1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe it is early, but what are CU's chances to make the tourney...

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by leftybuff, Mar 2, 2012.

1. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

If they beat OSU they have a 20 win season, a middle of the pack fininsh in the P12. That, in and of itself, probably won't get it done, how far do they have to go in the P12 tourney toget an invite? Having back to back 20 win seasons and ending up in the NIT both times would kind of suck...

2. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

THey have to win the tournament

3. leftybuff

Is that all?

I was afraid of that. I don't folow BB as close as some of you. I was hoping with 20 wins and a decent showing at the tourney (i.e. a couple of wins) they might get a look.

4. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

Yeah - we'll have to win the tourney. We have no impressive wins and a few horrific losses.

5. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Pac-12 tourney title or bust...and by bust I meant the NIT...

6. SECOBuffsFan

SECOBuffsFan Active Member

I don't think the NIT is a bust for this young team...many were saying they might not even make a post season tournament at the beginning of the year...more chances for the younger players to get exposure to get ready for some promising years to come

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

20 wins is a pretty meaningless stat these days on it's own. it's purely cosmetic. NIT was and still is a reasonable accomplishment for this team imo. lotta reasons to be optimistic moving forward.

8. leftybuff

I'm not down on them at all, I just was hoping they'd get a shot at the NCAA. Boyle seems to be doing a good job, even though I was a little critical of MB with the hire, it looks like he got this one right. I think CU BB is on the upswing.

9. Bone Buff

Bone Buff Well-Known Member

Our OOC SOS blew this year, the Pac 12 in general sucked this year. 20 win season in the Big XII would normally get you in just on how strong the conference is.

10. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

translation: we beat a bunch of crappy teams instead of getting killed on the road to teams like Duke and Syracuse.

11. buffs

buffs Club Member Club Member

NIT bound.

12. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I dont know how our OOC SOS compared to previous years, I would imagine it was probably better. This year we dont have the strength of the BigXII to bump our overall SOS up.

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I would tend to agree that 20 wins in a season, in and of itself, is pretty shallow these days. For us, the chance for back-to-back 20 win seasons is pretty big, since I don't think we've ever done that. As a fan, I would feel that the team/program is making real progress and that the culture is changing.

I have tried to temper my excitement this season. Before it started, I thought 18 wins, being 6-7 in the conference standings, and a postseason bid (most likely NIT), would be reasonable expectations. I got a little more caught up than I should have -- but I guess that's just fandom.

A bid to the NIT will do, altho, I'd really love to see the Buffs win the conference tourney and break the dance card.

14. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

id say championship game and keep it close might get us there...

15. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

We won't get in if we make it to the title game, we have to win it. No good enough wins and low SOS with a low ish RPI.

16. BuffCat

BuffCat Club Member Club Member

Tourney? Win the Pac tournament. But in my mind, it's still a success. We have multiple chances to win 20 games again as a program that in 111 years has never won 20 games two years in a row.
    If we wanted an at-large bid we shouldn't have lost to CSU, Wyoming, Stanford at home or Oregon on the road. However, given our preseason expectations and the players we lost, this season is unquestionably a success.

In Tad I trust.

SECOBuffsFan and Mick Ronson like this.