What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread-#24 Volleyball hosts Georgia (Friday, 6:00), No. Carolina, Okla. (Sat., Noon, 7:00)

Worst injury situation I've seen since following Buffs volleyball more closely the last decade or so- hopefully the young and/ or inexperienced players keep getting better each day, starting tomorrow when going up against 2 more solid teams (although neither having quite as good a season so far as Georgia).

Somehow going to have to get at least SOME block going (in spite of all the injuries in the middle), 2 in a 4 set match makes it almost impossible to win.

Worst injury situation I've seen since following Buffs volleyball more closely the last decade or so- hopefully the young and/ or inexperienced players keep getting better each day, starting tomorrow when going up against 2 more solid teams (although neither having quite as good a season so far as Georgia).

Somehow going to have to get at least SOME block going (in spite of all the injuries in the middle), 2 in a 4 set match makes it almost impossible to win.
Yup. Lack of a block tonight killed the Buffs. About half the rotations the Buffs front court had no one over 6'. Lack of height and lack of experience made the Buffs block attempts ineffectual tonight. And Georgia has good pin hitters who just had field days with our lack of a block. Danielle Price played the first 2 weekends of the season but she was on the sidelines with Naghede in sweats tonight. Don't know what her problem is but hope it get better really soon. Lack of a block will doom the Buffs season.

Watched the online broadcast. Broadcaster talked a little about the injured players, including Price. Said they hope to get Abu back in 2 to 3 weeks.

Really missing a blocker. Team hasn't looked good at blocking yet this season. Might be a long season if the situation doesn't get fixed and we may not have the bodies to fix the problem.

Watching Penn State at Stanford now. In 3rd set. Stanford is up 2-0 and leading in the 3rd. The Buffs couldn't beat either of the teams I am watching now.

Without Abu and Price, there is no middle on the team that is div 1 quality. the freshman might become one but they pulled her out and put Demure in and they started to play better. A. Smith needs to be in there more. She has some pop in her arm and gives them a weapon. Dorrell just has no explosion and maybe more consistent but I do not see much that she adds. This brings up my concerns about mahoney. Can he recruit 6'2" d1 outside hitters. That team might win in the sun belt but will get killed in the pac 12. Loosing Shebby, and Joacim and the injuries has crippled this team

Live Stats not working, but stream is.

4-4 early, with Buffs already having as many blocks (2) as all last night's match.

Edit- Live Stats ARE now working.

Buffs get the 1st set 25-14!

(Didn't report much during the set as live stats didn't seem coordinated with the stream score, the stream score stopped adding for awhile, etc., so I wasn't sure WHAT the score actually was.)

much better effort especially defensively. I thought Moger had a good game and gave the Buffs a needed middle presence. I do not think NC is as good or as physical as Georgia but a nice bounce back for sure.

Article on the win over the Tar Heels-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/8/volleyball-buffs-rebound-with-sweep-of-tarheels.aspx

"
BOULDER, Colo. — The University of Colorado women's volleyball team rebounded quickly in the 2018 Buffs Invitational Saturday afternoon with a sweep (25-14, 25-18, 25-20) of University of North Carolina. The Buffs need to catch their breath quickly as the team takes on the Sooners of the University of Oklahoma tonight in the CU Events Center at 7 p.m. The match will be streamed live on Pac-12 Plus.

The Buffs came together strong, posting its second-highest hitting percentage in a match this season at .318. Defense and good offense was the key to the victory, with CU posting seven blocks after only having a pair last night. They also held the Tarheels to just .116 hitting, a season-low for the Buffs.

Much like last night, Colorado came out very balanced in the match. Alexa Smith had a team-high 11 kills, while Justine Spann and Anyse Smith each added nine. Spann hit .500 in the match, while Anyse Smith hit .467, both having a very efficient afternoon. Jenna Ewert posted 17 assists, while Brynna DeLuzio had 16 assists.

The defense was the strong point, holding North Carolina's Destiny Cox to just three kills after she had more than 23 last night against Oklahoma. Rachel Whipple was the glue in the back row, posting 14 digs in the match, doubling the next highest Buff in digs. Up front, Lillie Klemmer made huge jumps in improvements from last night, posting five block assists. Anyse Smith added in three blocks, while Alexa Smith, Allie Moger and Lauren Dorrell each had a pair.

The Buffs Invitational is shaking up, as each team in the tournament is 1-1. Oklahoma fell to North Carolina in five last night, then took down previously-unbeaten Georgia in five tonight. North Carolina and Georgia will finish out the tournament tomorrow at 11 a.m. in the CU Events Center, with CU and OU battling it out tonight to see who will be at 2-1 for the weekend.

QUOTABLES:

Jesse Mahoney
On the offense and the match

"I thought we passed really well today. Both setters were able to set with tempo. Last night we were able to hit around .300 as well, so offensively we are doing some good things. We have lots of options there, it was nice seeing Allie Moger have some nice swings there as well. For us this season it has been about defense and game plan, which I thought we did well."

On the defensive adjustments and execution

"We have two starting middles out, so we have some kids that are kind of first-time thrown into the fire. Last night they maybe didn't play as well as we wanted to and certainly didn't block like we wanted to. I thought we did a really nice job, Lillie did a really nice job making some corrections. Allie offensively did a nice job and got into a nice rhythm defensively. We served really well so they weren't in system very much. Their outside hitters were hitting against a better formed double block and I think that was really the difference in the match."
"
________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=11331

@AztecBuff isn't Lauren Dorrell also dealing with an injury? I think that is what the announcers said last weekend. An injury to her thigh--or do I have her confused with another player?

Justine Spann's mother was on part of the broadcast. Interesting to hear her perspective as both a mom and a coach and former player.

Oklahoma lost yesterday to North Carolina in 5 sets and beat Georgia today in 5 sets. CU has to come ready to play to beat them.

@AztecBuff isn't Lauren Dorrell also dealing with an injury? I think that is what the announcers said last weekend. An injury to her thigh--or do I have her confused with another player?

Justine Spann's mother was on part of the broadcast. Interesting to hear her perspective as both a mom and a coach and former player.

Don't "know" anything about Ms. Dorrell, although I have noticed she's had a pretty serious-looking wrap on one of her upper thighs, I believe since the season has started, and I've wondered if she was near 100% or not.

much better effort especially defensively. I thought Moger had a good game and gave the Buffs a needed middle presence. I do not think NC is as good or as physical as Georgia but a nice bounce back for sure.
I talked briefly with Allie after the match. She said she was just SO nervous in yesterday's match but felt somewhat better starting today's match. And having some success made her feel even more comfortable out on the court. Good to hear since we sure can use her height out there as a blocker.

They're announcing the Buffs now, so the match against former Big 12 foe Oklahoma should be starting within a few minutes.

And the 2nd set does NOT start like the 1st- Buffs down 0-6 to start and take a timeout.

Great reaction by the Buffs as they come back and take the lead 13-11; timeout Oklahoma.

Close 3rd set most of the way, but Buffs on a small run to go up 16-12. TO oklahoma.

Buff run continuing (while Ewert is serving) puts them up 18-12. oklahoma takes its 2nd and last timeout.

Back