1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's Tennis National Championship

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by CVilleBuff, May 21, 2013.

1. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

#2 Virginia won the national championship today over #1 UCLA. UVA finishes season 30-0 after numerous years of losing in the championship to USC. Epic ending. Teams were 3-3 a piece, UCLA leading final set 5-3 with match point, when Virginia stormed back to win that match, break serve twice and win set 7-5.

2. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I still can't believe we dropped a Top 25 program that cost the AD so little money (few scholarships & shared facilities with a women's program).

3. cmgoods

cmgoods Olympic Sports Mod Club Member

I hear the women's final was just as crazy too.

4. CVilleBuff

Yup. Extremely disappointing. I'm dying to get men's tennis back, and frankly would support doing so even before adding men's lacrosse. Tennis can succeed in Colorado (as we saw in the past). The first part of the season is always indoors, anyway. And for instance, this outdoor final took place at UIllinois, in which teams like Ohio State were present in the semifinals. It's not some tropical sport. The Pac-12 would offer an absolutely fantastic opportunity. It's the "SEC" of tennis.

5. CVilleBuff

Didn't follow it as closely, but I see Stanford won in a nailbiter 4-3 over aTm.

Should add that in the men's one, on match point with UCLA leading the set 5-3, the UCLA player seemingly won the point but then hit the net with his racket (and thus was penalized, lost point).