What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #24 (AP & Coaches')/ #17 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #148 (NET) Cal (Boulder, Thurs., 2/6, 6:00 PM, Pac 12 Networks)

If my Bears don’t lose by double digits, I’ll be shocked.
Shut the **** up and stay in your lane, you can’t just come in here and try to bwalk the whole ****ing thing.

Haven’t read the whole thread yet, but I was right. We let this dude come in here and bwalk his team into a single digit loss. Lucky he wasn’t more aggressive to pull the win off, but it should teach us not to trust these opposing fans with their bwalk attempts

Great question
Because Cal was small, we acquiesce and also play small! Tad, we are the bully, we are the boss. Walton could have had 8-10 points inside against smaller players! Weak sauce coaching especially if Battey and Siewert we off.
Good win otherwise!
Go Buffs
Cal is about the same size as we are. Their best 3 point shooter was a guy about the same size as Lucas. They didn’t play through the post at all on offense. Not a good matchup for Dallas at all.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thing, but I have 2 quick observations

1. Bey is a beast when he wants to be.

2. That drive from Boulder to Aurora SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED

Was not pretty, but sure glad we got the win! Cal controlled the pace which seemed to zap some our energy. Seems we cant shoot unless we're dialed into a team, maybe looking forward to Stanford. Pick n roll defense was a problem, especially in the 1st half. Too many open jumpers off of help I still would like to see CU hard trap the pick n roll sometimes, just to mix things up at least.

Bey and Kin bailed us out. Schwartz played decent. I thought the refs allowed Cal to play more physical than CU. Cal got away with several hand checks on drives and holds down low, but Battey got a foul every time he took a breath.

I am getting annoyed of our mid game antics. Pumping our chest, flexing, laughing, etc, whenever we dunk, make a 3... we are getting taken to the brink of the Game by lowly Cal and we're apparently having a good ole time... ugh... Games not over, get your azz back and focus on defense.

This team needs no begin playing with consistency. Bad game.....Good game.....Bad game.....Good game is getting really old and in the tournaments you can only have good games or you’re done.

This team needs no begin playing with consistency. Bad game.....Good game.....Bad game.....Good game is getting really old and in the tournaments you can only have good games or you’re done.
Good news is that lately the bad games tend to be lesser teams where the Buffs tend to let down their guard (@Kansas is completely forgivable and UNI is just a good team). In the Dance, they're pretty much all good teams and this squad seems to take tournaments seriously. I have faith in Kin & Battey to push their teammates hard in Vegas and beyond.

/brightside

The pattern is consistent

It seems that every weekend is a combo of one good game and one stinker.

Hopefully we got the stinker out of the way and still won.

Last edited:
I am getting annoyed of our mid game antics. Pumping our chest, flexing, laughing, etc, whenever we dunk, make a 3... we are getting taken to the brink of the Game by lowly Cal and we're apparently having a good ole time... ugh... Games not over, get your azz back and focus on defense.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. The time it takes to chest flex, is time the player should be running down court or looking for a steal, etc. 1/2 second is big time in hoops. Plus, I hate showing off, bragging anytime, but especially when you can still lose.
I like Strating, but I would have played DW some, if he was ready to go.

I agree. The time it takes to chest flex, is time the player should be running down court or looking for a steal, etc. 1/2 second is big time in hoops. Plus, I hate showing off, bragging anytime, but especially when you can still lose.
I like Strating, but I would have played DW some, if he was ready to go.
[/QUOTE]

In fairness, when Kin did a little flex late in the game, he busted ass back down court to cut off the ball handler.

Having said that, the flexing is getting old.

Pick n roll defense was a problem, especially in the 1st half. Too many open jumpers off of help I still would like to see CU hard trap the pick n roll sometimes, just to mix things up at least.
A big problem on that is how the game is officiated. They didn't call a moving screen all night. This happens way too often in western basketball games -- though some crews strongly emphasize this and crack down. Very little consistency from game to game. Sometimes it's inconsistent during a game. When it's not being called, I want to see Tad working the officials because it makes a huge difference to our defense if the opponent can't free up its shooters by blocking our defenders.

Didn’t play good. Got the W. Moving on.

But I’m taking this moment to complain. Went to the game with my 85 year old grandfather. I usually park at the dark horse and walk from there. He shouldn’t really walk that far. We had a parking pass close. Leaving Carelli’s at about 5:40 after dinner, we finally were in our seats at the under 4 timeout about 1 hour later. The traffic control was an unmitigated disaster. I was rather pissed.
There were MANY people complaining. It was a cluster. They put us into the parking garage, sent us all the way to the top, no spots. Sent us back down ("Don't worry you'll find one") where I got one of the last 3 spots left in the bottom level. Had to be at least 30 cars behind me still looking when I parked. Don't schedule a 6:00 tip if you can't handle it logistically. And Boulder PD trying to direct just makes it worse. Bush league.

A big problem on that is how the game is officiated. They didn't call a moving screen all night. This happens way too often in western basketball games -- though some crews strongly emphasize this and crack down. Very little consistency from game to game. Sometimes it's inconsistent during a game. When it's not being called, I want to see Tad working the officials because it makes a huge difference to our defense if the opponent can't free up its shooters by blocking our defenders.
Everyone in my section was losing it over this. Moving screens, sliding into the defender and in many cases throwing out the leg when the defender was trying to get over the top, It was ridiculous and dangerous. Cal plays ****ty, boring, borderline dirty basketball.

This. So ****ing annoying to have the screener just blocking out defenders from the shooter.

Yeah, but what would Jimmy Chitwood do?
Say, "I'll make it." ? I don't have a problem with guys having fun, flexing, talking ****, whatever. As long as it doesn't take away from the end goal, not a big deal, imho.

Everyone in my section was losing it over this. Moving screens, sliding into the defender and in many cases throwing out the leg when the defender was trying to get over the top, It was ridiculous and dangerous. Cal plays ****ty, boring, borderline dirty basketball.
It's a problem in about every level of basketball anymore. The crap let go with screens is something I see in about any game I watch.

It's a problem in about every level of basketball anymore. The crap let go with screens is something I see in about any game I watch.
It's basic fundamentals, too. Screening a defender should be reliant on using the screen effectively by the guy who is trying to get free. If he leaves a gap or doesn't make a sharp cut, then he shouldn't get open. Allowing the screener to step into a defender promotes bad basketball and rewards laziness.

Back