What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

BatBuff

Athlon’s Ranking of 2018 Pac-12 Quarterbacks:

1. K. Tate, UA
2. J. Browning, UW
3. J. Herbert, UO
4. T. Huntley, Utah
5. M. Wilkins, ASU
6. K.J. Costello, Stan
7. S. Montez, CU
8. R. Bowers, Cal
9. J.T. Daniels, USC
10. D. Modster, UCLA
11. T. Tinsley, WSU
12. J. Luton, OSU

I don't really have a good grasp on any of the QB's in the conference this year. Browning has got to be the favorite to be ranked #1 by the end of the year. Have to wait and see on Tate. Burst on to the scene in the game against us, had a couple other explosive games, but kinda finished the season quietly. Wilkins will probably be decent. Solid QB. Huntley also kind of up and down. We will see. Costello is a guy I like, in the limited games I have seen him play.

Overall, lots of unknowns in the Pac-12 this year. Montez could really turn some heads at the pro level with a good year.

If Herbert stays healthy, he is going to be the clear #1 IMO.
They won the battle for the Wake Forest grad transfer over USC & UT today, but I still don't think he has great WRs. That will hold him back.

I would also expect Tate to regress a little bit. I doubt he will stay healthy and now every team has film of him.

Anyone remember WVU Pat White? Solid running QB and ended up being a WR in the NFL. I think some Pac-12 schools including CU might have dodged a bullet with UA not hiring that Navy coach even if it was possible that he'd cut back on the flexbone offense since he could have used a modern two RB three WR shotgun formation as a replacement for the flexbone.

If Utah's OC returns next season, it would be shocking given how often Kyle Whittingham goes through OCs.

Plus Browing threw for just one more TD pass than Montez last season.

Laviska, Winfree Ento, and J-Mac will personally see to it that Montez finishes in the top quarter. We now just need the o-line to get in line.

Laviska, Winfree Ento, and J-Mac will personally see to it that Montez finishes in the top quarter. We now just need the o-line to get in line.

O-Line is going to be the biggest factor. If Montez consistently gets the time to find his receivers and get the ball down the field for big plays his confidence will get a major boost and he will have an excellent year. If he is running for his life and it becomes a game of dump it before he gets hit his season could go south fast.

Tate was breaking records when he busted out on the scene. Of course he is going to regress. Will be interesting to see if he is consistent in the pass game to stay on top all year. He is the most talented QB coming back, so can see why he was rated one.

Herbert and Castillo could very easily change that though. Both are very talented with good supporting casts. Browning is about as meh as you can get, but does exactly what the UW staff wants him to, so will be in the top 3-4 just because of that.

Anyone remember WVU Pat White? Solid running QB and ended up being a WR in the NFL. I think some Pac-12 schools including CU might have dodged a bullet with UA not hiring that Navy coach even if it was possible that he'd cut back on the flexbone offense since he could have used a modern two RB three WR shotgun formation as a replacement for the flexbone.

If Utah's OC returns next season, it would be shocking given how often Kyle Whittingham goes through OCs.

Plus Browing threw for just one more TD pass than Montez last season.
Is there anyone who doesn't remember Pat White?

They won the battle for the Wake Forest grad transfer over USC & UT today, but I still don't think he has great WRs. That will hold him back.
Is there an equivalent to the Mendoza line in baseball for college WRs?

Teams figured out Tate the last few games. He won’t be in the Heisman discussion come season’s end.

Browning? That guy seems like he’s been around forever. Is he getting a PhD?

Wilkins. Ugh. Every time I see that guy play he looks downright average.

Montez should be a bit higher...but middle 4 makes sense for him. Hope Roper helps turn him into a great QB...with his coaching skills and getting SM’s buy in. CU hasn’t seen a QB this physically talented in a long time...Kordell?. Hope he can put it all together. If he does we will win at least 8 games.

Is he a star in the top third of Pac QBs? No, not even close. But is he garbage that should be benched? No (and I don't think those of us that are critical of the young man are suggesting he be moved to 2nd string). If he makes a marked improvement on accuracy, touch, and making his progressions, I think he could be a top 4 or 5 QB in the Pac this year. That being said, it's not absurd for some of us to questions why some posters have anointed him the second coming when his tape last year was mediocre at best. Can his subpar play last season be chalked up to poor OL and WR play? Maybe. And none of us were in the QB room so we can't be certain why he stopped tucking it to run, and why most of his passes in the second half of the season were 15 yard slants with no look to the 2nd receiver. This is the year he should take his big leap, just call me skeptical.

Wilkins should be much lower on that list. I'd say Tate is overrated but he torched a ton of teams last year after they had our tape.

Back