What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- SOCCER opens 2022 season hosting Weber State (Thurs., 8/18/22, 4:00 PM MT) & San Diego (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As usual, the soccer team starts the action for ALL CU sports as a new academic year dawns, as they host Weber State (Last season - 11-9-0 overall, 6-3 in Big Sky Conference play) Thursday at 4:00 PM MT, followed up by a Sunday 1:00 matinee against San Diego (AKA USD; Last season - 6-11-1 overall; 1-7-1 in WCC play ).

Both matches are scheduled to be on the Pac 12 Networks. (See more details near the bottom of this post.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/8/16/soccer-buffs-open-2022-campaign-on-thursday.aspx

"
BOULDER—Colorado head coach Danny Sanchez and the Colorado Buffaloes will get the 2022 season underway, hosting Weber State (4 p.m. MT) on Thursday.

Sanchez who will start his 11th season in Boulder has an arsenal at his disposal this season. The Buffs have fifth-year players Hannah Sharts, Kayleigh Webb and Hannah Cardenas back in action in 2022, along with the team's leading goal scorer from last season in Shyra James.

Matching the Buffs' returning firepower is an impressive group of newcomers to the squad. Colorado brought in the No. 8 recruiting class in the nation according to Top Drawer Soccer and they will look to contribute from the opening kick. Transfer Civana Kuhlmann choose to her home state with two NCAA championships at Stanford under her belt. Emerson Layne, Leila Lister, Josie Master and Sophia Petrov add to the depth up top this season, while Juliauna Hayward, Coco Thistle and Mallory Allen all enter the fold in the midfield. Transfer Lindsey Smith also joins the goalkeeping corps.

"We feel our depth will be key during this early stretch of the season," Sanchez explained. "There is still plenty of healthy competition within the squad and many roles are still to be defined."

CU's potential is known around the league with the Pac-12 coaches selecting the Buffaloes fifth in the standings, matching the team's highest preseason selection. The Buffs, who finished 8-7-4 last season, will be looking to make a return trop to the NCAA Tournament after falling short in 2021.

'It has been a great preseason camp," Sanchez added. "The squad has really bonded on and off the field and are very excited for our opener against Weber State. There are always growing pains once we start playing for real, but we feel we have quality all over the field to adapt."

Sanchez could hit a milestone early on this season. He finished last season with 112 career wins at CU, just two shy of tying Bill Hempen for the most in Colorado history. The Buffs are 8-0-2 in season-openers under Sanchez.

Colorado and Weber State have only played in recent history. The Wildcats came to Boulder in the 2020 season but played at Kittredge Field due to the spring season weather. Sharts scored the lone goal of the game late in the first half and Dani Hansen made six saves in the shutout victory.

The Buffs will follow the opener with the inaugural Soccer Ball fundraiser held on Saturday night and then will close opening weekend against San Diego on Sunday (4 p.m. MT).

Both matches will be on the Pac-12 Network with Thad Anderson on the call.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponents -

Weber State:
Roster
- https://weberstatesports.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats (for 2021 season) - https://weberstatesports.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2021
Schedule/ results for this season - https://weberstatesports.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2022
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://weberstatesports.com/news/2...r-wildcat-soccer-heads-to-colorado-and-denver

USD:
Roster
- https://usdtoreros.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats (for 2021 season) - https://usdtoreros.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats
Schedule/ results for this season - https://usdtoreros.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2022
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Link to links to Live stats (for both matches) -
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo

Live Video - Both Matches are scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 National and Mountain channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2022/08/18/weber-state-colorado on Thursday and https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2022/08/21/san-diego-colorado on Sunday.

Match notes:
Vs. Weber State -
https://cubuffs.com/documents/2022/8/16/Weber_State2.pdf
Vs. USD - Not available as I type this.

Buffs get their 2nd as Babcock-Chi steals the ball deep and feeds it to James who maneuvers around a defender and slams it through the diving goalie's arms!

Frosh Hayward scores her 1st Buff goal as she runs onto a beautiful pass by Miranda and loops it over the charging goalie!

4-0 Buffs ~65 minutes in.

With less than 2 minutes left, the Buffs earn a penalty kick and frosh Layne (who was also the one who earned the penalty) knocks it in!

5-0 Buffs.

Last edited:
Various media after today's win.

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/8/18/flurry-of-goals-marked-the-start-of-the-2022-season.aspx

"
BOULDER—Colorado junior Shyra James scored two goals, helping propel the Buffaloes to a 5-0 win over Weber State to start the 2022 season on Thursday.

The Buffs used a dominant second half of play to put distance between themselves and the Wildcats, scoring four goals in the final 45 minutes. 25 different Buffs were able to get into the match, including eight newcomers making their Colorado debuts.

"It was great to get everyone good minutes," head coach Danny Sanchez explained. "I thought all the tempo really picked up when we subbed, especially in the second half. I was really pleased with the group as a whole and we're looking forward to San Diego on Sunday."

Junior Rachel Rosen got the onslaught started, notching CU's first goal in the 39th minute. She sent a service from a corner kick that slipped inside the far post untouched for her third career goal, helping the Buffs to a 1-0 lead at the half.

The floodgates opened for the Buffs in the second half.

James scored her two goals in a span of three minutes, netting her first of the day in the 52nd minute off a centering pass from Jade Backcock-Chi. Moments later she gave CU a 3-0 lead, finishing with a header off a corner serve from Amaya Gonzalez.

The two goals extended James' scoring streak from the end of last season. James has now scored in five consecutive games, matching volunteer assistant Nikk Malone's streak of five consecutive games in the 2006 season. The goals were also the 15th and 16th of her career, moving forward into the top 10 on CU's all-time scoring list.

"I've been working really hard this spring and summer to really get in my fitness," James noted. "We've worked on playing as a team and building a culture. I'm excited for what we can do the rest of this season."

The final two goals came off the feet of a pair of freshmen. Juliauna Hayward and Emerson Layne put the icing on the cake with their first collegiate tallies. Hayward slotted one past Mekell Moss in the 65th minute, while Layne buried a late penalty kick in the 89th minute.

"It was amazing," Hayward said her goal. "Honestly, there were two that I missed earlier that I could have made. I was just like 'I'm going to get a goal this half. I feel it.' I came in really confident. The first half was a little off for me with first-game jitters. In the second half I was like 'I got this.' It's just like any other game and I needed to be confident. That goal just really was a high note for me."

The Buffs' five-goal output marked the most goals by a CU team since the team's 6-0 win over Northern Colorado in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament. It was also the most goals scored in an opener since putting in five against Colorado College to open the 2011 season.

"I thought the first half we were running out of ideas," Sanchez added. "It was a little stagnant and I think in the second half, once the game got stretched, our movement got better. The cohesion of the attack is always going to take a little bit longer. It's great to get this game under our belt. But to be fair, we scored five goals. Five good goals. So, it was a good start to the season."

Senior Dani Hansen and sophomore Bella Grust combined for the shutout. Hansen made four saves, before giving way to Grust in the 64th minute.

The Buffs will now look forward to the first annual Soccer Ball on Saturday. The event will help raise funds for the team with a sit-down dinner, silent auction and a paddle raise.

Colorado will return to action on Sunday, hosting San Diego at 1 p.m. The game is Chips' Kids Club Day. There will be inflatables, face painting, yard games and touch a truck.

Notes: Thursday's win was No. 113 for Sanchez at CU. He's now one shy of tying Bill Hempen for most by a CU soccer coach…The Buffs are now 9-0-2 in openers under Coach Sanchez and improved to 16-6-5 all-time…James became the first Buff to score multiple goals in a season-opener since Anne Stuller scored two in a 3-0 win over Northern Colorado to open the 2012 season…CU recorded 13 points on Thursday, the most since 13 against Cal State Fullerton last season (Sept. 9)…Thursday marked the first time CU had two true freshmen score in an opener (Brie Hooks scored two goals as a freshman in the 2013 opener).
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2022/weber-state/boxscore/15878

Highlights -

great second half, first half was a little sloppy and the starters seemed to have low energy. Second group came in and the pace picked up. Great corner by Rosen, but the Weber goalie may have been interfered with. 2nd half was 100% different and the buffs played fast and really pressured Weber. Really impressed with Lister the more I see her play. She always is going forward and has skills. Hit the crossbar with a shot right before Lake hit the free kick. Nice to see Cardenas running around and playing without a brace. it has been a minute for that

I watched the first 20 min or so and agree on the low energy level and general sloppiness comment. I’m glad the found their energy and rhythm but they can’t afford to come out flat in some of those upcoming matches

Nothing I witnessed in CU’s 5-0 win Thursday changed my mind about this Buff side. They have the most depth of any team I can remember and will be much better than last season’s team in terms of goal production.

After an anemic start to the match the Buffs put in a number of second teamers. This group immediately put their energy to effect by putting more into the attack. Rachel Rosen who was a starter last season at forward is now playing left back. On her first corner kick she bent the ball directly into the net with her left foot. This is a very rare feet :) and is known as an “olimpico.” Weber State’s keeper protested that she was interfered with but the center official didn’t buy it.

As has been the case during the Sanchez era - as best as I can remember - CU came out in a 4-3-3. The starting back line from left to right:

Laswon Willis (JR) - Phoenix Miranda (SO) - Hannah Sharts (SR) - Hannah Cardenes - (SR)

This was Cardenes’ first fully healthy match since her freshman season. She played without a knee brace and looked very comfortable on the ball. From her outside back spot she didn’t push forward as much as Willis, but I would guess she will in the future.

Weber State produced a few shots on goal in the first half, but all were from distance and none tested Dani Hansen.

CU’s starting midfield was from back to front:

Jade Babcock-Chi (SR) Juliauna Hayward (FR)

Amaya Gonzalez (SR)

Gonzalez played the holding midfield role with a lot of energy and passion. She looked to disrupt Weber State’s attack and when she won the ball moved it wisely. Freshman Mallory Allen was her backup and played the role very well.

Babcock-Chi as she has been the case entire career is wise with the ball and will continually look to set up teammates. Hayward looked nervous in the first half but was going full throttle in the second. She consistently made runs from deep that got her in position to score. On the third big chance she created she found the back of the net. This won’t be the only goal she scores this season. Once she gets more comfortable at the college level and with her teammates she is gonna be a consistent pest. Coming off the bench, junior Hannah Duguid continued to impress with her ability to hold and advance the ball into dangerous areas under pressure.

Keep in mind with the midfield that Jenny Beyer wasn’t available for this match and Ellen Jones played outside back in this match. Again, this goes to a tremendous amount of depth.

Up top the starters were:

Kayleigh Webb (SR) - Shyra James (JR) - Civana Kuhlmann (SR)

Kuhlmann was able to create some chances for herself and with time will be a continuous threat. She is coming off an injury and playing with a new team.

James continues to get into positions to score and follows through. In this match her first goal came off a centering pass from Babcock-Chi and the second was a free header from a corner from Gonzalez.

Off the bench freshmen Emerson Layne and Leila Lister were frequently threatening. They were making smart runs with and without the ball. Layne was rewarded when she drew a penalty kick and converted. Lister will break through soon.

Weber State will be solid in their conference (Big Sky), but wouldn’t be competitive in the Pac 12. Regardless, the Buffs talent and depth will be a factor in every match this season. ‘

Up next for CU is San Diego who lost at DU 0-1 on Thursday night. Weber State is at DU on Sunday.

Kuhlman with her 2nd of the match off assists from Ghrts and Babcock-Chi!

3-0 Buffs in the 55th mirnute.

Buffs get to 5 for the 2nd time this season as Duke (from Beyer) scores off yet another corner kick!

Back