily flipping and buying stuff here.”

Put another way, the Angels are eschewing the cheap seats in favor of luxury sections. They are thinking less about fans who pay for $10 tickets than fans who make advance dinner reservations for the Diamond Club Restaurant.

There's validity to this strategy. In 2015, the California Los Angeles Anaheim Angels found that charging higher prices, even with lower attendance, generated more revenue than a packed house with cheap tickets. Now, the Angels are a garbage organization, but if you're just focused on revenue, this seems to work. However, as Nik points out, the fan experience and game atmosphere in college football is critical. I'd rather have a full house like we saw on Saturday with an electric atmosphere than a dead stadium 3/4 full of boring Orange County ****ers. Even if that means less revenue. Find other ways to generate it. There's no faster way to alienate our new fans than to price them out.

“We’re taking a different strategy this year. We’re getting a higher yield per ticket, selling less tickets, making a little bit more money than we did last year.

“The conventional wisdom would tell you, ‘Let’s get the bodies in here, because they’re still gonna be spending money on parking, hot dogs, souvenirs, all that stuff.’ But we have not seen that in the past. Drawing in a discount buyer, they aren’t necessarily flipping and buying stuff here.”

Put another way, the Angels are eschewing the cheap seats in favor of luxury sections. They are thinking less about fans who pay for $10 tickets than fans who make advance dinner reservations for the Diamond Club Restaurant.
I've been critical of how expensive CU tickets have been for years. They're consistently some of the most expensive in the conference, even before this year's insanity. However, Nik was making an argument about revenue and I was looking at it through that lens. Personally I'd take a sellout 100 times out of 100 even if it means slightly less money, because I'm a fan and not an accountant.

I've been critical of how expensive CU tickets have been for years. They're consistently some of the most expensive in the conference, even before this year's insanity. However, Nik was making an argument about revenue and I was looking at it through that lens. Personally I'd take a sellout 100 times out of 100 even if it means slightly less money, because I'm a fan and not an accountant.
My argument was based on only making an average of $50 per ticket from stadium expansion, though.

I believe that a sports stadium atmosphere has an indirect impact on revenue which I didn't mention. A loud, energetic, large crowd makes the club & box more valuable to the well heeled fans, creates scarcity there, and drives up those prices. And those premium seats are an absolute cash cow.

Back