What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn

Where do you rank Mike Bohn?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 8.5%

Votes: 28 26.4%

Votes: 45 42.5%

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • TBA yet leaning bad (explain in post)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • TBA yet leaning good (explain in post)

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters
Neinas got Bohn the CU job and his office is in Gunbarrel, so I can see why Bohn went that route, but if you make the decision to outsource your due diligence then you have to take responsibility when it doesn't work out.

Valmont and Foothills isnt Gunbarrel....

I think its strange that so many give him a pass because of the "other stuff" he allegedly does so well. The only reason fans care about the "other stuff" is because, ostensibly, all the PR and fan relations crap is supposed to build the foundations for a winning program; it isn't an ends on its own. Are we cheering for athletic teams, or cheering for media relations rhetoric? The vast majority of CU students and fans care orders of magnitude more about the football team winning games than they do about anything else related to CU sports, and giving a clueless, in-over-his-head coach a multi-year extension as a reward for a losing season crippled our ability to do that, long-term even.

Regarding Boyle, the basketball team having an NIT-quality season due to the previous HC fluke-recruiting a superstar is simply not yet grounds for that hire to be declared a sort of spectacular success.

At bare minimum, I will see CU post a winning season in football or make an NCAA tourney appearance in basketball before I will call Bohn's tenure here anything but disappointing. And after five years here, that simply isn't setting the bar that high. At all.

I know it sucks that we had to go through that five year stretch of Dan Hawkins plus some bad basketball years but getting 40k to football games during that five year run is a job well done by Bohn.

Now we need to be willing to wipe the slate clean because we are going into a new conference which provides Bohn the oppournity to raise serious cash for the AD and I strongly believe he needs another five years before we even consider a new AD. When you change classifications at the high school level, it generally takes five to six years to get that school up to par unless that school is a powerhouse from the lower classification. It also took the Big 12 5 to 6 years before some teams started to step up and some teams that took a step down. I don't think we will know how the transition to the Pac-12 will go until at least our fourth year in that conference.

Remember Gary Barnett talked about CU football being a gold mine waiting to be mined all those years? I believe it had something to do with CU being in the Pac-12. Now that gold mine is now open for business and Bohn will have to start mining it.

I know it sucks that we had to go through that five year stretch of Dan Hawkins plus some bad basketball years but getting 40k to football games during that five year run is a job well done by Bohn.

Now we need to be willing to wipe the slate clean because we are going into a new conference which provides Bohn the oppournity to raise serious cash for the AD and I strongly believe he needs another five years before we even consider a new AD. When you change classifications at the high school level, it generally takes five to six years to get that school up to par unless that school is a powerhouse from the lower classification. It also took the Big 12 5 to 6 years before some teams started to step up and some teams that took a step down. I don't think we will know how the transition to the Pac-12 will go until at least our fourth year in that conference.

Remember Gary Barnett talked about CU football being a gold mine waiting to be mined all those years? I believe it had something to do with CU being in the Pac-12. Now that gold mine is now open for business and Bohn will have to start mining it.

5 years??? We're moving from one BCS conference to another, it's not like we're moving up a division. I'm sure there will be an adjustment to unfamiliar surroundings, but if it takes 5-6 years to be competetive it will be under a new coaching staff and a new AD.

Here's the thing: In the late 80's, CU wasn't prepared for success. We were a downtrodden program that caught lightning in a bottle and rode that wave of success for a solid 15 years. The leadership we had didn't do anything to build on that success. We should have been doing many of the same things we're doing today back in 1988. We didn't. We didn't think we needed to. Marolt & Tharp were under the impression that success on the field/court led to overall success of the athletic department. Very little investment was made in the infrastructure of the athletic department at all. So along comes Mike Bohn and he has a long, long way to go in order to bring it back up to the standard of our peers. We're still not there, as they keep moving too. Bohn wants to create an atmosphere that has people coming to games regardless of opponent or record. Marolt & Tharp wanted to have success on the field in order to get people in the seats. It's a different way of doing things, but I don't think you can argue with the results thus far. The community is far more engaged. Fan support is much better, and the overall health of the department is good in spite of the on-field results. Once those turn around, CU will be in a position to have long term, sustained success across the board.

Back