What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches)/ #17 (NET rankings) Men's bball on the road vs. #124 (NET) UCLA (L.A., Thurs., 1/30, 9:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

Are you still on this? Man you are insufferable. I don't even know what to say to the first question. I'm guessing you've never done any coaching or had any leadership role. Sometimes your team has ****ty practices. It's beyond frustrating. But you're so smart, why don't you tell me how exactly you fix having a ****ty practice. Because I've tried a whole bunch of things. And it's hard. Different kids react to different things. Some kids respond right away after you make them run lines. Others check out. It's a difficult balance.

As for your 2nd point, Lucas was on Smith pretty much every time Lucas was in the game. Lucas didn't play well yesterday. So I don't know what game you were watching. I actually agree with you that Ty should have been on him more. Where should you bring the double from Einstein? Because it wasn't like they were running Smith off in the pick and roll. Sometimes you just gotta man the **** up and say this guy isn't going to get by me as a defender. We were not successful at that yesterday. Are the players responsible for any mistakes in your mind? Lastly, Smith deserves a lot of credit. He made some difficult shots. 30 points worth of difficult shots? Of course not. There were lapses. But you know, the other team has scholarship players too. ****.
I always thought message boards were where people discussed the game, before, during, even, GASP, AFTER.

I, and I assume you, don't get paid almost $2 million a year to coach. Tad does. Maybe he should know how to fix having ****ty practices. This team has been together as a whole for 2+ years now. He should know how his different players react.

Smith played 38 minutes. Lucas played 21. I didn't see him on smith more than 4-5 times. Ty twice. What I remember seeing was a lot of D'Shawn on him (well, usually behind him). Hell, there were 2-3 times we had Kin on him.

I believe we've played some zone this year. Good way to take away that one guy that keeps beating you, especially since he wasn't killing us from 3.

Are the players responsible for mistakes? Yes. For not making adjustments? No - that's the coaches job.

Shrug, no disrespect meant, but I couldn’t disagree more. Villanova just won 2 out of 3 titles. Last year, the final four had Virginia, Texas Tech, and Auburn. Right now, Baylor is ranked first and SDSU, FSU, Dayton, Villanova, and Seton Hall are in the top 10. Kentucky is ranked 13th, UNC is unranked, and Duke lost to SFA at home.

The blue bloods are probably the weakest they‘ve ever been because of one and dones. Whether a PAC 12 team other than Nike U can mount a realistic shot at a championship remains to be seen, but if ever there was a time, it would be now.
Interesting points. So question, does this translate into a legitimate opportunity for the Buffs to grab the national title with or without Tad at the helm?

I always thought message boards were where people discussed the game, before, during, even, GASP, AFTER.

I, and I assume you, don't get paid almost $2 million a year to coach. Tad does. Maybe he should know how to fix having ****ty practices. This team has been together as a whole for 2+ years now. He should know how his different players react.

Smith played 38 minutes. Lucas played 21. I didn't see him on smith more than 4-5 times. Ty twice. What I remember seeing was a lot of D'Shawn on him (well, usually behind him). Hell, there were 2-3 times we had Kin on him.

I believe we've played some zone this year. Good way to take away that one guy that keeps beating you, especially since he wasn't killing us from 3.

Are the players responsible for mistakes? Yes. For not making adjustments? No - that's the coaches job.

This is actually a reasonable post that I'll engage with that isn't based on ridiculous overreactions. I mean, you did say "Lucas was never on him". Which you knew was untrue. Lucas was on him pretty much every minute Lucas was on the floor in the second half. He was on him WAY more than 4-5 times. There were some cross matches in transition. That happens.

I'm adamantly against playing zone in a game where you are already getting your ass kicked on the glass. It's harder to rebound out of the zone. Others have a different opinion on that, but that's a philosophical difference. It's reasonable to suggest it might have slowed Smith, it wouldn't have helped the rebounding problem at all.

Do you really think we made no adjustments? Really? Because I saw a WAY different team in the 2nd half, that fell short at the end. We weren't inititiating offense 35 feet from the basket like we were in the first half. When we got it to 4 with about 5 minutes left I thought we were going to win. After the first 6 minutes or so in the first half, it looked more likely that we'd get blown out of the gym than have a chance to win the game. But, sure, no adjustments were made at all. You keep thinking that.

This is actually a reasonable post that I'll engage with that isn't based on ridiculous overreactions. I mean, you did say "Lucas was never on him". Which you knew was untrue. Lucas was on him pretty much every minute Lucas was on the floor in the second half. He was on him WAY more than 4-5 times. There were some cross matches in transition. That happens.

I'm adamantly against playing zone in a game where you are already getting your ass kicked on the glass. It's harder to rebound out of the zone. Others have a different opinion on that, but that's a philosophical difference. It's reasonable to suggest it might have slowed Smith, it wouldn't have helped the rebounding problem at all.

Do you really think we made no adjustments? Really? Because I saw a WAY different team in the 2nd half, that fell short at the end. We weren't inititiating offense 35 feet from the basket like we were in the first half. When we got it to 4 with about 5 minutes left I thought we were going to win. After the first 6 minutes or so in the first half, it looked more likely that we'd get blown out of the gym than have a chance to win the game. But, sure, no adjustments were made at all. You keep thinking that.
Along the adjustments line of thought, if you're already getting your ass kicked in rebounding, what's it going to hurt to try? I do agree it's harder to rebound, but since we really weren't doing a good job of it . . .

I'd also like to point out that adjustments can be made in game. You don't have to wait until half time. You can call a timeout or even just make them when you have players on the bench. We've seen other teams do it to us - it's not like OSU came out in the 1-3-1 and press after half-time. They did it with 7 to go.

What was our offensive gameplan last night?

Your “$hitty practices” comments are super annoying man.

1. Tad’s comments were clearly to motivate the team.
2. The standard has obviously been raised, I can guarantee that the “$hitty” practice Tad referred to was in the context to a Conference Champion caliber team. Had we had the same practice two years ago, he probably would have thought it was a great practice.

So obviously it was a subpar practice for our current standards, and unfortunately it led to us playing a terrible first half. Shame on Tad, for trying to motivate the team, and somehow not getting a bunch of 20 year olds to play to their top level for the full 40 minutes. Take his whistle and send Tad packing.

And Kudos to you for reading the same article we all did, and then harping on it incessantly like you’re on some inside info. Every team has bad practices, every coach tells their team when they suck.

The best thing Buffy can do is go out and win a sat night road game we all think they are going to lose. Shut those of us up that think they only win at home and are going down in the first round again.

Hello everyone and welcome to the basketball forum. So nice to see you during a frustrating road loss. Let's check on some past attendance and participation in this forum, particularly the game thread where we beat ASU on the road.

CU on the road. They just don’t show up.

You showed up one time in the ASU Game Thread early in the game and said, "Road CU has showed up I see." No further posts. **** off.

I admittedly skip thru the first 10 minutes of games ... but this is the worst I’ve seen us play.

You showed up once in the ASU thread, post game, and complimented the win, which is great! The problem, and the reason you get so much ****, is that you tend to be way more vocal of your negatives and are much more scarce during wins.

11 mins in and 10 pts.....**** , come on.

You made a post or two during the ASU game, but didn't celebrate the road win. Weird.

Tqd waiting til 14-0 run for a timeout

On the road

With a team fighting some sort of illness/issue

Good ****ing choice

Glad we've made back those points

Wait....

You made one post in the ASU thread talking about one of their players. Said nothing about our team or the great road win. Way more vocal about the negatives during a loss. Weird.

Anyone with half a brain knew we would lose this game. How sadly predictable we lay an egg on the road vs a crap team

Noticeably absent from the ASU win thread.

Wow, looking like another one and done tourney. To me, Tad allowed UCLA to jump on us. 1. Schwartz didnt start (discipline maybe?). 2. Gatling running point to start the game (quick turnover to set the tone). 3. Why do we run offense so freaking slow on the road, no conviction to accomplishing anything. 4. HELPSIDE DEFENSE was absolutely terrible. Smith eats us up and no answers. Wow. A terrinle team full of freshman beat us up. I promise you I've see better Rec teams than UCLA. I'm going to drink heavy before watching the USC game.

In the ASU thread, but only with negative takes. Weird.

You guys on this board are a little rougher on individual players than I'm accustomed to, but I've been watching CU-BB for a really long time. Here's what I see with this of the scholarship guys, the best Boyle team in 4-5 years:
  • These guys are top 25-caliber players: Wright, Bey, Schwartz, Battey, Siewert.
  • These guys are not, assuming (as I assume) they won't improve much here: Gatling, Kountz, Strating, Walton, Ryder
  • TBD on these guys: Daniels, Barthelemy, Dombek
Debatable about Walton. He has zero leg strength. It was worth the gamble and he may improve, but right now as a Junior he does not help us.

That is 5 of our 13 guys who seem to be clear contenders on a tourney worthy team. 38%. Not good enough.

I like Tad. Good man. He coaches well. Does not recruit well.

And so there we are. Not really that big of an improvement over any past coaches. We have perfected mediocrity.

We'll win 21ish games and sneak into the dance as a low seed, which is enough to satisfy everyone here because CU was bad at basketball for four decades and we all need to accept mediocrity because of that. I kind of wanted more this year in what was was supposed to be our best team ever. I think it comes down to this fanbase and administration not really caring about basketbal. CU is a "football" school that's terrible at football.

You had one post in the ASU win thread, but it wasn't even about the game. Weird.

CU are the biggest paper tiger in college basketball. No tourney games in Boulder and no chance to advance. Some hypotheticals:

CBS: CU (6) vs Memphis (11) in the Loo. Colorado would lose that game by 20 points. Penny is so bored he tries to pay 5 people in the stands to coach halfway through.

ESPN: Colorado (6) vs Rhode Island (11) @ Cleveland. (Rhody beat Memphis in this scenario ) Former William & Mary gunner David Cox and his crew would come out after that big win and CU would start 0-8 and lose in the most boring game ever. Oh sorry the second worst after that loss to Pitt 77-49.

Fantasy gurus: Colorado (4) VS New Mexico State (11) @ Sac. NMSU comes out sharp shooting and everyone and their mother brags they had the game picked correctly.

Testudo: Colorado (5) vs Tulsa (12) @ Sac. Tulsa, coming off a recent road win at UCONN and a beat down at home of Memphis by 40 points, rolls in with Jeriah Horne and Martins Igbanu and beats CU by 50. 88-38. OK, there's still next year.

Bracket Busts AKA the (highly accurate) Dolly Parton blog: Colorado (5) vs Liberty (12) @ Greensboro. Just think of the excuses as lighting quick Guards Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz and Caleb Holmesley shred the Buffs. "WAH. The game started too early." Liberty are 20-3 at this point mind you with a bad loss to the Stetson Mad Hatters but a win over LSU etc.

Bleacher Report: (5) Colorado vs (12) Akron @ Sac. Non Italian Zips hung in there with WVU and Louisville and have a monster (and I mean a monster) in Loren Jackson who would be by far the best player on the court.The excuses? Game started too late? Sacramento is a dump? Help me out here.

Bracketville: Colorado (7) vs Memphis (10) @ Albany. This will not exactly be a hot ticket in the 518.

SB Nation: Colorado (6) vs Oklahoma (11) @ The Loo. Hanging in there with Wichita State and Baylor, getting pounded like my high school classmate Joanna Angel (nee Mostov) by Kansas and Iowa State. I mean would you really be confident in this? Doolittle does a lot and the excuses are legendary on Allbuffs.

Andy Katz: Colorado (6) VS Memphis (11). Penny is like "How many times do we have to play these mother-fu-****s?" But seriously Boogie Ellis goes buck and they win.

Mel Kiper: Getting squeezed out by Todd McShay has Mad Mel doing brackets. Colorado (8) go to Spokane where they mauled by Texas Tech (9).

You made one post game comment complimenting the win in the ASU thread. Weird to take so much time for such a **** post here.

All you ****heads saying we're so bad on the road, but are largely absent and uncomplimentary when we win. Odds-makers also disagree with you. We were 4 point favorites against UCLA and are only 1 point dogs for tonight against USC. So yeah, the UCLA loss sucks and was disappointing, but there are always disappointing road losses for all college basketball teams. Enjoy the wins more. Don't be such dicks and only show up during losses.

Izzo and MSU are 5.5 point favorites on the road vs a bad Wisconsin team and were down 16 at half. You better go to their board and let them all know how **** the team is on the road.

See you in the game thread tonight! Now **** off.

And Villanova, Seton Hall both just lost non close HOME games. We all agree the ucla loss was disappointing, would've like to have seen effort in first half that we saw most of second half.

And Villanova, Seton Hall both just lost non close HOME games. We all agree the ucla loss was disappointing, would've like to have seen effort in first half that we saw most of second half.

Butler just lost at home too.

Just saw the recording, and yeah, frustrating loss. Oh well...annoying, but on to the next game.

So zandibuff is just a complete joke, but to the rest of you that are super critical of our Buffs men's team, you guys should consider following more college bball or another team in addition to the Buffs. I couldn't imagine how you guys would react as a fan of a top program. I'll go with Duke, even though you likely hate them but out of my familiarity. You'd whine about how we've had top recruiting classes, but we haven't won in four years. The '15 chip was sort of a fluke gathering of great recruits, which is a gamble Coach K has done and made following the team less enjoyable. The '10 chip was a fluke that we won just due to NCAA matchups. Coach K needs to let go, we haven't developed enough top 4 star guys to compete year in and year out. Too many recruits don't live up to their billing. Coach K is too loyal to his players in making up his staff. How can we lose to SF Austin and Clemson?!?! Blahblahblahblahblah...

Seriously - the loss sucked, some criticisms are legit, but damn the excessive negativity and bitching...Let's support the team a little and have some perspective. This team has still put together a really good season so far. Go Buffs!

Hello everyone and welcome to the basketball forum. So nice to see you during a frustrating road loss. Let's check on some past attendance and participation in this forum, particularly the game thread where we beat ASU on the road.

You showed up one time in the ASU Game Thread early in the game and said, "Road CU has showed up I see." No further posts. **** off.

You showed up once in the ASU thread, post game, and complimented the win, which is great! The problem, and the reason you get so much ****, is that you tend to be way more vocal of your negatives and are much more scarce during wins.

You made a post or two during the ASU game, but didn't celebrate the road win. Weird.

You made one post in the ASU thread talking about one of their players. Said nothing about our team or the great road win. Way more vocal about the negatives during a loss. Weird.

In the ASU thread, but only with negative takes. Weird.

You had one post in the ASU win thread, but it wasn't even about the game. Weird.

You made one post game comment complimenting the win in the ASU thread. Weird to take so much time for such a **** post here.

All you ****heads saying we're so bad on the road, but are largely absent and uncomplimentary when we win. Odds-makers also disagree with you. We were 4 point favorites against UCLA and are only 1 point dogs for tonight against USC. So yeah, the UCLA loss sucks and was disappointing, but there are always disappointing road losses for all college basketball teams. Enjoy the wins more. Don't be such dicks and only show up during losses.

Izzo and MSU are 5.5 point favorites on the road vs a bad Wisconsin team and were down 16 at half. You better go to their board and let them all know how **** the team is on the road.

See you in the game thread tonight! Now **** off.
1580618339386.png

CU on the road. They just don’t show up.

**** you

Tqd waiting til 14-0 run for a timeout

On the road

With a team fighting some sort of illness/issue

Good ****ing choice

Glad we've made back those points

Wait....

**** you

We're a bubble team again.

**** you.
Tad with no counter to Smith. Let him score at will.

Lucas can't hit the broad side of a barn, keep feeding him.

Great game plan.

Tonight will end any conversation of regular season championship.
**** you.
Well, there goes the ranking again.
**** you.
Most of this board basically guaranteed this game. 6 of our next 10 are on the road. How can anyone guarantee anything?
**** you.
This team is just like all Tad teams. Good at home. A complete crap shoot on the road.
**** you.
Not every team. Sure, every team wins more at home. But the stats show - and they are shown almost every game we play on the road - that we are below the curve on the road. Why do we continue to be just fine losing to teams we should absolutely beat, just cuz it’s a road game and “every team loses on the road?” That’s ****ing garbage.
**** you.
Being ranked was fun, and cute.

Not playing the first weekend in Vegas was a fantasy.

Being a legit pac12 team was a pipe dream

No adjustments

No plan

No ****ing attitude, no desire to be a contender
**** you.
I fully expect to beat USC by 18 now.
You’re cool.
We're gonna get boat raced by SC
**** you.
We aren't beating U$C and we aren't going to contend for the regular season title.

Again.

Ever.
**** you.
Wow, looking like another one and done tourney. To me, Tad allowed UCLA to jump on us. 1. Schwartz didnt start (discipline maybe?). 2. Gatling running point to start the game (quick turnover to set the tone). 3. Why do we run offense so freaking slow on the road, no conviction to accomplishing anything. 4. HELPSIDE DEFENSE was absolutely terrible. Smith eats us up and no answers. Wow. A terrinle team full of freshman beat us up. I promise you I've see better Rec teams than UCLA. I'm going to drink heavy before watching the USC game.
**** you.
When did I say the season is over? For ****s sake! I said we won’t be ranked after this week. And that 6 of our next 10 are on the road. So nothing’s guaranteed. That’s it.
Some of you clowns just make **** up.
**** you.
This team, yet again, went into a game "knowing" they were going to win.

Tad did nothing to limit this, did nothing to prepare the team to win.

Team did NOTHING to stop Smith. ****ING NOTHING.

Gonna get ****ed by usc

Gonna lose 1 more at home

High ncaa seed done.

Enjoy the hand wringing / seed hoping that we don't get the 8/9 seed in the #1 seed bracket
**** you.
We won’t be in the top 25 after this week, unless we pull a HUGE upset Saturday. And with 6 of 10 on the road down the stretch, we might not be again.

But like I said, “some years flirting with the Dance”. So better than middling. Which would be this year. But maybe your bias didn’t allow you to see that part.

CU are the biggest paper tiger in college basketball. No tourney games in Boulder and no chance to advance. Some hypotheticals:

CBS: CU (6) vs Memphis (11) in the Loo. Colorado would lose that game by 20 points. Penny is so bored he tries to pay 5 people in the stands to coach halfway through.

ESPN: Colorado (6) vs Rhode Island (11) @ Cleveland. (Rhody beat Memphis in this scenario ) Former William & Mary gunner David Cox and his crew would come out after that big win and CU would start 0-8 and lose in the most boring game ever. Oh sorry the second worst after that loss to Pitt 77-49.

Fantasy gurus: Colorado (4) VS New Mexico State (11) @ Sac. NMSU comes out sharp shooting and everyone and their mother brags they had the game picked correctly.

Testudo: Colorado (5) vs Tulsa (12) @ Sac. Tulsa, coming off a recent road win at UCONN and a beat down at home of Memphis by 40 points, rolls in with Jeriah Horne and Martins Igbanu and beats CU by 50. 88-38. OK, there's still next year.

Bracket Busts AKA the (highly accurate) Dolly Parton blog: Colorado (5) vs Liberty (12) @ Greensboro. Just think of the excuses as lighting quick Guards Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz and Caleb Holmesley shred the Buffs. "WAH. The game started too early." Liberty are 20-3 at this point mind you with a bad loss to the Stetson Mad Hatters but a win over LSU etc.

Bleacher Report: (5) Colorado vs (12) Akron @ Sac. Non Italian Zips hung in there with WVU and Louisville and have a monster (and I mean a monster) in Loren Jackson who would be by far the best player on the court.The excuses? Game started too late? Sacramento is a dump? Help me out here.

Bracketville: Colorado (7) vs Memphis (10) @ Albany. This will not exactly be a hot ticket in the 518.

SB Nation: Colorado (6) vs Oklahoma (11) @ The Loo. Hanging in there with Wichita State and Baylor, getting pounded like my high school classmate Joanna Angel (nee Mostov) by Kansas and Iowa State. I mean would you really be confident in this? Doolittle does a lot and the excuses are legendary on Allbuffs.

Andy Katz: Colorado (6) VS Memphis (11). Penny is like "How many times do we have to play these mother-fu-****s?" But seriously Boogie Ellis goes buck and they win.

Mel Kiper: Getting squeezed out by Todd McShay has Mad Mel doing brackets. Colorado (8) go to Spokane where they mauled by Texas Tech (9).
**** you.

I’m out.

Back