1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Markques Simas

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by mcbuff, Jun 20, 2010.

1. mcbuff

mcbuff New Member

Anyone head any updates? Is he still in school and trying work his way back or did he quit the school and team?

2. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

It was very obvious from the start...espec that BDC article about Simas drawing pictures in class and stuff like that. Kid will never be serious about school...maybe it's time to cut him loose.

3. Ruckus

Ruckus Peep my words. Club Member

I hear he's looking at other schools already. Take rumor for what it is...a rumor...although I do believe it to be true.

We have other [hopefully] good receivers so I agree with Nashbuff, maybe it is time to cut him loose. He has been here four years and has played one. I'm done waiting.

4. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

apr hit is gonna suck

5. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

I have to do more reading to understand the APR --- if he is leaving while not taking any classes, why does that hurt us? Whatever his gpa was in the spring, it doesn't change.
    Do we take a hit every time a scholly kid leaves the team, regardless of their academic status?

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

APR will be a wash, with Celestine returning.

At least I think that's the way it should work.

edit: on second thought, yeah, our APR will take a hit. With Scott and Sumler leaving, that's going to leave a mark. Thanks a bunch, Hawk. I honestly wonder if he's trying to kill this program sometimes.

7. walk

walk Member

I don't understand it well either, but I think if Simas is in good academic standing when he leaves, then the apr is fine. The latest incident was not about academic standing so I assume the apr won't be hit.

IMO, Simas was by far our best WR. He'll be missed. Simmons needs to step up.

8. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

Cant make this guy give a damn, we should cut our losses and give some others a chance to step up. It's a shame but gotta move forward unless Simas is willing to change some things in his life.

9. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I thought it is was only an APR hit if a player leaves while academically ineligible.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Oh, really? Well if that's the case then we should be OK. I'll be honest and say I don't know how the system works. I assumed we took a hit any time a kid left school before getting his degree or exhausting his eligibility.

11. chipwich

chipwich Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I am not 100% sure but I don't think they want to punish a school for someone who leaves for personal reasons.

12. jjbuffs13

jjbuffs13 Well-Known Member

Sumler didnt 'leave' he actually graduated if I remember right. He is going to pursue enrolling in graduate school and using his last year of eligibility that way.

13. Buff_since76

Buff_since76 Still a fan... Club Member

"The NCAA's Academic Progress Rate awards a team two points each term for each student-athlete who meets academic-eligibility standards and remains in school. A team's APR is the total points earned at a given time divided by the total points possible. A perfect score is 1,000, and 925 is a passing grade to avoid possible penalties. The NCAA says 925 represents a 50 to 60 percent graduation rate over five years."

As long as Simas, Scott, and Summler leave/left in good academic standing they will each only cost 1 point. When Kai left the team he cost 2 points because he left and wasn't in good academic standing.

Another item that will effect the APR is how graduation went. Do we have any idea if the players who lost their eligability graduated or dropped out? Did Devon Head graduate, and if not did his ineligability get deducted from last years APR or this years?

EDIT: Since Scott & Summler announced they were leaving the team last year, did that count already in the 09-10 APR or will it hit later?

14. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

The APR is calculated by allocating points for eligibility and retention -- the two factors that research identifies as the best indicators of graduation. Each player on a given roster earns a maximum of two points per term, one for being academically eligible and one for staying with the institution. A team's APR is the total points of a team's roster at a given time divided by the total points possible. Since this results in a decimal number, the CAP decided to multiply it by 1,000 for ease of reference. Thus, a raw APR score of .925 translates into the 925 that will become the standard terminology.

Wikipedia

15. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

sumler graduated

16. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

So say a player in good academic standing leaves school early to go pro, that counts against a school's APR?!? Can that be right? Kentucky's basketball program would have like a 0 APR this year and North Carolina should be losing tons of scholarships. That can't be right.

17. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

No. If a player leaves to go pro, that is an exemption as long as they are "on track."

18. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Ok that makes sense.

Does the APR only track scholarship players, or can we load up on really smart walkons without any real athletic ability just to bring up our total points possible?

Insert "Hawk is already trying that" joke here...

19. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Apparently he wants to go the easy way at San Diego State

20. BuffLuKe

Figured he'd land somewhere like that, he isnt gonna go anywhere big when he cant stay out of trouble.

21. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

No Hawk love for Simas in Boulder.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/23/buffs-wr-simas-eyeing-a-san-diego-homecoming/

22. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

No Hawk love for Simas in Boulder.
    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/23/buffs-wr-simas-eyeing-a-san-diego-homecoming/

23. BuffLuKe

Im not gonna blame Hawk for this, Simas needs to get his head on straight. Hawk cant run a program, thats clear. You can get in trouble in San Diego just as easy. I doubt his mom will go with him to parties there. Fact is the guy ****ed up about 3 times and wants to blame it on something besides himself.

24. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

You can't say he didn't learn something from DH during hs stay in Boulder then.....

Ruckus likes this.
  25. BuffLuKe

Lol yeah. Hawk just isnt our guy no matter how u put it. My Uncle always told me no matter where u go, there your are. Transfering isnt gonna help Simas, growing up will. Hawk has done a bad job, no doubt, Simas is screwing himself period.