1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monday Grab Bag: My lawn, get off of it.

Discussion in 'CU Buffs Newsroom' started by RSSBot, Feb 10, 2014.

1. RSSBot

RSSBot News Junkie

The topic du jour on twitter today was student attendance at basketball games.* The conversation was too sprawling to succinctly link, but a perusal of the timelines of @TZiskBuff, @William_Whelan, @RyanKoenigsberg, @CUGoose, @AngryAndy720, and @JGIsland from this afternoon will get you caught up to speed.* To summarize: the student attendance this year is disappointing to the point that a handful of grown men spent a portion of their work day discussing it.

Was there sarcasm?* Oh yes.* Catty generalities?* You betcha!* Allusions to ski slopes and pot smoking?* Indeed. And those were just my tweets!

Having covered this territory last year, I'm disinclined to waste another 1,000 words on the subject, so I'll abbreviate. Suffice to say: kids aren't coming in the ways they used to.* Whole swaths of the south end of the arena were bare over the recent homestand, and it's only getting worse. At a time when the loyal and the passionate are trolling for votes, the empty seats undercut any claims of being the 'Student Section of the Year,' and generally elicit eye rolls.
    [​IMG]
    The students at tip of the Utah game. *It was worse on Sunday.
    Are there reasonable excuses for an individual student to not attend a given basketball game?* Of course there are.* Life is a varied, wonderful thing that your average 20-year old would do well to pursue to its fullest.* But how, why 10% of the student body at a flagship university can't be bothered to support a winning basketball program - incidentally, in spite of injuries, off to their best start in 45 years - is beyond me.* Complaints of 'lack of administrative support' and 'reduced incentive to attend' strike me as entitled and soft.* We, as in BuffNation as a whole, should be better than this.

This frustration is not leveled at those who show up.* The 500-1,000 kids who work their butts off in support of the team deserve the traditional kudos.* It's the other 2,000 fans who have decided to spend their hoop nights elsewhere that are raising my temperature.* At the end of the day, on a night when the founding fathers of the C-Unit were being honored, the student section was maybe 1/3 full... for a team with 18 wins in 3rd place in the Pac-12.* Simply inexcusable when compared to where the kids were only a few months ago. The team deserves better.

90% of life continues to be showing up... so, you know... show up.* No excuses, play like a champion.* Also, get off my lawn.

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking basketball, basketball, and more basketball.

Click below for the bag...

Read more »[​IMG]

The topic du jour on twitter today was student attendance at basketball games.* The conversation was too sprawling to succinctly link, but a perusal of the timelines of @TZiskBuff, @William_Whelan, @RyanKoenigsberg, @CUGoose, @AngryAndy720, and @JGIsland from this afternoon will get you caught up to speed.* To summarize: the student attendance this year is disappointing to the point that a handful of grown men spent a portion of their work day discussing it.

Was there sarcasm?* Oh yes.* Catty generalities?* You betcha!* Allusions to ski slopes and pot smoking?* Indeed. And those were just my tweets!

Having covered this territory last year, I'm disinclined to waste another 1,000 words on the subject, so I'll abbreviate. Suffice to say: kids aren't coming in the ways they used to.* Whole swaths of the south end of the arena were bare over the recent homestand, and it's only getting worse. At a time when the loyal and the passionate are trolling for votes, the empty seats undercut any claims of being the 'Student Section of the Year,' and generally elicit eye rolls.
    [​IMG]
    The students at tip of the Utah game. *It was worse on Sunday.
    Are there reasonable excuses for an individual student to not attend a given basketball game?* Of course there are.* Life is a varied, wonderful thing that your average 20-year old would do well to pursue to its fullest.* But how, why 10% of the student body at a flagship university can't be bothered to support a winning basketball program - incidentally, in spite of injuries, off to their best start in 45 years - is beyond me.* Complaints of 'lack of administrative support' and 'reduced incentive to attend' strike me as entitled and soft.* We, as in BuffNation as a whole, should be better than this.

This frustration is not leveled at those who show up.* The 500-1,000 kids who work their butts off in support of the team deserve the traditional kudos.* It's the other 2,000 fans who have decided to spend their hoop nights elsewhere that are raising my temperature.* At the end of the day, on a night when the founding fathers of the C-Unit were being honored, the student section was maybe 1/3 full... for a team with 18 wins in 3rd place in the Pac-12.* Simply inexcusable when compared to where the kids were only a few months ago. The team deserves better.

90% of life continues to be showing up... so, you know... show up.* No excuses, play like a champion.* Also, get off my lawn.

--

Today in the bag, I'm talking basketball, basketball, and more basketball.

Click below for the bag...

Read more »[​IMG]

Originally posted by The Rumblings of a Deranged Buffalo
    Click here to view the article.