1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez Herrod

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Be interesting to know why our only senior defensive lineman and the team leader in sacks from 2009 hardly sees the field any more.

[​IMG]

It can't be because we are doing such a good job getting pressure on the quarterback.
    It can't be because we are doing such a good job with containment on the edge.
    It can't be because we are doing such a good job pursuing to the sideline on WR screens.

What gives?

2. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Look at that picture one more time and tell me if you seen any signs of horns being out.

3. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

I see no lunchpail, either.

4. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

Maybe he is in the doghouse? I dont really see any other explanation unless he isn't 100%?

5. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I'm 100% sure it's the doghouse

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

This could be a cinching issue. He's not cinching it up. Danny hates it when his players don't cinch it up.

7. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

you guys don't know what you are talking about. I'm pretty tight with an insider and they said the reason he is being benched is because he wanted to be the arrow and not the bow.

8. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Defensive Ends typically are an "arrow" and D-Tackles the "bow". Herrod is a good run-stopping DE but he can also provide a good pass-rush as well. Not playing him means we are now playing with a much less powerful "Bow and Arrow" set. Maybe Collins rocks at suction cup archery and plastic bows, but I would rather have an actual lethal weapon to use.

9. tante

wow dude you sure know how to kill a joke don't you.

10. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

sorry for the "kill".

chalk it up to the crappy situation we are in and being too pissed about it.

:thumbsup:

11. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

I never understand what happens to players. They'll go from being pretty good players as sophomores to end up riding the bench as seniors. Player development? Coaches doghouse?

12. lvbuff

lvbuff Well-Known Member

Maybe he told hawkins to stick it in his ass....If that is the case way to go...

13. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

He is too big. Too fast. Has too much heart.

He probably got upset after we lost to Cal. You do know it is not good to get upset at a loss? Gotta keep an even keel.

14. badfish650

badfish650 Member

Name me one player who has improved under Hawkins. That's the real issue with this staff. Barnett's guys got better and better and many of them made it to the NFL. You just don't see that with the guys we've had in here the past 5 years.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Solder...

And the list stops there, unfortunately.

16. tante

Jimmy Smith, Ray Polk, Simas, Solder (sorta)

17. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Dot worry he is pounding concrete as we speak.

18. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Once Barnett's recruiting tailed off towards the end we had zero NFL talent. How many guys were drafted by the NFL in Barnett's last years and Hawk's first years. Slim to none. This is Hawk's first recruiting class and it looks likely Solder, Jalil, Jimmy, and Scotty etc could all be drafted.

19. tante

Scotty? he doesn't have a chance of being drafted IMO. not a lot of 185 WRs with 4.7 speed in the NFL.

20. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Well-Known Member

Id rather Scotty didnt get drafted, think he would have a better shot of sticking in the league. There are more wr's in the nfl with 4.6, 4.7 speed than you think. He will get looked at, I dont have a doubt about that.

21. The Sink

The Sink New Member

22. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Hawk is a mid-major coach with a mid-major mentality who believes that he can win with mid-major kids doing it "his way." Anytime that a player seems to show himself to exceed that mid-major mentality and actually stand out then he has to be brought down because after all, nobody is bigger than the coach and his system. Can't let a WR stand out because he would become a star, can't let a running back get a rythem because he would then be "bigger" than the team (better known as the coach since it is his team.)

A lot of times the best coaches are guys who had to outwork and and out study and outprepare everyone else in order to compete. The downside of this is that these same guys seem to resent people who seem to perform based on talent.

Herrod has turned himself into a big, physical DE who is capable of making plays based on athletic ability, this doesn't fit Hawk's idea of how to win so Herrod sits along with others and the team loses because the sytem doesn't work when you aren't playing San Jose and NE Louisiana most weeks.

23. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Anyone know the real story on why Herrod isn't seeing much PT?

24. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

?? Dizon and Wheatley were both 2nd rounders? Hawk's best year was with GB players. I agree that GB's recruiting did not match what he should have been able to pull, but the cupboard was not as bare as Hawk likes to claim.

25. Follow-Rado

Follow-Rado Member

Apparently nobody knows RedDirtBuff. So therefore, they use this ver specific thread to go off in the usual ways.

26. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

I think it speaks volumes about the coaching staff and the S&C program in particular, that most of the players seem to peak during their freshman and early sophomore year and then plateau.

27. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Two players getting drafted doesn't mean Hawk inherited NFL talent. We went two years of Barnett's players not getting drafted and one with only a 7th rounder. That's terrible in terms of the history of Colorado player's getting drafted.

28. badfish650

badfish650 Member

This is more semantics. I wouldn't say they improved as a result of Hawkins so much as just being 3-4 years older than when they arrived at CU. Live reps should help improve players just by experience.