What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL opens 2022 season hosting Green Bay and Western Michigan (Fri., 8/26, 10:00 AM & 7:00 PM MT) & Denver (Sat., 6:00 PM MT)

Media after tonight's hard fought win.

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/8/27/volleyball-middles-rally-colorado-to-comeback-over-denver.aspx

"
BOULDER — Colorado women's volleyball completed a wild comeback against Denver in a full five sets (25-14, 21-25, 23-25, 25-23, 15-9) here Saturday evening to finish undefeated this weekend in the Buffs Invitational.

The Buffs (3-0) dominated the match with 23 blocks, holding Denver (0-3) to a .143 hitting percentage as both Alexia Kuehl and Meegan Hart picked up their first career double-doubles.

Hart, the tournament's Most Valuable Player, had 12 kills while hitting .480 and 11 blocks. Kuehl added 11 kills with 10 blocks, hitting .333. Hart finished the tournament with 40 kills hitting .543 with 18 total blocks while Kuehl had 22 total blocks, averaging 1.83 per set.

Lexi Hadrych racked up 20 kills, leading all players, with an incredible .341 hitting percentage. She also put together a solid defensive performance with 14 digs and four blocks, recording her first double-double as a Buff. Also for Colorado, Maya Tabron had 14 kills hitting .194.

The CU offense was led by Taylor Simpson with an impressive 47 assists, along with Brynna DeLuzio who stepped in alongside Sterling Parker to spark the comeback for Colorado. DeLuzio had 10 assists and three digs while Parker added five blocks in limited minutes.

The block was the difference in the match as CU put up 23 total, the most since Nov. 18, 2018 when Naghede Abu set the CU single game record with 17 block assists. CU only committed 19 errors in five sets, including zero in the fifth, while DU committed 33 leading to a .291 to .143 hitting percentage difference.

The Buffaloes will stay in Boulder next week awaiting their matchups against No.17-ranked Illinois on Saturday, September 3rd at 2:30 p.m and Iowa on Sunday, September 4th at 1:30 p.m.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney
On The Match

"I'm obviously happy to win. That's a very good team, even though they struggled in their first two matches, that's kind of the team that I thought we would see. They played a 6-2 early and went to the 5-1, I think they're better in the 5-1 for sure. You know, when we win a first set easy, I get uneasy, because we tend to let down. I think we did that in the second set, and then it became a little bit of a dogfight. When you play a match and you hit .290 and the other team hits .140, you shouldn't go five (sets), right? We found ways to give them points in stretches. We've got to fix some things, but this match identified those things, I think this weekend identified some of those things. We'll get back to the gym on Monday and prepare for next week."

ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
Colorado

Meegan Hart (MVP) (COLORADO)
Alexia Kuehl (COLORADO)
Taylor Simpson (COLORADO)
Logan Case (WESTERN MICHIGAN)
Maggie King (WESTERN MICHIGAN)
Tiffany Paalman (GREEN BAY)
Lorrin Poulter (DENVER)
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=15902

The team made the win a lot harder than it needed to be. Service errors and sometimes looked totally out of sync but they got the W.

Will see what they are made of against Illinois on Friday.

Jesse's teams tend to have too many service errors. I know he wants them to go for the corners, etc. but it has always seemed to me, if you aren't accomplishing back, then get the ball into play.

What do I know? I don't get paid to coach.

Jesse's teams tend to have too many service errors. I know he wants them to go for the corners, etc. but it has always seemed to me, if you aren't accomplishing back, then get the ball into play.

yeah, there was one point in the second set where I think they did 4 service errors in a row and then gave them points with hitting errors as well. I would rather see them put the ball in play rather than have a huge amount of errors

When my daughter was playing 14u, I told the coach that she should quit teaching anything else until every player could get their serves in. The games were completely decided by service errors. The coach wasn’t amused.

There are some players who I figure in my mind that it will be a service error when they step to the line. I know there is a limit on substitutions but shouldn't serving being one of the things a player knows how to do to get a DI scholarship?

Back