1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maiava

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Fight CU, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Fight CU

Fight CU Club Member Club Member

The true freshman will start at left guard on Saturday per Rivals

2. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

Good for him. I won't be at all surprised to see Miller starting soon, too.

3. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

This is great news. It's been far too long since we've had a nasty-tempered Hawaiian at guard.

4. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

Yea. I'd Say! Remember Vili Mau Mau!? He was AMAZING! Let up.. god.. was it 2.. or 5 sacks in his carreer? Thats' exactly what our line needs!

5. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

I have seen him around campus and he is one big boy! The kid is gigantic and I am 100% sure he will play far beyone expectations. Good for him.

6. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Mau Mau was a defensive lineman. Perhaps you meant Chris Naeole?

7. L Buff

L Buff Law talkin' guy Club Member

:yeahthat:

8. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

In the fall scrimmage he played very well. Granted we were missing a lot of guys - but he takes care of business and plays with a mean streak. He consistently was pushing his guy backwards off of the line.

9. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

he's a tad short and from the islands so that's probably part of why he was a bit lightly regarded coming out of hs, but he plays with that nasty nasty streak you like to see in an ol.

if we had 5 guys who played as pissed off as he does, we'd have ourselves a very good o-line.

he's a frosh so he is going to make some errors, but he's got good feet and they have him inside which should help a little.

i think our ol could be quite good in the coming years. if we can just survive this year...

10. KFrank

KFrank Guest

:smile:

Dude got a tough draw for his first game.

11. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

not such a bad thing with Cody back there

12. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

I'll never forget when Naeole threatened to kick skippy's ass in the lockeroom, Rick's face turned bright red!:wow:

He played against Miami, Oh and had a couple pancake blocks, as did Ryan Miller

13. Liver

he played 40 plays v. m of o and he had 11 pancake blocks in those 40 plays. that's why he is starting this week, i suspect.

14. KFrank

KFrank Guest

Good for him, all be it against a poor D-line where the tackes were considered the weakness on the D. I think it will be a little different lining up against Granger and McCoy with a solid 4-man rotation.

15. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

Here's his HS recruiting video. Baldwin is a smaller school on the island of Maui. I like the way he finishes plays. (he's #57)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuF8i6c1EWI"]Senior Season Highlights 2006[/ame]

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Isn't Baldwin in Kihei? I can't imagine what kind of competition he saw on a regular basis playing on Maui. The whole island probably only has 100,000 full-time residents, if that.

Do the kids travel to different islands to play? That would seem pretty expensive to me if so, even with the kama aina rates.

17. KFrank

KFrank Guest

He's done well for a kid who was trying to decide between NMSU, Idaho, Idaho State, and Weber State the day before the draft. Fortunately for him, Gerhart changed his mind and Maiava has done well with the opportunity. Good Story.

OU's O-lineman Trent Williams had to start some games as a true freshman last year and did well so I know it can be done. I still think its a mismatch.

18. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I guess in Oklahoma, they call LOI day "The Draft". That explains a lot. :wow:

19. KFrank

KFrank Guest

Heh, I saw that when I posted but didn't think it was worth an edit. Obviously, I was right 'cuz you got it. :thumbsup:

20. SJBuff

SJBuff Club Member Club Member

No he's from Wailuku Maui. Usually there's not a lot of inter-island travel to play sports except for tournaments/playoffs so for the regular season they probably did a round robin of the 3-4 other schools on Maui and then hopped to Honolulu for a playoff game or two (if they're re lucky).

Because the schools are so small they have to do with the "talent" they have which creates some really bad mismatches. In the video there is a clip where Maiava is playing guard and the center next to him looks like he's 5'7" and 185. It creates a problem for the college coaches doing recruiting since it's hard to tell sometimes if the kid is really good or the competition is just really bad.
    Most of the kids coming out of Hawaii are considered "gambles" for this reason but if you're good at evaluating talent, like Cabral, there are more than a few diamonds in the rough (Dizon, Sipili, Noele, Maiava, J. Brown, Manupuna, etc.)

21. Liver

are you going to reply to every discussion on a Buffs message board with "we are still going to kick the **** out of you" or the equivalent?

i am just wondering...

i don't think anyone here has suggested that ou isn't a huge favorite and an excellent football team. but, here's the pattern:

buff a: buff player looks ok.
    buff b: yeah, he should help this saturday.
    dirt burglar: he was lightly regarded and you guys still suck.

how, exactly, are you adding anything meaningful to the discussion?

if you want to flame, go ahead and flame, don't dance around it with the "ooh, isn't it nice to see him succeed since he was such a sleeper and we have nothing but studs on our ol?" post... this condescending **** is getting old in a hurry.

22. KFrank

KFrank Guest

Dang, I thought it was a good story and gave him props.

How 'bout this: Jordon Dizon is the best linebacker OU has faced this year and will have to be accounted for on each play. I expect him to a disruptive force and to do things the Sooner O hasn't seen year to date.

23. L Buff

L Buff Law talkin' guy Club Member

See ... that wasn't so difficult, now was it? :smile2:

24. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

The one thing that jumps out from those clips is just how mean Maiava is. Damn, he's grinding everybody into the turf. Then there's the one where he looks like he's gonna punch a guy.

I'll be watching him closely on Saturday. :thumbsup:

FlatironsBuff, CUBUFF80 and El Gringo like this.
  25. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

Yo, BuffsNYC - I'll be in the Big Apple this weekend and at Turtle Bay for the game. Is that were NYC Buffs still gather? The alumni web site says so, but I have not heard back from them.

Oh, and welcome noob.

26. buffalo30

buffalo30 Active Member

Maiava's Dad is Scott Mahoney. Mahoney was an offensive lineman on our '71 team that was ranked #3 in the nation. Mahoney was one of the bigger guys back then at about 250.
    I really liked what I saw of Maiava and Miller last week. They appear to be pretty good drive blockers. This will be a good test for both of them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  27. Liver

dizon, like most of the CU defense, is a bit undersized. he has a motor that won't quit and he has a great feel for the game. he is usually in the right spot at the right time. he's one of those guys that just makes plays. he isn't particularly fast, strong, or big. but, he is relentless. lb, overall, is a big problem for CU right now. our biggest hitter, sipili, is suspended for the year. burton, another guy with b12 skills, is academically ineligible. and, our best walk-on lb (who is special teams captain) is out this weekend due to lingering issues with concussions. so, basically, we have dizon, brad jones (who is a good athlete, but doesn't yet seem to have the mental side of it down), and [insert a walk-on, true frosh, or other undersized guy here]. we are going to be playing a lot of nickel as a result.

28. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

So what your saying is ABC is gonna have good reason to switch the naitonal feed from this game to Rutgers v S Illinois at halftime.

29. KFrank

KFrank Guest

:popcorn:

30. pwbuffan

pwbuffan Member

Maiava looked really good last weekend. Hope he has a great game against the Sooners

FlatironsBuff and Highflyer like this.